Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 Day music festival for Bolton Street car park

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

O Riain wrote: »
    If the festival goes well this year would you go into talks with the guys running Daytripper and possibly join it combine them for next year and expand the festival into something much bigger? Im obsessed with the idea of an electric picnic style festival run around the city. Imagine the buzz!

In my perfect world there would be a music festival every day :) But in seriousness, I don't think we'd be much to each other as festival organisers. They've got a handle on a commercial venture which is to be applauded. We sort of don't need to worry about that and have time to concentrate on doing something that's maybe never been done in Ireland before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

old gregg wrote: »
    In my perfect world there would be a music festival every day :) But in seriousness, I don't think we'd be much to each other as festival organisers. They've got a handle on a commercial venture which is to be applauded. We sort of don't need to worry about that and have time to concentrate on doing something that's maybe never been done in Ireland before.

Totally get that but I'd envisage a city festival that would cater for absolutely everyone catering for the commercial and the original. To do that you'd need a multitude of people with different approaches dealing with it. Just a thought!

Totally get that but I'd envisage a city festival that would cater for absolutely everyone catering for the commercial and the original. To do that you'd need a multitude of people with different approaches dealing with it. Just a thought!

Now that would be a really cool event to behold. Yea I'd take part in that for fun.

Now that would be a really cool event to behold. Yea I'd take part in that for fun.

Would the park be suitable for a gig with around 15,000? Would be a savage boost to the city to have a gig where that many people are actually around the city spending money and creating an unbelievable buzz. Something similar to Sónar and I'm surprised it hasnt been tried anywhere else. Obviously logistically it would be difficult but would create a very unique event.

Something like Sónar would be heaven! Then again, Berlin is almost like Sónar every weekend and only a quick jump away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,257 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Would the park be suitable for a gig with around 15,000? Would be a savage boost to the city to have a gig where that many people are actually around the city spending money and creating an unbelievable buzz. Something similar to Sónar and I'm surprised it hasnt been tried anywhere else. Obviously logistically it would be difficult but would create a very unique event.

Id imagine Walsh Park or the RSC (Which has held the Waterford music fest in 2011) would be a good area to have a concert.

I heard that the events building that got stopped early this year out in WIT was suppose attract big name artists to the city.

Hoepfully Daytripper works out

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Id imagine Walsh Park or the RSC (Which has held the Waterford music fest in 2011) would be a good area to have a concert.

I heard that the events building that got stopped early this year out in WIT was suppose attract big name artists to the city.

Hoepfully Daytripper works out

The WIT building would have been too far out really for a city festival. All the events would need to be in close proximity of each other in order to allow people to get to and from each gig do ya get me? Any update on the WIT building actually? It was gearing up to be quiet a well needed and important piece of infastructure for the city!

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭skaface

Just checked it there on songkick and noticed that all their gigs are about the same price so I'll take back what I said about the gig being overpriced. I thought Madness gigs would be cheaper.....

Why did you think MADNESS would be cheaper???
    Fcuk sake, i paid 60 euro to see them in the O2 Dublin in November..
    40 euro is a steal, no pleasing some folk..

skaface wrote: »
    Why did you think MADNESS would be cheaper???
    Fcuk sake, i paid 60 euro to see them in the O2 Dublin in November..
    40 euro is a steal, no pleasing some folk..

Well nof everyones first choice in music would be ska.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭skaface

Well nof everyones first choice in music would be ska.

Tell you what you know about MADNESS :rolleyes:
    Their first album would have been Ska, after that they changed with the times, and became one of the best pop bands ever to come out of the UK.
    Hey buddy, nobody forced you to go to the gig.. stop bitchin about it

• Advertisement

skaface wrote: »
    Tell you what you know about MADNESS :rolleyes:
    Their first album would have been Ska, after that they changed with the times, and became one of the best pop bands ever to come out of the UK.
    Hey buddy, nobody forced you to go to the gig.. stop bitchin about it

Tells you what anyone would know about madness. Im not saying im not going to enjoy the gig all I said was it seems a bit pricey. I took that back when I saw that the prices are the same for all their concerts. Your obviously a bit mad formadness cause your taking this to heart :/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

people on here are saying wouldnt it be great to have a big gig with 15000 people in the park yet there is a portion of the people on here complaining about paying 40€ for a gig thats here now, that is only 2500 tickets. fact is if, Bruce was playing in the park, people would be complaining about the price of the ticket and would still sit on their ar$e in their local. the 'nothing to do in city' brigade is well and truly out there and not shy about spewing out their drivel, yet ask them how many times have they been to a couple of different pubs, bands, theatre royal, garter lane, red kettle, comedy gig etc and they will look at you blankly. Only way to keep Irish people from complaining about music gigs is to have it beside their local, with the option of outdoor when the weather is 20 degrees and it must be an internationally massive band too, oh and be free, maybe then would people not complain.

This topic has come up many times here in the past and I've never really been able to understand why it consistently happens that Waterford folks are reluctant to support live music. Whether it's going back a few years when Ash played Waterford at the height of their success and couldn't fill a small venue in Waterford or now with Madness not achieving a sell-out well in advance of playing here. I believe it has little to do with ticket prices but comes down to how Waterford folks value live music generally. You could probably halve the ticket price and 2500 locals would still not get behind it.

Honestly not hi-jacking the thread for SAW but we had artist submissions from all over Europe and only 2 from Waterford. At the moment, we have people happy to travel from Sweden, Poland, Britain, Malta, France and elsewhere to attend the festival but only a handful of local 'Likes' on our FB page. It would make more business sense for us to move the whole thing to Dublin and that's a real shame (and won't happen).

As a musician I've always found it strange that you can travel anywhere outside of Waterford and meet with really positive vibes from audiences and promoters yet struggle with negativity when you do anything in the place where you live. I sometimes half-joke with local musicians I'm helping out that it's easier to arrange a small European tour than to get a bunch of local paying gigs. That's been my experience after 20+ years doing music.

I really hope the festival this weekend is a huge success for the organisers and that Madness fans all over Ireland travel and turn it into a huge party for everyone.

This topic has come up many times here in the past and I've never really been able to understand why it consistently happens that Waterford folks are reluctant to support live music. Whether it's going back a few years when Ash played Waterford at the height of their success and couldn't fill a small venue in Waterford or now with Madness not achieving a sell-out well in advance of playing here. I believe it has little to do with ticket prices but comes down to how Waterford folks value live music generally. You could probably halve the ticket price and 2500 locals would still not get behind it.

Honestly not hi-jacking the thread for SAW but we had artist submissions from all over Europe and only 2 from Waterford. At the moment, we have people happy to travel from Sweden, Poland, Britain, Malta, France and elsewhere to attend the festival but only a handful of local 'Likes' on our FB page. It would make more business sense for us to move the whole thing to Dublin and that's a real shame (and won't happen).

As a musician I've always found it strange that you can travel anywhere outside of Waterford and meet with really positive vibes from audiences and promoters yet struggle with negativity when you do anything in the place where you live. I sometimes half-joke with local musicians I'm helping out that it's easier to arrange a small European tour than to get a bunch of local paying gigs. That's been my experience after 20+ years doing music.

I really hope the festival this weekend is a huge success for the organisers and that Madness fans all over Ireland travel and turn it into a huge party for everyone.
    i dont think its a Waterford thing, its an Irish thing to complain and do f-all about it. Waterford is suffering from a 25% unemployment rate and a good proportion of our young people leave to go to Dublin etc for employment, they are the main music goers. People in employment in Waterford have lower disposable income than the average Irish person so in reality, you get negativity everywhere in Ireland and Waterford is facing serious economic challenges. I do agree with everyone should get out and support live music, if people supported it more, we would have more and bigger bands visiting.

I think a lack of a decent youth hostel in the city is one of the reasons for this too. It rules out people outside of the city coming in because whrre they may have been able to afford a ticket+cheap hostel room they simply cannot afford a ticket+expensive hotel room. And before anyone says hotels here are cheap, prices are still at least double that of a hostel!

^ a well valid point. It's even an issue for folks travelling to a festival weekend who just want a place to store their stuff even if they don't plan on sleeping much. I'd always opt for cheap accommodation when going to Berlin 'cos who needs a hotel when you won't even be there.

^ a well valid point. It's even an issue for folks travelling to a festival weekend who just want a place to store their stuff even if they don't plan on sleeping much. I'd always opt for cheap accommodation when going to Berlin 'cos who needs a hotel when you won't even be there.

in fairness, there are plenty of cheap rooms available usually.

Max Powers wrote: »
    in fairness, there are plenty of cheap rooms available usually.

Missing the point even though I mentioned it already. A hostel costs around €15 per person and a hotel will cost at least 3 times that per person, even here. €20 quid can be the difference between a person choosing to go a concert and a person not bothering.

Missing the point even though I mentioned it already. A hostel costs around €15 per person and a hotel will cost at least 3 times that per person, even here. €20 quid can be the difference between a person choosing to go a concert and a person not bothering.

€15, fair enough I suppose, curious though, have you much experience of hostelling in Ireland, cant imagine they are anything like that one in Berlin which is probably great. the hostel ddown by Bolton street doesn't look great.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

curious, have you much experience of hostelling in Ireland, cant imagine they are anything like that one in Berlin which is probably great. the hostel ddown by Bolton street doesn't look great

Some great hostels in Dublin like Abigails.
    Perfect if all you need is a place to crash

• Advertisement

€15, fair enough I suppose, curious though, have you much experience of hostelling in Ireland, cant imagine they are anything like that one in Berlin which is probably great. the hostel ddown by Bolton street doesn't look great.

I've stayed in hostels all over the world and that hostel in Bolton street doesn't come close. In my opinion it's something major that Waterford is lacking. Hostels bring young travellers who bring vibrancy and life to a city.

i was in that place (back about 10 years ago) yeah it was grand actually, forgot all about it.

Think we need somethin with a more youth orientated fun vibe in Waterford though..

need to attract the young people here first i reckon, then youth orientated hostels will open, chicken and egg as usual. Anyway, things seem to be happening down bolton street way.

need to attract the young people here first i reckon, then youth orientated hostels will open, chicken and egg as usual. Anyway, things seem to be happening down bolton street way.

Much of a crowd around?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Photos from around Facebook and Twitter. Obviously the ones of the stage were taken before anyone started playing.

5mkWZ4.jpg

7AEV7P.jpg

4CHkV4.jpg

Daytripper Facebook page is posting up photos every few minutes or so.

https://www.facebook.com/daytripper2013?hc_location=stream

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Anyone there last night then?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

Was there last night. Not an imelda fan but the lady is so went. It was great craic. It wasnt packed by any means but the crowd that was there was in good humour. Im going again tommorrow night coronas should be great always. Not a great festival line up but its always nice when something is on

Advertisement