Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

key copy without red master key.

• 04-03-2013 6:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

Looking for some advice on my options with this.
    Tried searching the forum to no avail. Bought a Bike about 9 months ago came with only one black key. Didnt see this as a problem as im carefull with things like keys.
    Recently had an off thanks to a nice cage driver pulling out in front of me. Any way key is bent as a result. Afraid to straighten in case it snaps.
    So what im adking is without the master red key what are my options for getting a second key? Without having to go down the root of changing ecu, ignition etc.
    Any info would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭blu3r0ri0n

riggsfitz wrote: »
    Tried searching the forum to no avail. Bought a Bike about 9 months ago came with only one black key. Didnt see this as a problem as im carefull with things like keys.
    Recently had an off thanks to a nice cage driver pulling out in front of me. Any way key is bent as a result. Afraid to straighten in case it snaps.
    So what im adking is without the master red key what are my options for getting a second key? Without having to go down the root of changing ecu, ignition etc.

I'm no expert but you should be able to get a replacement key and out the chip from the old one to the new one. Apart from that I think a dealership might be able to help you out, probably costly too.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭riggsfitz

The bent key is still turning the barrel and starting the bike my biggest worry would be damaging the chip in the key and then being stuck without a way of starting her. I'll definately be giving the main dealer a call in the morning. Once i get the bike back from the "doctor's" i have a look at the key and see whats involved in removing the chip. But for now theres you tube.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

What bike is it?

'c

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭Faing

Snapped the key in my Blackbird so had to temporarily turn on and off with a screwdriver. I just taped the chip part of the key near the barrel and it worked perfectly well until I got a replacement from Honda dealer. They may ask you for a chassis number etc and proof of ownership before they supply you one but its not a problem to them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Take the key to a certified locksmith/key cutting shop.

They will straightnen the key and/or cut you a replica key aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭Zebbedee

paddy147 wrote: »
    Take the key to a certified locksmith/key cutting shop.

They will straightnen the key and/or cut you a replica key aswell.

You would still need the red key to program the chip in the new cut key assuming it has a chip in it.
    There is a start up sequence where you start the bike with the red key and then shut off, wait a few seconds and then start using the new key.
    Its all in the handbook I think.
    You're just better off going through the hassle of getting the red key for it.
    It's used for performing remaps as well AFAIK

What bike is it?

'c
    Wacker (ninja zx-10r)

Thanks for the info lads. Probably go down the lines of a replacement red key. Was inder the impression that the barrel, cdi and ecu would need to be replaced and it was looking costly and a bit over kill for what is need.
    Also the idea of having the chip on a keyring attached to the key or close to the barrel doesn't sound appealing maybe as a temperary fix but definately not a long term solution.
    Thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Thanks for the info lads. Probably go down the lines of a replacement red key. Was inder the impression that the barrel, cdi and ecu would need to be replaced and it was looking costly and a bit over kill for what is need.
    Also the idea of having the chip on a keyring attached to the key or close to the barrel doesn't sound appealing maybe as a temperary fix but definately not a long term solution.
    Thanks again.

A replacement red key is an ECU change. You should be able to clone the black key, but if you loose it then you need to do the ECU swap to get a new red key.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,637 ✭✭✭Kat1170

You could just get an ordinary key cut and use this while keeping original key on same keyring to activate chip/ecu. Just as a temp measure to stop original key snapping where bend is.

Ps. Will only work if chip just needs to be near ignition and not actually be in the key in ignition.

• Advertisement

Was talking to a local locksmiths and gave me a few options (alot which were suggested here)
    1 cut a normal key and keep orginal on keyring with it.
    2 depending on the key he'll cut key and might be able to clone it (will try this to have a spare key).
    3 if the cloning doesnt work then swap the chip over to the new key.

Depending on what the insurance company says with regards to the bike as i think its going to be an ecomical write off. Wont really be happy about parting with her. As it was the bike i really wanted.

Thanks again everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Was talking to a local locksmiths and gave me a few options (alot which were suggested here)
    1 cut a normal key and keep orginal on keyring with it.
    2 depending on the key he'll cut key and might be able to clone it (will try this to have a spare key).
    3 if the cloning doesnt work then swap the chip over to the new key.

Depending on what the insurance company says with regards to the bike as i think its going to be an ecomical write off. Wont really be happy about parting with her. As it was the bike i really wanted.

Thanks again everyone.

You can keep an economical write off, the insurance company use new parts and main dealer labour rates. If you use 2nd hand parts and an decent indy mechanic you can get it back on the road no bother.

Advertisement