Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best chips in Galway

Options
  • 04-03-2013 6:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭

With Harry Fitz closed I have to say my favourites were the chip shop in Salthill until I went into The Kebab shop on Dominic Street at the week end. Glad to see they have done the place up and also have replaced the old frozen chips with home made ones that were delicious.

What's everyone elses current favourite.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭TheCoolWay

With Harry Fitz closed I have to say my favourites were the chip shop in Salthill until I went into The Kebab shop on Dominic Street at the week end. Glad to see they have done the place up and also have replaced the old frozen chips with home made ones that were delicious.

What's everyone elses current favourite.

Stop making me hungry I have training in an hour!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Mr_A

McDonagh's are the best I've had. Fabulous chips!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I'm a Vinny's fan chip wise, the rest of their stuff is muck but their chips are noms.
    Proper old style Italian chipper chips. Can't bate them with a big schtick dosed in salt and vinegar.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 iasc87

Got chips from the falafel van at the market a few weeks ago. They were amazing, nicest chips I've had in long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Vinnys consistently take the piss after 'drunk o'clock' (but not everyone is on their way home from the pub) with their old chips and half the bag 'grizzle', (though some like that!) so I avoid them after a certain time. They're better a bit earlier.

The Salthill chipper is lovely. McDonaghs is always grand to lovely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

The Salthill traditional chip shop gets my vote as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Vinny's for me.
    Their fish is also delicious and you could feed 2-3 people on the fish & chips portion I've gotten there many times.

Wouldn't be a fan of their burgers though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

McDonagh's for me although I do love a garlic cheese chip from Supermacs after a night on the tiles!!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Salthill and Foster street fish and chip's and Foster streets chicken is really really good is well http://www.whatsfordinner.ie/salthill-fish-chips-1.html

+1 for these guys.

I was absolutely delighted when the rumours came true, and Forster Street opened as another branch of the Salthill shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Salthill and Foster street fish and chip's and Foster streets chicken is really really good is well http://www.whatsfordinner.ie/salthill-fish-chips-1.html

Is the chicken not as good from the salthil place ?I'm always on the trail of good chicken!
    McDonagh's for me although I do love a garlic cheese chip from Supermacs after a night on the tiles!!

I have to interject here to complain about Supermacs chips. I've had them around 3 times the last few months and each time I threw them away because they just weren't fully cooked.We are talking pale,soggy needed an extra 5 minutes in the frier of mush here. Very disappointing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Anyone who wants to road test those chips from the forster street chipper now can for half price it seems. 8 euro for a meal for two.

http://deals.advertiser.ie/galway-restaurant-forster_street_fish_chips//

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Fooker

I do like the kettle of Fish.

I think McDonagh's has went downhill the last few years quality wize and the prices have gone up too think.

Vinnies too are very good, but besides the chips... meh

The charcoal grill's taco-sauce is brilliant at certain times..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,467 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Had the Kebab Shop ones last night. Not bad at all. They had been sitting on the warmer thingy but were still hot and fluffy even after an eight minute walk home with them.
    The Salad Kebab thing wasn't as successful though. The bottom of the pitta was still a bit frozen even though he had put it in the toaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Mr. Chrome

Jesus I really miss the original kebab shop, used to live on those yokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,467 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

The original place was class alright. Sitting under the stairs sloberring lol. Don't think I've tasted sauces like them since.

Monster kebab with double cheese please!

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

Mr. Chrome wrote: »
    Jesus I really miss the original kebab shop, used to live on those yokes.

Was that in the same location? Stairs on the left of the door?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

The original place was class alright. Sitting under the stairs sloberring lol. Don't think I've tasted sauces like them since.

Great memories alright, the sauce was to die for.

aw wrote: »

It was where the kebab house is now but had different owners, across the road from oscars.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

we will never have a kebab like that again - sitting on the stairs eating the kebab that was wrapped in silver wrap - no stryfoam boxes then - with the sauce dribbling down to your elbow. ahh I can taste it now. :D

• Advertisement

aw wrote: »

stairs was straight ahead - counter to the left

Mr. Chrome wrote: »
    It was where the kebab house is now but had different owners, across the road from oscars.

that and bamboo were the two originals.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

I like McDonaghs and that new Forster Street's chipper is quality aswell

However a few shcoops in Roisin Dubh followed by bag of Vinny's chips soaked in salt and vinegar = *drooling*

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 204 ✭✭GuessWho2009

Is the chicken not as good from the salthil place ?I'm always on the trail of good chicken!

they only do chicken in the foster street branch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Chips in Massimo are pretty damn fine. Vinny's chips are good too, agree about the earlier the better.

Based on this thread I'm now going to get some chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

I have to say I've had Chips from the Salthill Chip shop a couple of times and I wasn't impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Mac Conmara

The Homeplate's deepfried potatoes are pretty mint, but McDonagh's will always be the go-to.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

I have to try the ones in Massimo- deep fried in duck fat. meant to be lovely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭Tsipras

Mcdonaghs! Form is temporary class is permanent...

• Advertisement
Advertisement