Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

transferring australian superannuation to ireland

Options
  • 04-03-2013 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

Hi,

Has anyone ever transferred their australian superannuation (pension) to Irish Pension without paying the Australian 35% tax when taking it out of Australia?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭sillybilly

anyone done this?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

No but you should (subject to the relevant double tax treaty) get credit for any tax witheld in computing your overall tax liabilty in your country of ordinary residence.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭sillybilly

anyone any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭LJ82

I don't know if it can be done to be honest, my oh is an nz citizen that worked in aus for years, think when he looked into it they said he had to out of the country for x number of years, all I know really is that it was very hard to get any info on it, good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭kjbsrah1

I think you can take the cash once you satisfy certain criteria - such as proving you paid the super only cos you were on a working holiday visa. Its something i have to look into too - but i have not quite got round to it.

Do a search with Google and you should find some instructions. Last time i looked, you had to apply directly to your super supplier - even if you worked with several employers while in Australia, you must approach each superannuation fund directly with your tax file number. Thats what i got from a cursory search on Google, but as i say i have yet to actually do anything about it.

Let us know how you get on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

I did this last year, could find a way of not paying it but I took a lump sum, wasn't going to be heading back.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭purelike

No idea if you can get it without paying 35% tax. I'm currently going through the process of trying to get my super back. I had to apply to the super company to get it back. It is taking ages, I applied over a month ago and no end is in sight.

Maybe the 35% tax can be claimed when you apply for your tax back? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭kjbsrah1

How did you go about it Vorsprung? Was it hassle? Or was it worth your while?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

I did this a couple of months back. Had to pay the tax, there was no way around it. Even though I could claim back the tax that I was paying each week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

That should have been "couldn't find a way not to pay it".

Sorry :o

• Advertisement
Advertisement