Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HTPC Build... Any advice from the veterans?!

• 04-03-2013 8:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys..

Been looking around the sub forum for a few weeks now and got a few idea's I'd like to see if its possible.

I'd like to do a build for under my HD TV but also if possible to replace my DVD player and support my surround sound speakers.

So I that's HDMI and Audio ( Actual speaker wire input? )...

Would this be possible?

I was looking to use an SSD only as I have a few tb's of Movies and TV Shows on External's.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

Supporting your surround sound speakers depends on how they are currently connected. A lot of people have DVD players with amps built in and their speakers connected to that. In which case you would need to buy an amp (which would probably be overkill for the speakers that would generally come with a combo setup), or continue using the DVD player (which should support some sort of audio input).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Newtown90

Knasher wrote: »
    Supporting your surround sound speakers depends on how they are currently connected. A lot of people have DVD players with amps built in and their speakers connected to that. In which case you would need to buy an amp (which would probably be overkill for the speakers that would generally come with a combo setup), or continue using the DVD player (which should support some sort of audio input).

Yes its an old DVD setup within an inbuilt amp..

I was hoping to get rid of the DVD player!..

Forgot to say i have a budget of €500/600, want it some what future proof.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Never heard of a internal amp in a pc. I imagine it wouldn't be a good idea as there would be too much interference (crosstalk) from the other components inside the pc.

Does your DVD/surround all-in-one have any inputs (eg digital coax or optical) ?

If so you could keep using it.

Does your DVD/surround all-in-one have any inputs (eg digital coax or optical) ?

If so you could keep using it.

The only connection it has is a Scart mate... Think I got it in '06 so needs an upgrade.

If its easier get an Amp that's fine, can pick up one handy enough off ebay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

My advice woudl depend on what sort of Space you have for your Seperates or an all on one.

An slimline Atom Based HTPC running a Linux xbmc Distro off an SD card or USB stick would be a great option. If you spend some cash on a decent Surround Sound amplifier and speakers which take teh sound in over the HDMI and you're laughing.

If you had decent speakers you could forgo the amp and invest in a really good surround sound sound card and hook directly into that but I'd prob use windows 7 and a small SSD, 32 gig is fine and can be got inexpensivly nowadays.

My advice woudl depend on what sort of Space you have for your Seperates or an all on one.

An slimline Atom Based HTPC running a Linux xbmc Distro off an SD card or USB stick would be a great option. If you spend some cash on a decent Surround Sound amplifier and speakers which take teh sound in over the HDMI and you're laughing.

If you had decent speakers you could forgo the amp and invest in a really good surround sound sound card and hook directly into that but I'd prob use windows 7 and a small SSD, 32 gig is fine and can be got inexpensivly nowadays.

The speakers I have are pretty decent, gave a lot of money for the kit when extending the house a few years back.

What I have is a small 2 shelf cabinet with the tv on top..

First shelf is a Vu Duo so that's the satellite etc sorted.

2nd shelf will now be the amp.

So whatever HTPC I build or buy will have to be small size wise to squeeze in next to the Vu+...

Preferences for the OS was windows 7 anyhow and I was hoping to run Media Portal on that.

As regards with the HPTC itself I'm not sure where to start..

Am I best buying or building?... Can spend about 300 - 350ish now if Im buying the amp seperate!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

If it was my setup I would be thinking more along the lines of replacing the vu duo with a dual DVB-S2 & DVB-T tuner card and integrating live tv into the HTPC for a seamless UI.

sink wrote: »
    If it was my setup I would be thinking more along the lines of replacing the vu duo with a dual DVB-S2 & DVB-T tuner card and integrating live tv into the HTPC for a seamless UI.

I work on a few different satellite websites/forums so my satellite receivers change every few months so that's not really an option.

I think I simple Acer Revo will satisfy my needs really if my idea of an inbuilt amp is out the window?

I've never heard of an inbuilt AMP in a PC, so I'd be betting that is right out.

My setup is a 1st gen Aspire Revo, with DVB T and S USB cards, a CEC adapter because I already have enough remotes with extra RAM (because the RAM is shared with the graphics card, might not be the case with newer systems) running XBMC and linux.

Mostly it is a capable little system. It handles most video I though at it without issue and it is almost completely silent. The only video I have a problem with is stuff encoded with 10bit video (which isn't accelerated by the GPU), though that is only used with anime, and an intermittent issue with interlaced video (i.e. dvb-t and s video).

• Advertisement

Cheers mate, its between the Revo and this:

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/ZOTAC-Z-BOX-ID12-ATOM-D525-HDMI-HTPC-MINI-PC-/261083581591?pt=UK_Computing_DesktopPCs&hash=item3cc9cb4c97#ht_2848wt_1271

Stupid question but all I need to add to the above is an SSD and some ram ya?

And an os obviously.

Glenviewjf wrote: »
    Cheers mate, its between the Revo and this:

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/ZOTAC-Z-BOX-ID12-ATOM-D525-HDMI-HTPC-MINI-PC-/261083581591?pt=UK_Computing_DesktopPCs&hash=item3cc9cb4c97#ht_2848wt_1271

Stupid question but all I need to add to the above is an SSD and some ram ya?

And an os obviously.
    Had a quick read up on the graphics card that is in that zotac, and I can't say I'd recommend it at all. http://www.anandtech.com/print/2889

The reason that the my first gen revo was able to handle h264 so well, was because the comparatively week cpu was paired with a pretty good gpu which does all the heavy lifting for h264, without that the atom wouldn't be able to cope at all (or at least the single core version I use wouldn't be able).

You can still get boards that have nvidia gpus paired with atom processors, my recommendation would be one of those or something with a newer core i3 processor that can do h264 acceleration on its build in gpu.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Remouad

Knasher wrote: »
    Had a quick read up on the graphics card that is in that zotac, and I can't say I'd recommend it at all. http://www.anandtech.com/print/2889

The reason that the my first gen revo was able to handle h264 so well, was because the comparatively week cpu was paired with a pretty good gpu which does all the heavy lifting for h264, without that the atom wouldn't be able to cope at all (or at least the single core version I use wouldn't be able).

You can still get boards that have nvidia gpus paired with atom processors, my recommendation would be one of those or something with a newer core i3 processor that can do h264 acceleration on its build in gpu.

Have you checked out the Arctic MC001?

bunch of boardies have bought them from amazon.de including myself.

Remouad wrote: »

Have you checked out the Arctic MC001?

bunch of boardies have bought them from amazon.de including myself.

It's amazon :-(

I would get it only I have all my funds in a PayPal account which is why amazon is out :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 4 jacksonn72

Wrong thread. Apologies.

Advertisement