Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baikal's are plain, right ?

Options
  • 04-03-2013 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭

Something caught my eye when having a look in a dealer's gunroom the other day; Baikals are supposed to be plain and functional right ? Until I came accross this one:

http://www.sportsden.ie/guns/gun-showroom/shotguns/baikel-28-12g.html

It's definitely pre-1991 as it's made in the USSR but from the general look and feel of it I'd say it's a reasonably well looked after 1970's or 80's gun and it looks, feels and handles like a quality German gun.

Now my question for those who know about Baikals, was this a gun made for some class of apparatchik or was this an attempt at a more sophisticated export model. Was it Soviet made at all or is it actually one of the better old DDR made German guns disguised as a Soviet made gun ?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Maybe i'm missing it, but it looks bog standard to me. :confused:
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

Cass wrote: »
    Maybe i'm missing it, but it looks bog standard to me. :confused:

And me , i had one years ago , good strong gun for rough shooting but nothing special. When some big wig in the communist party wanted a gun they didn't buy a baikal but a vostok.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Jimy1971

rowa wrote: »

And me , i had one years ago , good strong gun for rough shooting but nothing special. When some big wig in the communist party wanted a gun they didn't buy a baikal but a vostok.

That's just standard alright. Just traded 1 with ejectors.Couldn't wait to get rid of the piece of sh1t.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Sorry guys, maybe the picture isn't telling the full story. It's just a lot neater in finish and feels a lot more balanced, lighter and points a lot more fluidly than the standard Baikal S/S.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭patdahat

By the sound's of it, I think you found your next gun. Look's like a short stock.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I thought it was going to be some GT model they had just released.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

patdahat wrote: »
    By the sound's of it, I think you found your next gun. Look's like a short stock.

I actually haven't, I'm settling for an A5 as an all purpose shottie. I know they're old at this stage but the quality of those guns was incredible and spare parts are relatively easy to source. And if it comes to that they can be modified to steel shot pressures as well.

Advertisement