Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

revision help

Options
  • 04-03-2013 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Hi :-) just wondering is there anybody out there that is actually good at Irish and maths? I know you are a rare bread! :-) if so, could anyone just give me a few tips or pointers on how to improve my grades in them. In the mocks I got 40% in Irish and 51% in maths.
    I am willing to help nyone struggling with history or geography. They my best subjects :-)
    And if anybody else wants to offer to help other people, feel free to post :-)
    Best of luck :-) 3 months to go people :-P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭positivealf

What's with all the smiley faces. Just practice for math, use this, KhanAcademy(dot)com it's free. As for irish do well in orals, memorise studied section answers and memorise letters and essays and you're good to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 ellie182

For maths, basically the only thing you can do is do question after question after question. There's no other way to do it. (though I haven't done project maths so I could actually be wrong about that. Your paper 1 is the old course though as far as I know?) There's no shortage of the old questions you can practice from. Just go onto the SEC website and go into the exam paper questions. If your teacher is willing, they might correct papers you've done outside of school, but if not you can use the marking schemes the SEC provide to see how well you've done. Just learn off the theorems and constructions and axioms. They're not a huge part of the marks but if you can do them it's great. As for paper 2, the project maths one, I have absolutely no idea. I imagine the principle is roughly the same but as I said I haven't done any project maths so.

For Irish, assuming it's higher level, you really really REALLY need to know your studied prose and poetry. They're easy to get marks on if you know them really well, and the questions are pretty repetitive year to year. Learn the themes and emotions and just generally understand the story and what's going on in it. There are generally key words in each that you'll need to know for when you're writing your answers so learn them too. Also, and it's ridiculous how many time you'd forget this and lose your 4 (2?) marks, [Ithe title and author[/I]. It's so simple and anyone can do it, but it's so often forgotten.
    I focused mostly on the letter when I was doing mine because it's generally pretty easy. Learn any old address (my personal fave was 3 Bóthar Buí, Bóthar an Trá, Co na Gaillimhe) and put the date and opening line and you're sorted for basic marks already. It's really those little things that get you the marks, like I said above.
    The aural is worth 40 marks at higher level and it's not too hard to do well in. Your Irish exam papers should come with a CD so listen to a few of those and do your best to fill in what you understand. There's always the same kind of stuff in that - town names, hobbies, a sports piece, an event piece, the weather, an accident maybe, all that kind of thing anyway. If you understand the general vocab you'll be flying.
    As for the léamhuiscant and trialacha teanga and all that jazz on paper 1... ugh. I have no idea. They always got me, I just had no idea.

Basically just learn everything, is what this reply seems to be saying. There are some things you need to put more emphasis on than others, but the Irish course is a pretty long one alright.

Best of luck!

Advertisement