Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Eco Cookery Exam

Options
  • 04-03-2013 8:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭

Hey, i'm cooking a fish dish for my Home Eco cookery. Any tips on how to gain and prevent losing marks during the cookery? I'm doing SeaFish Cakes with a salad.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭marko747

Do u have To do it? I'm doing no.5. Something for a party. Just my teacher said the fish dish is very hard to do. :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

My teacher said the fish dish is the easyiest one XD. You jsut have to make Fish cakes and a salad which will only taka 5 mins XD. and you know what sucks .. I only have 2 practice days .. ._. This really sucks, I don't even know the recipe yet.

Funny how different teachers say different things :-P the salad shouldn't be that hard. Yeah in our school we only get to cook every second week. They timetabled us at the same time as the other 3rd yr class. It's really **** cause we get like no practise. :-( are u gonna keep on home ec next yr? I can't wait to be finished with it! I like the theory but the sowing.....well let's just say that went badly lol :-P

I did Childcare instead of sowing .. my teacher thinks boys can't sow so no point xD. I'm doing TY but the choices for 5th year indicate that I can't do Home Eco ... I want to do Physics/Chemistry ... and Home Eco is in the same row ... so I have to ditch it XD. Sucks but it has to be done. The bright side is im going geography so that should be a handy 100 points in my pocket :D

aw cool! :) only one girl in my class done it. the rest of us were stuck with sowing. your teacher could be right! i know i can't sow!!! :( we havn't had to make our subject/year choices yet. but i don't think ill do Ty. :) yeah geography is so simple! you don't do any study and you walk a A. 10 minutes before the exam does me grand! :):D

• Advertisement

just picked iced lemon traybake for my cookery :) should be nice and easy :D my folder for the craft due tomorrow so gonna do that now! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 ellie182

Just, for the love of God, CLEAN YOUR DISHES WHEN YOU'RE FINISHED. Maybe it was just my inspector, but she gave people the dirtiest looks when their utensils and dishes and whatnot were still a bit dirty looking or even if they were still wet.
    Also keep your workspace as neat as you can. I know it's hard when you're under so much pressure trying to get everything done, but it really does look better on your part and it shows you're not a complete mess.
    Try your best to waste as little food as possible. If you're, say chopping up vegetables and you know you're only going to need half the pepper, put it back in your bag. Because the examiner checks your bin when you're finished and wasting perfectly good food, like the half pepper (even though she knows well you'll just throw it out at home) shows that you're being economical. And it IS home economics, after all.
    I'm sure your teacher will tell you this, but if something goes wrong or doesn't taste right or is burned or you don't have enough time or something, write it in your evaluation. They can't take marks off you if you acknowledge it. But if you burn it and you know well that it's burned, you could lose loads of points. Be honest, basically. They won't care as long as you tried and realised your mistake.

Don't be too worried about it, or you'll mess up. My examiner was really nice, even if she was a bit mental, but remember that they have no reason to not want to give you marks. It's their job to give you the marks you deserve, not be horrible.

Thanks for the tip, just did practice today, everything went well :D. It's hard to know when carrots etc are done cooking ... I started smelling tar o.0 so I presumed it was done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Jijsaw

Making chocolate cup cakes with chocolate icing, it's grand but yeah I wish I could of done the childcare project but oh no I had to sew, instead of doing sewing though I knitted a teddy bear ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Thanks for the tip, just did practice today, everything went well :D. It's hard to know when carrots etc are done cooking ... I started smelling tar o.0 so I presumed it was done.

For your carrots, do a bit of a practice at home.

If you cut them into pieces that are all roughly the same size (which might mean halving the wider bits), they will cook evenly. Then it's a matter of getting them boiling, take one out and check it after 5 minutes, another after 7 minutes, another after 10 until you work out how long to boil them so that they are done the way you want them.

If on the day of your exam you make sure you cut your carrots as close as you can to the size you practiced with, you will know exactly when they are done.

You'll be fine. Just don't do like one lad from our school did and use your tea-towel to clean a spillage on the floor.:eek:

• Advertisement

spurious wrote: »
    For your carrots, do a bit of a practice at home.

If you cut them into pieces that are all roughly the same size (which might mean halving the wider bits), they will cook evenly. Then it's a matter of getting them boiling, take one out and check it after 5 minutes, another after 7 minutes, another after 10 until you work out how long to boil them so that they are done the way you want them.

If on the day of your exam you make sure you cut your carrots as close as you can to the size you practiced with, you will know exactly when they are done.

You'll be fine. Just don't do like one lad from our school did and use your tea-towel to clean a spillage on the floor.:eek:

Woow, smart idea. I need to try that, my cookery is on the 26th April so loads of time to prep. Thanks for the tip :). I never thought about that. Oh my lol, that lad was brave ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 8 eille123

i'v task 2 which is make a savoury and sweet dish using fruit and veg. any ideas of wat i could make? i was thinking soup and apple tart?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

eille123 wrote: »
    i'v task 2 which is make a savoury and sweet dish using fruit and veg. any ideas of wat i could make? i was thinking soup and apple tart?

They sound fine. I tasted a strawberry and rhubarb crumble the other day in our school that was absolutely lovely, so if you can manage crumble that might be an unusual option. Whatever you choose, have a couple of practice goes at home with it to check your timings etc..

thanks spurious! would crumble look messy served on a plate?? would it b better cooked and served n a small dish?

thanks spurious! would crumble look messy served on a plate?? would it b better cooked and served n a small dish?

Yes get one of those small little dishes you can get sometimes in the pound shop - ideally with a lip or handles so that you can get it out of the oven easily.
    Something like the one in this photo, but smaller : http://www.summerillandbishop.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/5e06319eda06f020e43594a9c230972d/f/i/file_40_27.jpg
    You can serve it in that dish and let them taste it from the dish. Crumble is very hard to make attractive on a plate.

ya thats what i was thinking! thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Ellie apple tart will take too long! I would would also suggest a crumble. You must have a combination of 3 or more fruit and veg. Also they must be fresh not frozen. If making a crumble use real butter and brown sugar to get the best results and also I think they look great in individual ramekins, which are very cheap around €2 for 4 in €2 shop http://www.heatonsstores.com/NI/Product/Round-Ramekin-Set-of-4/266354/4006000000

Can anybody tell me what the heck the design brief is for the sewing/practical. I can't find it anywhere and my folder is due tomorrow

I found something in my Home Ec book is it:

"Make and decorate a craft item suitable for your bedroom for a textile"

Jijsaw wrote: »
    Can anybody tell me what the heck the design brief is for the sewing/practical. I can't find it anywhere and my folder is due tomorrow

Here is a link to an outline of a craft project. It doesn't have to be this long it is just to give you a guideline. Some pages will be irrelevant to you depending on the craft chosen!
    http://www.trionoide.ie/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/craft-folder-2012.pdf
    The design briefs are all the same just worded differently! There are a lot if marks going for the evaluation so you should really do this well but it does not need to be 3 pages. Make sure for possie solutions you name the item and craft e.g solution 1 I could make a beanbag using patchwork solution 2 I could make a cushion using hand embroidery etc. one solution must be the craft you made. You must draw out these solutions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭cfc.forever

Done the cooking exam, I done cupcakes. The exam went very well and the examiner was really nice! Don't worry about it guys, you will be grand!

^ I'm making cupcakes as well :) Does anybody know if you can use an electric mixer with a stand instead of a handheld mixer. Will you lose marks if you use an electric mixer on a stand while everybody else is using a handheld electric mixer?

Doing Seafood pie is so annoying, I should of never chose the number, of well, i'm sure i'll get at least 75% of the marks on the practical, it's next week : x.

Jijsaw wrote: »
    ^ I'm making cupcakes as well :) Does anybody know if you can use an electric mixer with a stand instead of a handheld mixer. Will you lose marks if you use an electric mixer on a stand while everybody else is using a handheld electric mixer?

Yes you can mixer with stand as you still need to use your judgement and need to stop it and scrap etc. it is still a skill!

thats for your advice millem! used it yesterday and did apple crumble! i was wondering how many marks would I lose for cutting my thumb when chopping apples! i ran it under tap,told examiner,got plaster and there wasnt much blood or any blood on food! I also included that i should have took more care with knife in the evaluation. would like for an A in this subject as i got it in the pre however i'm worried now

thats for your advice millem! used it yesterday and did apple crumble! i was wondering how many marks would I lose for cutting my thumb when chopping apples! i ran it under tap,told examiner,got plaster and there wasnt much blood or any blood on food! I also included that i should have took more care with knife in the evaluation. would like for an A in this subject as i got it in the pre however i'm worried now

Ellie don't worry hygiene and safety is 10 marks everything is taken into consideration eg cutting towards you , closing oven door with foot etc and then marked out of 10

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭dee_mc

You won't lose marks for cutting yourself, don't worry about it.
    As another poster mentioned above, it's not all about doing everything perfectly, it's about knowing when you've made a mistake, taking steps to correct it, acknowledging the mistake in your evaluation, and pointing out how you could have avoided it, all of which you did so it sounds like you're on track for your A!

thanks millem and dee mc! hopefully it will be okay. Done now and im just happy its finished! :D

thanks millem and dee mc! hopefully it will be okay. Done now and im just happy its finished! :D

Don't worry honestly you will be grand! 50% is done and dusted now so just focus on written for now, keep practicing short questions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭sotisme

Hi just wondering if you'd lose marks for dropping the vegetable peeler on the ground? I didn't know what to do so I picked it up, rinsed it under the tap and dried it (I didn't have time to fill a basin of soapy hot water just to clean it) I then continued using it... Hope that is ok?

Also I was really panicked and behind my timeplan and told the examiner to taste it before realising I hadn't garnished my soup! So as she was taking a spoon, i was pouring in a swirl of cream and a few leaves of parsely! And my mint garnish looked dead :(

Really disappointed with my cookery as I got an A in the mocks but think I'll do worse in the actual JC as in the mock it was all based on the written exam!

Advertisement