Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I buy a pet sloth in Ireland?

• 04-03-2013 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

I'm very interested in getting one, is it possible? And what about hedgehogs?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

You couldn't get a pet sloth, they aren't domesticated animals, if you were to get one it wouldn't be a 'pet' really, I would imagine you would need some sort of exotics licence to get one. I've seen hedgehogs as pets before though, African Pygmy hedgehogs I think they are called, I've seen them in pet mania but I'm sure there must be a more reputable breeder than them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

I'm very interested in getting one, is it possible? And what about hedgehogs?

The hedgehog has been given basic legal protection under the Wildlife Act and Berne convention.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

The hedgehog is also for sale in my local pet shop, the poor little bugger. Thankfully sloths aren't available and hopefully never will be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

Sloths would need a humid climate to remain healthy. Not suitable as pets but you can get up, close and personal to them in London Zoo. Lovely creatures but damned if I could stay in that warm housing for long!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Monkeys lemurs raccoons can be gotten easily
    Sloths I doubt as there is no demand for them in any country
    Besides you'd be waiting ages calling them to come to you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Besides you'd be waiting ages calling them to come to you

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Ruudi_Mentari

You'd be waiting ages just for it to turn it's head.

whilst laughing, I can only envisage one very ridiculed sloth. The name alone provokes laughter so therefor are a protected species

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Arse Biscuits!

Thanks guys :) What is this about African pygmy hedgehogs? Lovely creatures hedgehogs are

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Thanks guys :) What is this about African pygmy hedgehogs? Lovely creatures hedgehogs are

Can I ask why you're so intent on having an 'unusual' pet, or exotics? It will be difficult even if you can find one, to ensure proper vet care, the right food, environment, etc. for them.

Can I ask why you're so intent on having an 'unusual' pet, or exotics? It will be difficult even if you can find one, to ensure proper vet care, the right food, environment, etc. for them.

Its not really an intent, more just curious as if to whether or not I could actually get one here you know? Obviously I'm aware of varying conditions wrt exotic pets vets etc, I think it would be just interesting to own one. Now with regards to the sloth, its simply because they are ridiculously lovable little things haha :cool: so I was wondering if you could get one. About the hedgehogs, well I have heard about people having and being able to keep them as pets in other countries, and I thought I heard you could own one in Ireland too, I just dont know if this is true, or where you can purchase them?

I love hedgehogs, I've saved a few.

I've kept many hamsters and guinea pigs and rabbits, I would just love to have a hedgehog someday, a domesticated one obviously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

The other problem with animals as exotic as a sloth is that you probably wont find people that are breeding them. Which means it would probably be taken from the wild illegally. No animal should be taken from the wild just to be someones pet. Its an extremely selfish thing to do.
    If you did find someone breeding animals like sloths for pets, then it is probably not being done ethically and those animals will probably have been stolen from the wild too.

Basically its a bad idea. Stick with animals that have already been domesticated over the years. Heaven knows theres enough of them. Leave the wild ones where they belong.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Renno123

is it possible?

I hope not! :mad:

The other problem with animals as exotic as a sloth is that you probably wont find people that are breeding them. Which means it would probably be taken from the wild illegally. No animal should be taken from the wild just to be someones pet. Its an extremely selfish thing to do.
    If you did find someone breeding animals like sloths for pets, then it is probably not being done ethically and those animals will probably have been stolen from the wild too.

Basically its a bad idea. Stick with animals that have already been domesticated over the years. Heaven knows theres enough of them. Leave the wild ones where they belong.

I agree, illegal animal poaching is horrible, I was talking in terms of a reputable breeder internationally shipping to Ireland.

I just want to make it clear people, I'm not buying a sloth or promoting taking animals from the wild. I was interested in getting one, if possible. I was just wondering if you actually could, legally and ethically, purchase a sloth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

OP while I don't think you are trolling, I can't see this thread leading anywhere but negatively.I am locking for this reason. If anyone has a legitimate answer for the OP by quoting facts and/or legislation please PM me. Cheers

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement