Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VISA card with RFID chip

Options
  • 04-03-2013 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Hi
    Have one of these new card with RFID chip. Newer seen (yet) any terminal where I can use that new contactless payment (paypass or paywave is called) in Ireland.
    So browsing net I found a lot of information about them cards I should be worried about.
    So have few questions about:
    • Is that service is default ON when my new card came to me?  Can it be turned off?
    • Are all paypass transactions are authorized online?
    • Is my account updated immediately after payment is processed?
    • Does all them transactions require PIN authorization?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Linda

Hi klub44,
    • If the card is a contactless card, it will automatically have the contactless facility active. It cannot be turned off the card
    • The contactless facility is not an online facility.
    • You should see the funds debit from your account straight away on Banking 365. The transaction may not be fully processed for a few days as with all transactions.
    • Contactless is a transaction you make without inputting your pin. After a random number of contactless transactions, you will be prompted to put in your pin number.

Full information can be found about the security of the card here.

Thank you very much
    Linda

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭klub44

Hi klub44,

If the card is a contactless card, it will automatically have the contactless facility active. It cannot be turned off the card
    The contactless facility is not an online facility.
    You should see the funds debit from your account straight away on Banking 365. The transaction may not be fully processed for a few days as with all transactions.
    Contactless is a transaction you make without inputting your pin. After a random number of contactless transactions, you will be prompted to put in your pin number.

Full information can be found about the security of the card here.

Thank you very much
    Linda
    • Can I change my card for VISA without this NFC feature ?

• Does my account is checked online for available funds when contacless transaction is made (without PIN verification) ?
    • How many transactions (up to 15e) can be made without PIN verification?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Linda

Hi klub55,
    • Please contact your branch to discuss the possibility of getting a card without the contactless feature.
    • Your card will always do a check for available funds in your account. If a company has not fully processed a transaction though, the account may appear to have more funds actually available. Bank of Ireland does have a new mobile app to make it easier for customers to check their account while on the go. Please see here for more information regarding the app.
    • It is after a random amount when it will insist on the pin being entered to complete the transaction.

Thank you very much.
    Linda

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

Please contact your branch to discuss the possibility of getting a card without the contactless feature.
    Hi Linda,

Surely it's either possible or not possible? Why would any discussions make a difference? Please clarify.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Hi Linda,

Surely it's either possible or not possible? Why would any discussions make a difference? Please clarify.

Thanks.

I would imagine it depends on the stock availability at your local branch. So you would have to contact them directly.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Billy

Hi Cushie Butterfield,

Thanks for your post.

Card applications are account specific so a request for a change in card type, would be dependent on the account in question.

Thanks

Billy

listermint wrote: »
    I would imagine it depends on the stock availability at your local branch. So you would have to contact them directly.....
    I doubt it, considering cards are issued from a centralised card issuing centre & not individual branches. Even if what you suggest is the case stock would be replenished on a regular basis, so stock availability isn't really the issue.

Hi Cushie Butterfield,

Thanks for your post.

Card applications are account specific so a request for a change in card type, would be dependent on the account in question.

Thanks

Billy
    Thanks for your reply Billy. I've just been on to customer services on banking365 & they confirmed that a card with the RFID facility can be replaced with one without the facility, which is all I wanted to know.

Advertisement