Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Early idea of points?

• 04-03-2013 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Does anyone know if the CAO releases an inclination of what the points may be for some courses (from 1st preferences) before the leaving cert ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

Does anyone know if the CAO releases an inclination of what the points may be for some courses (from 1st preferences) before the leaving cert ?

They won't release the points until August. People have up until June(I think) to change their choices so the points would be totally distorted if they did release them this early.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭kingcobra

This pdf says March on it so I'm guessing it should be out soon? It doesn't show the points predictions however

• Registered Users Posts: 45 CAOMAN

Points in each year are only determined when the offers are made.

On the CAO website, there are the points required for last years courses.

This may be an indication of how many points are needed but it can change if the demand for the course rises or falls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭kingcobra

You probably seen this already but anyway here it is anyway in case you haven't. It doesn't directly give you the predicted points but it'll kind of correlate with the increase/decrease in candidates i.e. if a course increases in applications then the points generally go up. The newspapers had articles on this last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 mundungus portfolio

kingcobra wrote: »
    You probably seen this already but anyway here it is anyway in case you haven't. It doesn't directly give you the predicted points but it'll kind of correlate with the increase/decrease in candidates i.e. if a course increases in applications then the points generally go up. The newspapers had articles on this last week.

Thanks, Good to see Laws gone down a bit :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

LAWS MINE BITCH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

CAOMAN wrote: »
    Points in each year are only determined when the offers are made.

On the CAO website, there are the points required for last years courses.

This may be an indication of how many points are needed but it can change if the demand for the course rises or falls.
    What he said! ^^

Points are set by supply and demand, based on the numbers applying for courses and the results they get in their LC, not by the CAO, so they can't release any early indications because they don't have them.

Everyone can make guesses based on the rise or fall in the numbers applying for courses, but that's all they are ... guesses!

Can I suggest again that everyone actually READ their CAO handbook and find out how the system works! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭diarmo06

What he said! ^^

Can I suggest again that everyone actually READ their CAO handbook and find out how the system works! :)

HA! I'd sooner shoot myself in the foot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

diarmo06 wrote: »
    HA! I'd sooner shoot myself in the foot.
    That's exactly what some people do every year because they don't! :p

Just watch the posts in this forum in August which start "I put X first because it was likely to have the higher points, but I really wanted Y, and now to my surprise I got the points for X ... I can refuse it and take my second choice instead, can't I?" and all sorts of other sh-h-h-tuff like that!

And when we say "eh, no!", funny enough, it's our fault. Coz, yanno, the mods / users of the LC forum set up the CAO system! :pac:

Don't understand it myself; people spend two years aiming for maximum points, but won't spend half an hour figuring out how the system works, or how places are actually allocated. Even though those who do tend to end up a lot less stressed out.

Advertisement