Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish thriller writers?

Options
  • 04-03-2013 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

I'm a big fan of thrillers whether they be straightforward crime novels or spy or legal thrillers.

I've read most of John Connolly's novels and really enjoyed them. I've also read everything by Paul Carson and enjoyed that stuff too. I've only read Square Mile by Paul Kilduff and Priest from Ken Bruen.

However, I'm on the look out for some new thrillers from Irish authors. Can anyone recommend a new-ish author or someone I've missed out on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Declan Hughes; Declan Burke; Tana French; Adrian McKinty; Arlene Hunt; Stuart Neville to name but a few. All excellent, all Irish.

Take a look at Crime Always Pays if you like crime-writing and need inspiration.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Mindfulness

Dubl07 wrote: »
    Take a look at Crime Always Pays if you like crime-writing and need inspiration.
    Wow, that's a great link! Thanks :) Plenty of food for thought there and enough to keep me busy for a year or two given everything else I'm cramming onto my reading list :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

I second Tana French and I recommend Alan Glynn. He wrote the book the film Limitless was based on but he has two others called Winterland and Bloodland. Great stuff definitely worth checking out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

You could try Victor O'Reilly .I tried a couple of his books and found them to be pretty good.

Games of the Hangman
    'Reilly conjures up an astoundingly successful debut thriller that ticks along with the precision of a Swiss timepiece and the whimsy of a cuckoo clock. On a morning ride through his ancestral Irish island estate, Hugo Fitzduane--soldier turned war photographer--finds the hanged body of Swiss student Rudi von Graffenlaub. The unique design tattooed on Rudi's wrist is also found on two terrorists killed by Shane Kilmara, Hugo's former Army commander and head of the Irish Rangers--a sort of national anti-terrorist SWAT team. Kilmara gives Hugo entree to police channels in Bern, Switzerland, where bizarrely mutilated bodies turn up soon after Hugo's arrival, disrupting the Swiss sense of order. The Bern police chief assigns Heinz Raufman to watch over Fitzduane while he searches for a connection between Rudi and the terrorists; O'Reilly contrasts the national characteristics of these two protagonists in picture-perfect Bern to hilarious effect. The gruesome antics of an amoral villain lead Hugo and Heinz through a maelstrom of murder in Switzerland and Ireland to a spine-tingling showdown with an army of terrorists at Hugo's medieval castle. O'Reilly's readers will be turning pages into the early morning hours

Games of Vengence

Was the second one.Always intended to read a few more of his books...........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Ipso wrote: »
    I second Tana French and I recommend Alan Glynn. He wrote the book the film Limitless was based on but he has two others called Winterland and Bloodland. Great stuff definitely worth checking out.

I overlooked Alan but I loved Winterland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭chasmcb

As a Galway citizen let me just add the names of Ken Bruen, who has written a raft of well-received crime/noir thriller novels and Kevin Brophy, whose latest novel, Another Kind of Country is a Cold War era thriller set largely in Berlin.

Edit: Oops, missed your Bruen mention OP!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I've also read everything by Paul Carson and enjoyed that stuff too.
    Paul Carson is my GP! Was in with him last week - he has his book covers on the wall. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Hotcuppa

I'm a huge crime thriller fan reading on average about two a week but I'm curious what other people think, who do you consider the best crime thriller writer in the world and why, as in which author would you immediately buy when they have a new book out? And why do you think they are the best??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Hotcuppa wrote: »
    I'm a huge crime thriller fan reading on average about two a week but I'm curious what other people think, who do you consider the best crime thriller writer in the world and why, as in which author would you immediately buy when they have a new book out? And why do you think they are the best??

I really like James Ellroy, patricularly the LA Quartet and American Tabloid. I like the complicated story lines and the seedy messed up world inhabited by characters that are more or less various shades of bad.
    Another in the same vein is David Peace and his Red Riding quartet, probably more realistic than Ellroy. Again the stories are complicated but onething that stuck with me was the effect of corruption, particulatly on the "collateral damage" left in its wake.

Advertisement