Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buffering problem

• 04-03-2013 10:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭

On UPC, having really bad buffering problem on Dailymotion and Youtube? Anyone else has this problem. It seems like these sites are throttled. The same thing works in my office just fine.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

When you notice this do a speedtest and post it here please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

I sometimes notice a buffering issue with youtube, but when I change from 480p to 720p or even 1080p it usually scoots along without issue. This would normally be counter-intuitive, but it works. I'm not sure if it is different servers that serve up HD content and are faster, but in my experience, HD stuff comes in faster than SD stuff (UPC, 120mb line)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

ED E wrote: »
    When you notice this do a speedtest and post it here please.

It's still the same. Just did a test.

13.09 Mbps download
    3.23 upload

Which is low on a 30mbps line but should be good enough for dailymotion and youtube.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Yeah, but I'd wonder if its a symptom of something else unless you're using wifi from a distance.

Try rebooting the modem just to see.

ED E wrote: »
    Yeah, but I'd wonder if its a symptom of something else unless you're using wifi from a distance.

Try rebooting the modem just to see.

I have rebooted the modem/wifi few times already. Also tried to change the wifi channel couple of times.

In the end I connected my laptop directly through cable and it's still the same. So it does not look like a connection issue inside the apartment.

When I try to download something it works just fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

Hi Ccoldfire1x

It is a distinct possibility the buffering issues could be Adobe related (flash & shockwave) and also the browser you are using, not UPC. Which browser are you using? Have you downloaded the latest versions of flash & shockwave? If not then do so along with the latest updates for your browser and see what happens..

cunnijo wrote: »
    Hi Ccoldfire1x

It is a distinct possibility the buffering issues could be Adobe related (flash & shockwave) and also the browser you are using, not UPC. Which browser are you using? Have you downloaded the latest versions of flash & shockwave? If not then do so along with the latest updates for your browser and see what happens..

Tried that as well. I usually use Firefox, tried it on Chrome and its more or less the same. Adobe Flash & Shockwave are up to date. Really getting frustrated. I will try to give UPC a call to see what they say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

coldfire1x wrote: »
    Tried that as well. I usually use Firefox, tried it on Chrome and its more or less the same. Adobe Flash & Shockwave are up to date. Really getting frustrated. I will try to give UPC a call to see what they say.

Hi

It is usually Google Chrome that is more prone to cause this issue. I am very surprised with Firefox however, as it is the more reliable of the browsers out there. Chrome has its own version of flash and can cause confilcts with adobe's version. This causes choppy audio and buffering.

As you have already tried with the newer versions of flash and shockwave without success then contact UPC to see if there are bandwith problems with your service or area.

Regards

Advertisement