Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Helmet Cameras

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

CramCycle wrote: »
    Used it on the way into town today, all fine, then turned it off as I hopped off the bike. Big mistake, seen one drug deal, not a care in the world but the camera was off and one of the guys was looking around so I was a bit spooked to reach up as I was already on the phone texting and one guy was eyeballing me. One shouted he had a camera and the main lad started covering his head in the worst impression of the general, while a woman in the group started shouting, its a flashlight. I decided to walk off. Flicked on the camera as I waited underneath Clearys clock. 2 minutes till I seen Heroin being sold, 2 minutes later a different group where doing this weird walk by with 3 involved giving what they wanted, how much and then the deal. A few minutes later the lad who shouted at me about the camera came down with his mates and started shouting at me again, so I have his face on camera.

I know there is drugs flying around but it is like they have no concern or they are really stupid, trying to imitate movies to do the deals but making them even more obvious, weird.

How was it on the side of the helmet? Did it weigh one side down considerably?

And having worn a helmet camera for quite a while, I never experienced anything as interesting :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

How was it on the side of the helmet? Did it weigh one side down considerably?
    Not that I felt. It is bigger than I thought it would be, I imagined it to be smaller for some reason and that is probably to other bullit style cameras. It also feels sturdy but I don't feel it on the side of my head weight wise, it feels inbetween the weight of a large cup and a small mug (only thing in my eyeline I can compare it too.
    And having worn a helmet camera for quite a while, I never experienced anything as interesting :pac:
    I think the helmet camera made the situation worse as without it I was just some guy in lycra, the only reason I initially stopped to look at them was because I thought they were about to hassle or pickpocket an elderly man but it turned out he was a customer or fellow dealer?!? but I was looking at this stage so it was too late. Part of me would have been happy to hand over the camera if they ganged up (I ain't no hero) but if they went for my bike there was going to be resistance but in the end, the main guy just kept shouting at me about the camera.

So I finally took the plunge...it's only been a little while since starting this thread:pac:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/ContourROAM2-Handsfree-HD-Action-Camera/dp/B009CN8X3C/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1383584525&sr=8-2&keywords=contour+roam+2

It's the best price I've seen, and it seems to be the job. I took the plunge as I'll be doing a lot more cycling in the coming months, especially through town and across the city centre. I'm looking forward to getting it now. I might have to buy some 32GB cards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭AltAccount

24 hours later and no vids!! :)

AltAccount wrote: »

Haven't got it yet! I'll update with some lazy cycling when I do!

Haven't got it yet! I'll update with some lazy cycling when I do!
    I was shocked at how disinterested in doing so, have one or two incidences, but I have no want to post them online. Want to report them to the Gardai but feel since I wasn't harmed, nothing would happen.

I was shocked at how disinterested in doing so, have one or two incidences, but I have no want to post them online. Want to report them to the Gardai but feel since I wasn't harmed, nothing would happen.

Any ones I've posted online have just been normal commutes, or spins up the hills. I reckon it'd be interesting to look back on in years to come. As for being a vigilante, it really doesn't appeal to me in the slightest. If something happened the video would most likely just stay with me and be used if needed.

EDIT: And my order still hasn't been put through/dispatched. And the price has risen a little over 10£ I wonder if they'll cancel the order :(

Any ones I've posted online have just been normal commutes, or spins up the hills. I reckon it'd be interesting to look back on in years to come. As for being a vigilante, it really doesn't appeal to me in the slightest. If something happened the video would most likely just stay with me and be used if needed.

EDIT: And my order still hasn't been put through/dispatched. And the price has risen a little over 10£ I wonder if they'll cancel the order :(

I thought I might be like a vigilante, I have the personality type to act like a tosspot but apparently it is not strong enough. I did get a picture of a guy abusing a mother and child for being to slow so will send that off to Dublin City Co. to see what they think of their workers slowing down to jeer and abuse a mother in a bike lane for no good reason.

I have found that my language is appaling on the few videos I looked over but 99% have been deleted. Must learn to speak more eloquently, I have muttered a few words that I did not know even existed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 529 ✭✭✭calistro

AltAccount wrote: »

Here's a short clip to keep you going!! Got the Flex Strap for the Roam2 and put it on the fork. Impressed with the stability, as sometime when using the helmet attachment off-road things can get a little jumpy.

Well I got the camera this morning. Nice piece of kit. A lot lighter than I thought. Drove into work this morning so didn't get a chance to test.

• Advertisement

First commute in.

First impressions:

720p @ 30fps, seems a little jarring and overly shaky. I will trying 720p @60fps on the cycle home (although it will be dark then).

But the camera is nice and light, and you don't notice it on your head as much as my old camera. I may need to up the resolution to full HD to get more clarity, but I'll play around a bit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54RBE0Y-vb8

And just an image showing the front and side if my setup. I always found handlebar mounts to be far too jittery to be of use.

I'll let yee click on them as I'm on the mobile and and can't resize.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭Kaiser D

Hello chaps,

I've never posted here before, so forgive me if this doesn't belong in the off topic thread, but, I'm looking for help in buying a decent quality helmet camera. I'll be cycling the Camino de Santiago in May of 2014 and I'm hoping to pick up a camera now so I can get used to it for a few months. At the minute I don't have a budget as I don't know where prices start from.
    Could anyone recommend some good quality cameras? Something with long lasting battery life would be ideal too as I'm hoping to record all of the journey.

Well, my contour roam 2 gets around the 3 hour mark from my playing around since I got it. Maybe even more, haven't done a rundown test on it or anything. But I reckon that's about as good as it gets for a lot of cams unless you buy one with a replaceable battery.

I really like the contour roam 2, got mine for 125£ there a few weeks back. Great deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

I have the Hero 2 and it's great. Albeit I don't use it anymore while out on the bike!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭Kaiser D

Well, my contour roam 2 gets around the 3 hour mark from my playing around since I got it. Maybe even more, haven't done a rundown test on it or anything. But I reckon that's about as good as it gets for a lot of cams unless you buy one with a replaceable battery.

I really like the contour roam 2, got mine for 125£ there a few weeks back. Great deal.

That sounds good, and £125 sounds excellent. Can I ask where you got it from?
    Zyzz wrote: »
    I have the Hero 2 and it's great. Albeit I don't use it anymore while out on the bike!

What is the battery life like on the Hero 2?

Amazon.co.uk, the prices on these fluctuate a good bit so I kept an eye on them for a while before taking the plunge on a blue one for that price.

Actually, the real cost would have been slightly higher as amazon will add the Irish VAT on top when you go through the checkout. But still a great price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Invincible

Amazon.co.uk, the prices on these fluctuate a good bit so I kept an eye on them for a while before taking the plunge on a blue one for that price.

Actually, the real cost would have been slightly higher as amazon will add the Irish VAT on top when you go through the checkout. But still a great price.
    If you got it delivered to parcel motel, would the vat difference make it worthwhile?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Battery life on the GoPro is about 2.5 hours (give or take for different settings) but with an extra battery = around 5 hours! Extra battery pack is under 20 quid the last time I checked! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

And just an image showing the front and side if my setup. I always found handlebar mounts to be far too jittery to be of use.

I'll let yee click on them as I'm on the mobile and and can't resize.
    Nice stuff, but how is it fixed? Can you fit it to the bike or is there a flexible strap with it if you don't use a helmet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭rollingscone

I did get a picture of a guy abusing a mother and child for being to slow so will send that off to Dublin City Co. to see what they think of their workers slowing down to jeer and abuse a mother in a bike lane for no good reason.

Very curious to hear their response on this. By the sounds of language you described him using in your original reference to this incident the perpetrator deserves serious consequences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

Recently got the contour roam2, looking at the possibility of strapping it to my arm. Does anyone have the headband or vented helmet strap? Think this would be sturdy enough to hold it in place on upper arm?

Very curious to hear their response on this. By the sounds of language you described him using in your original reference to this incident the perpetrator deserves serious consequences.
    No response at all, not even an acknowledgement of contact.
    stevire wrote: »
    Recently got the contour roam2, looking at the possibility of strapping it to my arm. Does anyone have the headband or vented helmet strap? Think this would be sturdy enough to hold it in place on upper arm?
    As in your lower arm so you can point it or your upper arm to get a side on view? Either way, I don't think it would be comfortable or easy viewing but it should in theory work, something elasticated might be more secure.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

I have strapped a gopro to my leg for skiing. While not the same I can tell you that unless its incredibly tight to make the camera very stable the footage is awful. I was able to make it very tight as the ski boot shell took the pressure of the strap not me leg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭kendragon

I use a polaroid xs100 for my commute. Bought it after a bus very deliberately veered in front of me and forced me into a curb and off my bike. I didn't get its licence plate (which wouldn't have mattered really because there are only a few buses that use that route in limerick) and the Garda didn't want to know. I Love the camera despite it looking utterly ridiculous due to it being gloss white and it sticks up a bit from my helmet. This gets me plenty of WTF looks from people as I cycle by.

Video quality is fantastic. The image has a slight fisheye looks to it which gets in more of the scene. It has a Full HD option but I use the 720p instead because it gives a better frame rate and the files are slightly smaller. I have a 32gb high speed sd card in it and a 15 minute commute usually takes up around 1.5gbs of space. It also automatically creates a low definition file for quick viewing or uploading. That's usually around 100mbs.

Here is a link to the product page if that's allowed by the mods

LINK POLAROID XS100

• Advertisement

No response at all, not even an acknowledgement of contact.
    As in your lower arm so you can point it or your upper arm to get a side on view? Either way, I don't think it would be comfortable or easy viewing but it should in theory work, something elasticated might be more secure.
    Rew wrote: »
    I have strapped a gopro to my leg for skiing. While not the same I can tell you that unless its incredibly tight to make the camera very stable the footage is awful. I was able to make it very tight as the ski boot shell took the pressure of the strap not me leg.

Thanks for the responses, was thinking upper arm as close to the shoulder as possible. Doesn't look like a runner though, I'll stick to the helmet cam!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

stevire wrote: »
    Thanks for the responses, was thinking upper arm as close to the shoulder as possible. Doesn't look like a runner though, I'll stick to the helmet cam!
    Is there any way of attaching the camera to the handlebars? Would vibrations be a problem?
    What other solutions would you recommend, if you do not wear a helmet?

Seweryn wrote: »
    Is there any way of attaching the camera to the handlebars? Would vibrations be a problem?
    What other solutions would you recommend, if you do not wear a helmet?

I have seen a video from a Contour attached to bike forks, looks pretty good. I'll try dig it out think it's less jittery than handlebars, there is a special mount for handlebars - i've seen them on eBay.

I wear a helmet for most sports, main reason for asking was I was looking for upper arm/shoulder mount to avoid a permanent mount. If I use the camera for cycling, snowboarding and surfing I'll need three different mounts, my thinking was that an upper arm on the leading arm for boarding and potentially would work on the bike too as it wouldn't move that much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

if you wear a backpack while on the bike attaching to the strap by your shoulder is an option, I have a crocodile clip mount for my camera and do this from time to time as I only have a bar mount on my commuter.

I know drift cameras have a specfic shoulder mount there may be a generic one out there

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

Has anyone tried one of the replays? They look great but theyre pricey:

http://replayxd.com/cameras/replay-xd-1080-mini/

Think Im going to have to invest as some nutcase threatened to run me over the other week and I have no evidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

I bought one of the Sj1000 cameras from Chinavasion. Initial thoughts are its nice but larger than I was expecting once the case is on it.

I feel self conscious with it on the helmet so stuck it under the bars instead. Quality seems good enough. Took it for a spin this morning but the card I have only takes 10 minutes so must get something larger.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rideye/rideye-the-black-box-camera-for-your-bike
    The front and back on this look like the type of thing I want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

This vid has gone viral in the UK, the original owner has taken it down from YouTube following a series of death threats and comments wishing cancer on this family members;

Still, worth watching for a surreal, Python-esque giggle;

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=270420143125984

Back to the Contour roam that I bought, made my own vented helmet mount. The official ones are about 20/25 sterling, I picked up a ipod arm holder for a fiver and just stuck the regular mount to it sing the sticky backing and some electrical tape. Works nicely so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

I uploaded some videos from my sj1000 today for anyone who wants to see. Overall I'm happy with the camera and it blends in nicely with my new white helmet.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLbiRPOVAkllrrQV2ksUlnZaj8qEVrP381

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

Seen a Gopro Hero camera priced at €125.

Anybody have one? Is it any good?

http://www.amazon.com/GoPro-CHDHA-301-HERO/dp/B00NIYNUXO

ozzy jr wrote: »
    Seen a Gopro Hero camera priced at €125.

Anybody have one? Is it any good?

http://www.amazon.com/GoPro-CHDHA-301-HERO/dp/B00NIYNUXO

I have one. Quality is very good, they are 125 in Harvey Norman. That being said, the form factor isn't ideal for a helmet. But on handlebars and the likes it'll be grand. You would need to buy a mount for handlebars as they do not come with mounts. (I have mine rear facing on my saddle...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

(I have mine rear facing on my saddle...)

As in it's facing your rear? What do you do with the videos...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

quozl wrote: »
    As in it's facing your rear? What do you do with the videos...
    Phwoar, you should see some of his footage! Definitely NSFW :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

I have one. Quality is very good, they are 125 in Harvey Norman. That being said, the form factor isn't ideal for a helmet. But on handlebars and the likes it'll be grand. You would need to buy a mount for handlebars as they do not come with mounts. (I have mine rear facing on my saddle...)

I had a GoPro handlbar mount and it broke the first time I used it. I got a k-edge one instead - expensive but solid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Derek Mooney covered helmetcams on yesterday's show, with 'usual suspect' Conor Faughnan from AA telling everyone to mind their own business on the road;

http://www.rte.ie/radio/utils/radioplayer/rteradioweb.html#!rii=9%3A20676648%3A0%3A%3A

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

RainyDay wrote: »
    Derek Mooney covered helmetcams on yesterday's show, with 'usual suspect' Conor Faughnan from AA telling everyone to mind their own business on the road;

http://www.rte.ie/radio/utils/radioplayer/rteradioweb.html#!rii=9%3A20676648%3A0%3A%3A

I couldn't bear listening past the 5 minute mark, someone want to tl;dr it? And people give out about Ray Darcy...

I didn't listen but did he suggest that helmet cams should not be used. Suppose it might drive up premiums if people if the guilty party is easier to identify. Wonder what his view on dashcam are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

tl;dr Conor Faughnan of the AA says that many cyclists using helmet cams are "sanctimonious spandex fascists" who primarily use helmet cams in order to shame motorists. Faughnan admits to being a cyclist to work everyday himself but singles out middle aged men on road bikes as out to shame motorists. The piece then leads to interview a commuter cyclist who travels Whitehall to Dublin city center every day and uses a helmet cam to protect himself, he has had a few incidents one which he reported to the Gardai who couldnt believe he had an onboard camera but said they thought it was a good idea. At the end of the interview the cyclist says wearing a camera means he is a safer cyclist as he is filming himself as well as other people.

After the interview with the cyclist Conor Faughnan pipes up again and says he doesnt like the vigilantism of cameras and how they make for a cyclist vs motorist atmosphere (he doesnt acknowledge tons of motorists also have dash cams). The conversation then goes down the price of car insurance so I switched off at that stage.

That was about the size of it.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    tl;dr Conor Faughnan of the AA says that many cyclists using helmet cams are sanctimonious spandex fascists who primarily do so to shame motorists. Faughnan admits to being a cyclist to work everyday himself but singles out middle aged men on road bikes as out to shame motorists. The piece then leads to interview a commuter cyclist who travels Whitehall to Dublin city center every day and uses a helmet cam to protect himself, he has had a few incidents one which he reported to the Gardai who couldnt believe he had an onboard camera but said they thought it was a good idea.

As said before, I have one, purely for my protection, nothing on youtube, nothing to shame other drivers, just if there is an accident, experience has taught me that even with over whelming proof, you still meed more to prove it wasn't you. I hope never to be in a serious accident again but if I am, I want to be cleared or blamed with no wiggle room.

Conor Faughnan is nothing more than a lobbyist and why he is called on as an impartial voice on many motoring issues is often beyond me, particularly when there is rarely an opposing voice called upon for balance if necessary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Yeah I've only been cycling 6 months myself but Ive had enough incidents that I'm beginning to think that having a camera for my own protection is a good idea. If I was commuting on a bike 5 days a week I'd see it as a necessity at this stage tbh.

Its the same old with RTE, anytime they have a report on the property market they allow some estate agent on to the news to talk up the market without any balance, hence we have the narrative in Ireland 'rising electricity, food and petrol costs:BAD, rising house prices:GOOD.
    Same goes for banking news, always some scheister from one of the stockbrokers giving the 'analysis' completely unchallenged. What they fail to mention is that these stockbrokers are the same firms who were advising their clients to buy more AIB shares as the price crashed from €18 down to €10 and eventually 8c or something. But RTE just allow these so called experts have a free run and the license payer foots the bill for the propaganda doled onto us by vested interests.

The motor forum have a thread just for their dashcams

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056524172

• Advertisement

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Yeah I've only been cycling 6 months myself but Ive had enough incidents that I'm beginning to think that having a camera for my own protection is a good idea. If I was commuting on a bike 5 days a week I'd see it as a necessity at this stage tbh.

Its the same old with RTE, anytime they have a report on the property market they allow some estate agent on to the news to talk up the market without any balance, hence we have the narrative in Ireland 'rising electricity, food and petrol costs:BAD, rising house prices:GOOD.
    Same goes for banking news, always some scheister from one of the stockbrokers giving the 'analysis' completely unchallenged. What they fail to mention is that these stockbrokers are the same firms who were advising their clients to buy more AIB shares as the price crashed from €18 down to €10 and eventually 8c or something. But RTE just allow these so called experts have a free run and the license payer foots the bill for the propaganda doled onto us by vested interests.

I commute 5 days a week, at 11km each way from South side to North Dublin and have had a camera on my head for probably 3/4 years and I've yet to catch anything of note. Well nothing that I've had any use for the footage. All my videos online are purely there to show the quality of the footage, or to record nice cycles. So I'm not too sure on just how important they are, but for me, I got done by the gardai on my bike and took them to court. Went on for 2 years, I reckon the helmet camera footage would have helped the case along. And that's it.

I am seeing more and more taking this approach, more so motorbikes, but all the same I can't see the harm. I'm no vigilante, I make the point of never interacting with drivers if I can at all avoid it. Only exception is to say thanks, or to give a thumbs up to a driver, which is a daily occurrence btw.

Advertisement