Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making some extra cash

Options
  • 04-03-2013 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭

I have bought some professional garden tools such as large hedge trimmers, brush cutters ect. I am currently in college and work when weekends, days off and holidays such as the summer. Basically i need to know if it is illegal or legal for me to put up an advertisement for garden maintenance work. which would be cheap. i am studying horticulture. horticulture is the science, art and cultivation of plants so i am pretty much doing something that i will possibly end up doing when i come out of college. so do i need to set up some sort of licence or what is the story?? it would only be within my parish really. how do other garden maintenance business work? do they have some sort of special permit?

any help would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭BigGrayKettle

Illegal from what perspective?

If you trade under a name other than your own name, you'll need to register a business name with the CRO. You'll need to look into the financial side of it in order to declare your income for self assessment with Revenue, but other than that, you can do whatever you want.

Insurance is not legally required for private work, but probably advisable. Maybe specific things apply to this line of business such as waste disposal, but I doubt there is much involved overall. Perhaps you are best seeking the advice from someone in this industry to check the specifics, but from a general business perspective there is relatively little required to get up and running.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 RedRockets

Not at all.

Throw up plenty of notices around your town offering your services supermarkets etc. Maybe some with the number that can be torn off.

Alot of that gardening stuff is word of mouth and your just in time for the gardening season. Plus your just trying to make a few bob.

Just make sure not to hack down those roses by mistake :D

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Hort101

Thanks very much. so over all i am safe to put up notices offering what work i carry out tomorrow?? or whenever i have the notices ready. and theres nothing anyone can do??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

Hort101 wrote: »
    Thanks very much. so over all i am safe to put up notices offering what work i carry out tomorrow?? or whenever i have the notices ready. and theres nothing anyone can do??

Theres all sorts of stuff like taxes and insurance etc. that you should consider in the long term, but sticking up a few notices won't cause you any problem that I am aware of.

Advertisement