Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Different types of runners? Why?

Options
  • 04-03-2013 11:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I run 6 days a week and about 30 miles a week and was prescribed Mizuno Wave Alchemy by Runways when I started running 15 months ago. I got gait analysis done again in AK late last year and was advised to get the same shoe again. I have 2 pairs now which I alternate. I'm still fairly new to all of this so excuse the newbie question, but I see lots of runners on here and elsewhere have many different types of shoes on the go at the same time.
    So, if I'm to throw another pair of runners into the equation, do I just get the same ones again? Or is there any reason why I should buy a different brand/style/type of runner? Am I missing out on something? :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

If you're competitive about your times, you could consider getting a lighter shoe to use on race days.
    That's what a lot of people do, so you could go as far as a racing flat, or just a lighter training shoe.

Its good to alternate your runners in training as it gives them a chance to dry out fully and the foam to regain its full shape after being pounded into the ground for a few miles before the next session.

Personally, I have a couple of pairs, to be extended to 3 shortly. Each pair of shoes is slightly different. One will be used for long runs, one for 5-7 mile easy and tempo runs, and the new pair will be used for track sessions and 5k races, as they will be a very light pair, not really made for pounding out the big miles.

Over time, I expect I might extend the light pair to 8/10k races, the middle pair to the LSRs, and retire the heaviest pair.
    If that's the case I'll probably have to get another pair of middle shoes to alternate between.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭wrstan

I tend to have about 5 pairs on the go, typically 1 pair of racers, 2 pairs of lighter shoes for tempo runs or speed sessions, 2 pairs of more cushioned shoes for LSRs, one of which is usually pretty thrashed and used for trail or v. mucky runs! - oh and a pair of cheap spikes that I use for both CC and track races.

I don't stick rigidly to that, but that's pretty typical. They are all neutral shoes. I think I definitely get more mileage out of my shoes since I started to rotate them. Another advantage is it allows you to try out new styles or take a chance on a bargain that you come accross knowing that you have other shoes to fall back on.

They all live in the boot of my car, apart from the trail ones which have a permanent exclusion zone around them :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

thanks guys for the informative replies. So I guess I might look at getting a lighter shoe for racing and stick to what I'm currently wearing for most of my training. If it ain't broke...
    I'm competitve (very!) with myself but won't be winning anything anytime soon but would like to try something new and lighter for racing and maybe some of my speed training sessions. I don't really know what particular shoes/brands to start looking for so maybe I'll just pop out to AK and ask their advice. I'm kinda curious as to what a lighter shoe might feel like:) sometimes my Mizuno's feel kinda clumpy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

The Alchemy although a motion control shoe is relatively light for a shoe in that category.

I would suggest maybe going down the route of a performance shoe that you can train a little in and for races.Coming from a motion control shoe to a racing flat might be a step too far straight away.

examples would be adidas tempo,asics ds trainer,mizuno elixer,saucony guide ect

The Alchemy although a motion control shoe is relatively light for a shoe in that category.

I would suggest maybe going down the route of a performance shoe that you can train a little in and for races.Coming from a motion control shoe to a racing flat might be a step too far straight away.

examples would be adidas tempo,asics ds trainer,mizuno elixer,saucony guide ect[/QUOTE]

perfect! Exactly the info I was looking for. I'd like to have some kind of idea of what to ask for when I go in and not seem like a complete idiot!
    Mizunos feel light enough alright (but i've nothing to compare them to) but feel big/bulky if you know what I mean.
    thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

examples would be adidas tempo,asics ds trainer,mizuno elixer,saucony guide ect

I use ds trainer for everything, intervals, lsrs etc. Great shoe.

Should I be looking at using ds racer for races/track work?

Ososlo wrote: »
    I'd like to have some kind of idea of what to ask for when I go in and not seem like a complete idiot!

Those folks in AK are very friendly :rolleyes: you don't need to know anything other than what you have put in your OP! Just go in and talk to them. The guys in Bray will let you take a quick run up the street!

wrstan wrote: »
    Those folks in AK are very friendly :rolleyes: you don't need to know anything other than what you have put in your OP! Just go in and talk to them. The guys in Bray will let you take a quick run up the street!

ha ha yeah i know I've been with them in Ballymount a few times already. Just want to have some clue what I'm talking about! "Racing flats" are 2 words I never thought I'd have to use in my life up to this:D

got a pair of Brooks Racer ST 5 in AK on Wednesday. Just christenend them in a mucky run in the park and all good so far. Felt a little lighter alright and I could feel the ground a bit more but they still seem to have a good bit of stability which I need. Came in the door with 2 boxes from Amphibian King on Wed and the OH says "oh I see you've been in lizard king again!":D:D:D

Great choice! I love my ST5's.

• Advertisement

Great choice! I love my ST5's.

cool! Do you think if I wore them for one or two short runs in the next week they could make their racing debut next Saturday?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

cool! Do you think if I wore them for one or two short runs in the next week they could make their racing debut next Saturday?

Absolutely, should have no problem.

Yes, for sure! In fact it would be a good opportunity just to get used to the feel of them. Good luck with the race, make sure you let us know how you get on!

:cool:

thanks guys:)
    will try them out and report back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

OP,The reason you are being recommended those runners is that you're probably a severe overpronator(have flat feet).About 10% of runners have flat feet on average.See here

http://www.sportsshoes.com/support/Choosing_Running_Shoes

I think there are only a limited choice of runners for people who are overpronators with Mizuno Wave Alcemy being a recommended brand.See here.

http://www.sportsshoes.com/product/MIZ1023/mizuno-wave-alchemy-12-running-shoes/

PS This is only my guess.Im no expert.

Yes, for sure! In fact it would be a good opportunity just to get used to the feel of them. Good luck with the race, make sure you let us know how you get on!

:cool:

Reporting back a bit late ;)
    got on great with these at my recent 5k. Have worn them for a few sessions and easy runs since and no problems at all. Delighted with them! Lovely and light with plenty of support. Would highly recommend as a starter racing shoe for an over-pronator. Thanks AK once again :)
    Now, should I wear them for a half marathon at end of April? I've only worn them for shorter stuff so are they suitable for the longer runs?

Great to hear that the ST5s worked out well for you.

I wore mine for the Longford half last year and the Ballycotton 10 in March and they were great.

Great to hear that the ST5s worked out well for you.

I wore mine for the Longford half last year and the Ballycotton 10 in March and they were great.

Cool. I'll try them for a lsr between now and the half just to be sure but I'm fairly confident they're giving me sufficient support so just wondered if they're designed for longer distances. Thanks for the imput!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Cool. I'll try them for a lsr between now and the half just to be sure but I'm fairly confident they're giving me sufficient support so just wondered if they're designed for longer distances. Thanks for the imput!

I think they should be fine for a 1/2 as well. I wore them for the Bohermeen 1/2 recently and they were fine.

you were all so helpful last time i thought i'd pop back for one more question regarding the brooks racer
    st5s. i love these. wore them for half marathon an didn't take any longer than normal to recover. wear them for 10k pace runs each week and no adverse effects. would one consider wearing these for a full marathon? or back to my full stability shoe for marathon. thanks! Ososlo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

you were all so helpful last time i thought i'd pop back for one more question regarding the brooks racer
    st5s. i love these. wore them for half marathon an didn't take any longer than normal to recover. wear them for 10k pace runs each week and no adverse effects. would one consider wearing these for a full marathon? or back to my full stability shoe for marathon. thanks! Ososlo

There is no reason why you couldn't given what you have said. But if I were you I would definitely test them out in a few of your longest long runs ....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

I wore mine in Kildare and as Meno said I was doing my long runs and MP paced runs in them in advance of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

If you're loving them so much and considering extending them to your longer runs, would you consider getting a second pair of them to rotate?
    Giving a pair of shoes a day off for the foam to reform its shape fully can extend the life of the shoe and prevent niggles, so you don't want to end up doing daily runs in the same pair, it'll wear them out quicker.

Worth thinking about.

If you're loving them so much and considering extending them to your longer runs, would you consider getting a second pair of them to rotate?
    Giving a pair of shoes a day off for the foam to reform its shape fully can extend the life of the shoe and prevent niggles.

Worth thinking about.

well I have 3 other pairs of my stability mizuno shoes which I use for all my other running and i rotate these regularly as I run almost every day and do a few doubles a week too. I only use the Brooks for racing and an 8 ish mile run with tempo every Thursday. If I start using the Brooks for some of the lsrs then I'd still only be using them twice a week probably so only say 20 miles in total a week with 4 days between wears. Don't think I can justify buying another pair. Just yet:P You're tempting me though:P

Hi Ososlo

Hope the training is going well, you are certainly storming up the 1,000 mile leader board :eek:, one of my objectives has now become to keep ahead of you! :D

I came across the picture below recently of Maria McCambridge winning the National Marathon title in Dublin last year, and remembered your question above. Check out what's on her feet:

http://www.athleticsireland.ie/content/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/maria-mccambridge.jpg

maria-mccambridge.jpg

Hi Ososlo

Hope the training is going well, you are certainly storming up the 1,000 mile leader board :eek:, one of my objectives has now become to keep ahead of you! :D

I came across the picture below recently of Maria McCambridge winning the National Marathon title in Dublin last year, and remembered your question above. Check out what's on her feet:

http://www.athleticsireland.ie/
    content/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/maria-mccambridge.jpg

maria-mccambridge.jpg

told ya i'd catch up with ya! passing you...now that would be another thing! touch wood training all going fabulously!!!cheers! now i really want another pair of those as they're much nicer in red than my yellow ones!

Advertisement