Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q Sat - Niall Quinns new company

• 04-03-2013 11:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭

Just saw an ad during the republic of telly, they must know us culchies watch it.

Its a satellite internet service, and he says on the ad if you arent happy with the service after 30 days you can cancel it, even though they charge you 149 euro to set it up.
    Standard installation fee is €149 – we do the complete installation for you
    Q Sat can supply and install a residential wireless router for only €29.99, should you wish to WiFi enable your home. You can buy a wireless router from any good electrical shop, but our engineers can only install routers supplied by Q Sat.

Speeds depend on atmospheric conditions, fair usage and other factors. Data Allowance is subject to fair usage policy. Data allowance is the sum of your download and upload usage during a month period

Using their routers sounds a bit sh1t - what if you prefer to use your own!?

http://www.qsat.ie/broadband

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Definately aimed at culchies - No self respecting Dubliner or resident of another city would ever call Cork.

I like the way he specified that its his company - it made me feel a bit safer for some reason. Nice fella, jumper around the neck, played GAA.

I wonder what kind of speeds you could get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

I got it installed in dec.

Got the install for €99 and one month free. Must have been an offer back then.

I don't use their router. Signal comes into their box and I link it to my own wireless router.

So far, happy enough with it. They forgot to give my one month free but said they'd sort it out. It's useless if you wanna game on it and you get unlimited download from 2am to 6am which I use to get my large files sorted.

Had a few poor signal issues in very heavy rain but apart from that it's the best Internet i could get, no one else could give me more than 500k download.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

You don't have to buy the router from them to be fair and routers are plug and play pretty much at this stage.

You'll never get a sat service that can do gaming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Low enough data allowances though - highest one is 15GB, no mention of internet speed though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

thebman wrote: »
    You don't have to buy the router from them to be fair and routers are plug and play pretty much at this stage.

You'll never get a sat service that can do gaming.

Thats not good! Ah well my search for an alternative to eircom continues :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭flutered

hard to see this working, i read about sat broadband over in the satellite fourms, the experts said it is a non runner, one has to go over there and google it.

How is it a non runner??

I've a 20gb limit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Harry Deerpark

How is it a non runner??

I've a 20gb limit.

What speeds do you get? Could you post some on-peak and off-peak speedtest results for us?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

How is it a non runner??

I've a 20gb limit.

It should be the last gasp option when no other options are available. It has pitiful download limit. The ping times make it unsuitable for any realtime protocols, this means gaming, Voip, SIP etc. Due to the smoke and mirrors tricks it uses, it's unsuitable for VPN. It's just just highly optimised browsing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,062 ✭✭✭✭listermint

How good / bad would this be for the likes of watching Youtube streaming.

I have a buddy in a rural predicament.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

listermint wrote: »
    How good / bad would this be for the likes of watching Youtube streaming.

I have a buddy in a rural predicament.

Fine, but the download limits make it useless during peak hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭flutered

deccurley wrote: »
    Definately aimed at culchies - No self respecting Dubliner or resident of another city would ever call Cork..

op chances are if you ring sky you will get thro to cork.

Ok, I'll post up some speed tests.

Regular browsing not a problem.
    Youtube HD video, not instant but will load.
    Download I get is 8mb, more 5-6MB
    Upload I get 1mb but does go up to 3mb
    I dont find it suffers from Peak times at all. I'd be on it most of the time.

What site would you prefer me to test the speed with?

It is a last gasp option. Im one of the exchanges "Not economically viable" to upgrade, live outside of 3g and in a dip, with no line of sight for any other type of broadband.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Harry Deerpark

Ok, I'll post up some speed tests.

Regular browsing not a problem.
    Youtube HD video, not instant but will load.
    Download I get is 8mb, more 5-6MB
    Upload I get 1mb but does go up to 3mb
    I dont find it suffers from Peak times at all. I'd be on it most of the time.

What site would you prefer me to test the speed with?

It is a last gasp option. Im one of the exchanges "Not economically viable" to upgrade, live outside of 3g and in a dip, with no line of sight for any other type of broadband.

Speedtest.net because you can copy and paste the forum link on here you receive at the end of the test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

We've had this here for like a year and TBH it's pants- I only ever use an o2 3G dongle, and I get far better speeds on average. It's expensive for rubbish download limits, and it's a 30 day rolling limit, which means it's very hard to keep track of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭iora_rua

We have Digiweb Satellite and we're happy with it, but we're not into 'gaming' or huge downloads. Satellite was the only thing that would work for us, as our Eircom line is rubbish for internet. Why don't you compare the prices and speeds with Q Sat? Satellite is not the cheapest option, unfortunately, but at least we have a mostly trouble free internet connection and free overnight downloads between 11pm - 7am.

Advertisement