Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where can i find rats or a breeder in Co Kildare?

Options
  • 05-03-2013 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi

Finally into my own place that allows pets and i have been wanting a rat for a very long time , i have found an appropriate cage and i live above a pet store that can supply me all the food, toys ect but no comes the difficult part, finding the rat itself.

The pet shop owner has tried to find me a rat but their suppliers no longer deal with rats because of the lack of interest, are there any decent pet shops where i can find healthy well-looked after rats in Co kildare or are there any breeders in the county , i would rather not search further out of the country because i dont want to put much travel stress on the animal.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Only one reputable rat breeder that I know of, and they're in Cork.

Steer clear of pet shop rats, all kinds of hereditary problems exacerbated by inbreeding.

Another alternative would be to rescue rats that are unwanted or that the owner can't keep
    any longer. Check out the Irish Rat Club forum - they have a homes needed section.

And look for a pair (or trio) of same-sex rats, not one. They are social creatures and love to sleep curled up together, groom each other, etc. A single rat would definitely be losing out, even if you interact with him/her a lot.

Don't worry about the stress of travel; my girls used to travel up and down to Cork with me in their travel carrier all the time. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 AdoptAPet

There is a Rodent Sanctuary in Dublin. Not sure if they have any rats at the moment but I will PM you the details so you can check with the girl that runs it. Either way she might be able to point you in the right direction

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

AdoptAPet wrote: »
    There is a Rodent Sanctuary in Dublin. Not sure if they have any rats at the moment but I will PM you the details so you can check with the girl that runs it. Either way she might be able to point you in the right direction

Ooh, could you mail me those details too please? Just got a new cage with room for more girls - I'd love to rescue!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 DisIsRwss

boomerang wrote: »
    Another alternative would be to rescue rats that are unwanted or that the owner can't keep
    any longer. Check out the Irish Rat Club forum - they have a homes needed section.

I have tried irish rat club but it tells me only members can create accounts now :/ dont suppose there is a way around that is there?

ignore what i said , i was in the wrong section

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

AdoptAPet wrote: »

A sanctuary is the best option, imo.

Going to a (professional) breeder only supports those, who see pet rats as a breeding stock, and sell the poor animals as snake food :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭boxerly

My vet had/has a rat in the surgery.I havnt been there in a few weeks but am sure he is still there.He was handed in, in a terrible state but is great now.He is albino not 100% sure but think he may have bad vision..not 100 % sure though.He creeps me out hahahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I highly recommend the Irish rat club forum, they have a new forum, try this link
    http://irishratclub.forum-phpbb.co.uk/

Also I have 2 young rats from the breeder in cork mentioned above and they are the friendliest, cuddly girls I have seen. Can't recommend them enough.

mymo wrote: »
    I highly recommend the Irish rat club forum, they have a new forum, try this link
    http://irishratclub.forum-phpbb.co.uk/

Also I have 2 young rats from the breeder in cork mentioned above and they are the friendliest, cuddly girls I have seen. Can't recommend them enough.

I don't even know if you could call her a breeder. Her babies dont even look like "rats". They're in a different class entirely!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 AdoptAPet

ShaShaBear wrote: »

Ooh, could you mail me those details too please? Just got a new cage with room for more girls - I'd love to rescue!

And now I have 4 posts so Pm on its way :)

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Zoundz

Just thought I'd ask ShaShaBear what is meant by this:
    I don't even know if you could call her a breeder. Her babies dont even look like "rats". They're in a different class entirely!

Is this good, bad or indifferent? :o:confused::)

xx

• Advertisement

Zoundz wrote: »
    Just thought I'd ask ShaShaBear what is meant by this:

Is this good, bad or indifferent? :o:confused::)

xx

Sorry, I meant good! As in when you look at them, your mind doesn't relate them to what you would imagine a rat to look like. They actually look like adorable little pets.
    They look to be totally out of this world, and when my two girls pass on, I am right onto her waiting list for a pair!

Edit: I should say, hope to get on your waiting list ;)
    Your babies are fabulous, I meant that in my definition of a breeder, you don't provide a service, it's clear you do something you love!

Also, the wooden house for Z and Lemm was a great success, although the string didn't last too long!

Thank you <3 I'm often a bit paranoid that we're lumped in with feeder breeders or petstore breeders or just people who randomly breed any old rats they get from petshops or rescues...

I'm glad you like our guys :D I love them, obviously, am very biased! :) Can't imagine being without them after 10 years :)

xx

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I have to say I was never into rats, as I imagine as the brown 'pest' rats if you know what I mean, but your rats are absolutely divine!! If I ever get my own place away from my mother who is afraid of anything with a hairless tail I would love one of them, their colours are just amazing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

They are FABULOUS!! They look full of personality. :)

I would walk to the ends of the earth for Dusty, she is an absolute beauty!

Why has this been merged here? :/ it's not part of this thread....???

xx

Advertisement