Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vetassess query

Options
  • 05-03-2013 12:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi everyone,

I am looking into a move to WA for 3 or 4 years, hopefully going sometime around the middle of the year. I am just starting to research the visa process and the amount of literature out there is daunting! I do not qualify for a WHV, so I guess it will be skilled migrant (maybe employer or regional sponsored).

My profession is listed in Group A. I have 10+ years experience but will only earn my degree this year. Obviously I will not have the one years post-qualification experience that is mentioned on their website (copied below).

It seems black-and-white reading their information, but perhaps their guidelines allow some flexibility when assessing an individuals experience? Has anyone here been positively assessed without post-qualification experience?

Is this an area where a migration agent could get a favourable result, that would otherwise be difficult for me to achieve dealing with them on my own? I would prefer not to use an agent, but if it helped significantly then I would.

Cheers,

Link to vetassess website:
    http://www.vetassess.com.au/migrate_to_australia/qa2_nominating_occupation.cfm

Quote:
    Group A Occupations require a qualification which is at least at the level of an Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF) Bachelor degree, in a field highly relevant to the nominated occupation. In addition to this, the applicant must have at least one year of post-qualification employment in a field which is highly relevant and at an appropriate skill level to your nominated occupation completed in the five years before the date of application for a Skills Assessment.
    Employment needs to be undertaken after completion of the highly relevant qualification. Pre-qualification employment cannot be considered for Group A.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

In general, the Aussies are a pretty rule-bound bunch, despite their self-image as free-spirited bushrangers. I've no experience of the particular question you're asking, but by and large if there's a statement atht "the application must have at least one year of post-qualification employement" which is relevant and appropriate, that means what it says. You can argue about what "relevant" and "appropriate" mean, but not about what "one year" and "post-qualification" mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭ifeelill

If you have and Engineering degree you may be able to apply for a Skilled – Recognised Graduate (Temporary) Visa (Subclass 476)

This visa allows you and any secondary applicants included in your visa application to remain in Australia for up to 18 months with no restrictions on work or study.

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/476/

• Registered Users Posts: 21 ultrasonic

Thanks guys, theres an age limit of 31 for the 476 graduate visa, which disqualifies me.

There might be a workaround, by nominating a closely related occupation. In Group C there is no requirement for post-qualification experience, pre-qualification experience can be considered.

What are vetassess like to deal with in general?
    Are they rigid or accommodating?
    Easy/hard to get a positive result?

Do they take a reasonable view on your overall situation and do what they can to give a favourable result...
    ...or come across as preferring to reject assessments as soon as they can?

Thanks,

Advertisement