Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two Questions: Import and Storage

Options
  • 05-03-2013 1:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭

Lads,
    Has anyone successfully brought a shotgun into Eire from the States?

From the DoJ page, it appears that I have to have a license before import.

However, my conversation with a local Gardai, who was incredibly knowledgeable and helpful, said I needed to go online to the DoJ and obtain a number, then get the license, then bring it in.

Here's the DoJ link
    http://www.justice.ie/en/JELR/Pages/Individuals#import_non_eu

So, when importing a shotgun, which comes first, the okay from the Gardai to DoJ or from DoJ to Gardai?

Also, if all you have at home is a sxs shotgun and a Ruger 10/22, the only storage requirement is a case/safe attached to a wall, correct? For just these two there are no alarm needed, correct?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

FISMA wrote: »
    Lads,
    Has anyone successfully brought a shotgun into Eire from the States?

From the DoJ page, it appears that I have to have a license before import.

However, my conversation with a local Gardai, who was incredibly knowledgeable and helpful, said I needed to go online to the DoJ and obtain a number, then get the license, then bring it in.

Here's the DoJ link
    http://www.justice.ie/en/JELR/Pages/Individuals#import_non_eu

So, when importing a shotgun, which comes first, the okay from the Gardai to DoJ or from DoJ to Gardai?

Also, if all you have at home is a sxs shotgun and a Ruger 10/22, the only storage requirement is a case/safe attached to a wall, correct? For just these two there are no alarm needed, correct?

Thanks

Pay for gun - get serial number- apply for firearms licence.
    Get licence - apply for import permit.
    Send import permit to firearm source - they apply for export permit.

It will prob have to be sent to an RFD.

With regards to security, your super can impose whatever security requirements he wants. The standards are minimum as set out and can be upped at the supers discretion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

If you can legally carry the gun in the US and you have all your documentation for possession and importation in Ireland as well you can probably bring it over on an Aer Lingus flight as well. There's probably some US airline companies who will facilitate the carraige of firearms as lugage as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

Advertisement