Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zeiss vs Nightforce

Options
  • 05-03-2013 1:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭

I am looking for some glass to put on my Savage FTR in order to do some long range shooting.

In reality, the glass may also do double duty in the field for deer.

I thought I had settled on a Nightforce NXS 12-42x56mm (NPR2), but then had the privilege of looking through a Diavari and was thoroughly impressed.

Unfortunately, the funds are just not there for the Diavari, however the Conquest with a Rapid Z1000 is possible.

So if anyone has some real world experience between the NXS and the Conquest, please advise.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Primary purpose is targets so go with a target scope. If the Zeiss comes with 25 or less power forget it. no matter how clear the glass everyone i know that thought a 25 (or lower) power scope would do found themselves changing shortly afterwards.

If funds are low, but you want the best of both go for Sightron. Less than both Zeiss, and Nightforce, more mag (from 10 to 50 power) good glass, and lite weight. Will do targets in it's sleep, and on 10 power will be suitable for deer. Whatever about the rifle :D (heavy fecking yoke)
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭De_Tomaso

The Nightforce your are mentioning i intended stricly for Target shooting since it has AO parallax adjustment and this is almost useless in hunting situations. Also the 12x magnification on low side is too high for hunting.

The other thing is that Conquest is far far away from the quality of the Victory series of scopes.

So if you intend to do mostly Target shooting, go with Nighforce or Sightron and for hunting choose something made in EU (Docter, Kaps, Kahles, S&B, Zeiss... ).

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭gearoidol

I have a nightforce nxs 5.5-22x56 on my 204 and a zeiss diarvari 6-24x56 t* fl on my 223.The zeiss has far the better glass but I rather the npr2 reticle and the turrets of the nightforce for target shooting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Tackleberry.

FISMA wrote: »
    I am looking for some glass to put on my Savage FTR in order to do some long range shooting.

I thought I had settled on a Nightforce NXS 12-42x56mm (NPR2), but then had the privilege of looking through a Diavari and was thoroughly impressed.

Unfortunately, the funds are just not there for the Diavari, however the Conquest with a Rapid Z1000 is possible.

So if anyone has some real world experience between the NXS and the Conquest, please advise.

Thanks
    I have both of these scopes, I hunted deer with the nightforce and used the conquest for lamping, both are great scopes, but both are not ideal for deer hunting as you want a scope with a good twilight factor that's where a deer hunting scope comes into play late evening early morning stalking. You won't see this until you get the chance to look tru a top end scope late some evening,
    Top end scopes give you maybe another 10mins of hunting, gathering light to give you every chance of shooting that deer that leaves it to the very last minute before it steps out of the woods.
    Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭silverfox1

I have both of these scopes, I hunted deer with the nightforce and used the conquest for lamping, both are great scopes, but both are not ideal for deer hunting as you want a scope with a good twilight factor that's where a deer hunting scope comes into play late evening early morning stalking. You won't see this until you get the chance to look tru a top end scope late some evening,
    Top end scopes give you maybe another 10mins of hunting, gathering light to give you every chance of shooting that deer that leaves it to the very last minute before it steps out of the woods.
    Hope this helps.
    +1
    those zeiss diavari fl are unbelievably clear. I was going to buy one a few months ago but no matter what way i looked at it the sums weren't working out. :o I would say if its going to be mostly a target scope go for the nightforce as the conquest might leave you wanting in both applications. At least you'll only have to loose the last 15 or so minutes with the nightforce. Heavy mule of a set up to be stalking with though.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭zeissman

FISMA wrote: »

Thanks
    I would buy 2 scopes. A sightron 8-32x56 for targets and a smaller high quality stalking scope. If you have a rail on your rifle and a set of mounts on each scope you could swap them around easily with little or no change in point of impact.
    You could probably do this for the same price as the nightforce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Thanks for the input lads.

I had thought that I could get away with one scope. However, they are indeed two different disciplines.

Right now, it looks like I will go with big magnification and get the Nightforce. I also like the NP-R2 reticle. That Velocity 1000 reticle looks good as well.

As for right now, I will wait on a new hunting scope. For what I do, the current glass will suffice.

Thanks again.

Advertisement