Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Old bike, first use after nearly 6 months... tips?

• 05-03-2013 2:27am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭

Evenin' all.

Between one thing and another — and despite all that lovely dry weather we had until very recently :( — I'll be unsheathing the beast taking my old bike out of storage in the coming week, and it's been parked up for about 6 months. Just wondering if any of you might have a few pointers to offer in terms of maintenance/safety checks? I did a search but didn't come across any threads dealing specifically with this...

The bike is an old ('89) Honda CB-1 400 which a mate in Dorset picked up for me for silly money on ebay.co.uk and did a fair bit of work on — new chain & sprockets, tyres, brake pads, re-did all the seals on the carbs (gaskets and whatever you call that diaphragm thingy?). It was all running pretty sweet last October when I had to park it up due to health problems, and I'm looking forward to finally getting back on the road again. I'd be your basic oul'-fella/Sunday driver type, just got back on the bike a couple of years ago after twenty-odd years of marriage/kids/family saloons (etc.). I used to be OK with basic bike maintenance but it's been a while now...

I know I'll need to:
    • charge the battery
    • change oil and filter
    • drain the carbs and throw out the half-tank of petrol I left in it
    • lube and tension the chain (shoulda greased it all up before I put it away, but didn't get the chance...)
    • lube and check cables and levers (at least the thing has been under a rain cover, and it hasn't frozen hard around our way at all this winter)
    • top up fluids as necessary

Apart from obvious things like bulbs/fuses, are there any other checks I should do (or get done by a mechanic)? Brakes, particularly — the pads were changed not long ago and I'd say they've a bit of life in them yet, but apart from expecting some initial stickiness do I need to do anything more than take it easy until the pads and discs get to know each other again? Similarly, what about tyres — other than the obvious visual once-over and checking the pressure, anything to watch out for?

Etc.

TIA for any advice...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

IMO you have your basis covered, in fact six months isn't that long off the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Cheers mate, I kinda hoped so but when you get auld and doddery like me it's best to get a second (or third) opinion! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

If the tyres lost a lot of pressure you may have a flat spot. Not much you can do about it, bar new tyres, just be aware.

Also give the fuel system a decent flush, while 6 months isn't too long for being laid up unleaded petrol can gunk up fairly quickly, and half a tank could have allowed corrosion of the top part of the tank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭Roadskill

peckerhead wrote: »
    Evenin' all.

Between one thing and another — and despite all that lovely dry weather we had until very recently :( — I'll be unsheathing the beast taking my old bike out of storage in the coming week, and it's been parked up for about 6 months. Just wondering if any of you might have a few pointers to offer in terms of maintenance/safety checks? I did a search but didn't come across any threads dealing specifically with this...

The bike is an old ('89) Honda CB-1 400 which a mate in Dorset picked up for me for silly money on ebay.co.uk and did a fair bit of work on — new chain & sprockets, tyres, brake pads, re-did all the seals on the carbs (gaskets and whatever you call that diaphragm thingy?). It was all running pretty sweet last October when I had to park it up due to health problems, and I'm looking forward to finally getting back on the road again. I'd be your basic oul'-fella/Sunday driver type, just got back on the bike a couple of years ago after twenty-odd years of marriage/kids/family saloons (etc.). I used to be OK with basic bike maintenance but it's been a while now...

I know I'll need to:
    • charge the battery
    • change oil and filter
    • drain the carbs and throw out the half-tank of petrol I left in it
    • lube and tension the chain (shoulda greased it all up before I put it away, but didn't get the chance...)
    • lube and check cables and levers (at least the thing has been under a rain cover, and it hasn't frozen hard around our way at all this winter)
    • top up fluids as necessary

Apart from obvious things like bulbs/fuses, are there any other checks I should do (or get done by a mechanic)? Brakes, particularly — the pads were changed not long ago and I'd say they've a bit of life in them yet, but apart from expecting some initial stickiness do I need to do anything more than take it easy until the pads and discs get to know each other again? Similarly, what about tyres — other than the obvious visual once-over and checking the pressure, anything to watch out for?

Etc.

TIA for any advice...
    You can do as much as you feel happy with but 6 months isn't much.
    Wouldn't worry about the fuel unless your bike is in a very damp place. just top it up. Sticking brakes, deffo tyre pressures, Normally they will drop about 10 - 15 psi and check fluids. The bike should be grand but don't forget to check your riding just as much cos 6 months off will make you more rusty than the bike could be. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭peckerhead

I know what you mean, wish I could put myself into storage for a few months every winter...!

Thanks again, lads. Hoping to make a start this weekend and will report back.

• Advertisement
Advertisement