Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

who better company for my dog, dog or cat?

• 05-03-2013 3:05am

So I have a bit of an unsociable dog. He isn't aggressive as such but just doesn't play wit other dogs. He growls sometimes at dogs he doesn't know, but he stays in my friends house when I'm away, he gets on ok wit her dog & cat. They don't play tho. I'm just worried bout him spending time on his own at home. He seems to be disliking it more & more. I was thinking bout getting him some company but don't know wot wud work better dog or cat. He is a people dog, definately not a dogs dog. How wud I know if a cat would be good company? Any ideas anyone?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

What kind of breed is he? Or does the vet think he's a mix of? How old is he? Where and when did you get him?
    A regular play date with another dog that's similar in temperament (not a puppy that would just yap, nip and annoy him) would probably be better and safer than introducing a new animal into his space to share his human(s).

What kind of breed is he? Or does the vet think he's a mix of? How old is he? Where and when did you get him?
    A regular play date with another dog that's similar in temperament (not a puppy that would just yap, nip and annoy him) would probably be better and safer than introducing a new animal into his space to share his human(s).

he's a springer, maybe a mix of something else in there but pretty much all springer.
    i got him from the dogs home nearly two years ago. think he is about 5 years old now.
    he doesnt really play with other dogs at all. i just get the feeling he is getting bored when he is left alone. i don hide things around for him, and put food and things in cardboard tubes, plastic bottles, kongs etc.
    maybe im overly worried, do dogs get bored as time goes on or do they get used to things the way they are?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

maybe try him with an adult neutered female first they make better companions than male/male where you may have dominance issues try with a friends dog at your house then hes in his domain any may react differently usually springers are not this way inclined

Advertisement