Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going rate for logo design for a business?

Options
  • 05-03-2013 4:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭

What is the going rate to get a logo designed for a bar? I have no idea and have only gotten one price from a friend and don't know whether its good value

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭messymess

Expect to pay somewhere between $30 to $100. Hop on to some place like elance and let people bid on your requirements, then find someone with a portfolio and reputation that you like and use them.

-edit: sorry I'm working on the presumption that this is a digital logo. If your question relates to something physical, I haven't got a clue!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Expect to pay anything from €5 - €XX,000/€XXX,000.

Is your friend:
    a) a 13 year old with a copy of MS Paint and a small packet of crayons.
    b) a graphic design student.
    c) a small graphic design studio.
    d) The chairman of an international design and branding agency with branches in London, New York, Paris and Hong Kong.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bizzyb

Check out fiverr.com, if you see a designer you like it only costs $5.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭clio_16v

He's a qualified graphic designer with a few years experience. I'll check out those sites and see whats on offer

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Don't forget that it isn't just a logo you are buying, it is the branding for your bar. You might need the logo formatted for both web and print, in a range of sizes and with guidelines for correct usage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 RedRockets

A logo will cost as much as your willing to pay for it. Thats basically it.

In otherwords you could get a decent logo done online for a 50-100 euro or go to an print bureau and they will charge you 300-500. A full design agency will charge even more.

Any of the websites mentioned above will do the job for you.

ps. decide on your colours, style, concept, and the image you want to portray, tagline ? etc,. You will be asked these questions and more whoever you go to.If they dont ask these basic questions, move on to a different designer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Another option is www.99designs.com , not as cheap as sites like elane, odesk and peopleperhour but there are some excellent designers on there

• Registered Users Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Make sure you consider the file format too. Some printshops are happy with a high-quality jpg but others want scalable vectors. The latter can be important if you want to display the logo in large formats such as banners, billboards, top-floor signage, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Corkbah

clio_16v wrote: »
    He's a qualified graphic designer with a few years experience. I'll check out those sites and see whats on offer

if a friend gives you a quote he/she is more than usually giving you "mates rates" so ...you are probably getting a good discount on what they normally charge.

they might consider they are doing you a deal but you might think that compared to the multitude of sites and freelancers out there that the offer might be expensive.

No offence intended towards you OP but if a mate gave me a price, I'd trust that they would be giving me a deal and would pay them - do you not trust your mate ?

you could always do it yourself ...only takes imagination and some free online tools....and hours of learning...many hours of learning.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Merger

Try elance.com

Brilliant site

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭bucks

I use http://logotournament.com/ for all my logos.

As others have said, you could pay as little as a few euro or thousands of euro.

The only advice I would give however is that this logo will represent your brand/product/service so do not skimp.

I used to try and tackle logos myself but getting them ready for different formats such as print etc.. was beyond my skill level.

Now I just come up with an idea I like, build a brief around it and get designers to submit entries via logo tournament. Many a time they have taken my idea and made it a lot better.

bucks wrote: »
    I use http://logotournament.com/ for all my logos.

As others have said, you could pay as little as a few euro or thousands of euro.

The only advice I would give however is that this logo will represent your brand/product/service so do not skimp.

I used to try and tackle logos myself but getting them ready for different formats such as print etc.. was beyond my skill level.

Now I just come up with an idea I like, build a brief around it and get designers to submit entries via logo tournament. Many a time they have taken my idea and made it a lot better.

What line of business are you in? Would you do all of the work before letting the customer decide to pay you or somebody else?

What line of business are you in? Would you do all of the work before letting the customer decide to pay you or somebody else?

The nature of that site is that you submit a brief and let designers 'compete' for the job.

I can see why many designers may not like the 'idea' of that as they prefer to have exclusivity with their clients and a guaranteed pay day...

However, nobody is forcing designers to submit a design or compete for the work ;)

I have submitted many tenders for jobs, spent hours and money on doing so and have not received the job, but heh, that's business! :cool:

The nature of that site is that you submit a brief and let designers 'compete' for the job.

I can see why many designers may not like the 'idea' of that as they prefer to have exclusivity with their clients and a guaranteed pay day...

However, nobody is forcing designers to submit a design or compete for the work ;)

I have submitted many tenders for jobs, spent hours and money on doing so and have not received the job, but heh, that's business! :cool:

But what if your work was the design (or in your case tender preparation)? You wouldn't ask 10 photographers to take your family photo, and only pay for the one you like... You'd chose one based on their portfolio, price and availability etc.

...oh, and no, I'm not a graphic designer BTW. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

But what if your work was the design (or in your case tender preparation)? You wouldn't ask 10 photographers to take your family photo, and only pay for the one you like... You'd chose one based on their portfolio, price and availability etc.

What's all this "what if" stuff - the sites exist as mentioned.

What's all this "what if" stuff - the sites exist as mentioned.

I was asking Bucks to put him(her)self in the position of a graphic designer - doing the required work before competing for the paycheck.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

I was asking Bucks to put him(her)self in the position of a graphic designer - doing the required work before competing for the paycheck.

Why? Many already have and are happy to do so. You can see this by the number of designs/designer/sites. If you do not like the idea do not use those services.

I know exactly what you mean and understand where you are coming from and I can see why some designers may frown upon such as service but many designers seem happy to use it and compete for the work.

Again, no designer is forced to use it.

And if a service existed where 10 photographers would take my pics and let me choose the best one then I would definitely use it :cool:
    ...oh, and no, I'm not a graphic designer BTW. :D

:D

I know exactly what you mean and understand where you are coming from and I can see why some designers may frown upon such as service but many designers seem happy to use it and compete for the work.

Again, no designer is forced to use it.

That's why I asked what line of business you are in. Would you use or support a system where even at your best you only get paid for one hour out of every 12 you work?

Of course, if you were earning the local equivalent of 12 hours wages for that one hour, it wouldn't be so bad... :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Beware of those logo competition websites. Why do you think so many designers are willing to partake? Because most of the time they're just uploading a preexisting image as their submission - a lot of the stuff you see would take a long time to do up in Photoshop and Illustrator and dozens of designers aren't going to sit there and work away for hours, knowing they've got a tiny chance of winning the contract. Maybe they'll do it once or twice, but eventually most will get frustrated having spent hours working on original designs only to lose out. Meaning that those who persist are the ones taking the shortcut...uploading a graphic that they or someone else (more likely) has already done that best fits the job brief.

The client isn't going to know the difference, and maybe they won't care, given that it is quite unlikely anyone will ever actually notice that your logo has been used before. But don't think that you have dozens of talented designers working away for hours on original design work for you for the 1/100 chance to win your $99!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭afatbollix

bizzyb wrote: »
    Check out fiverr.com, if you see a designer you like it only costs $5.

Well I've gone for some Indian bloke who will make me 5 logos. Might as well try it its only a few pounds. I shall report back with the finished result.

Its for my website which I haven't updated in ages but generates no business for me so I just want it to look pretty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

Also be sure to carefully look through the contract on who will own the rights when complete. Some will sign them over on full payment and others will hold onto them limiting you in the future. They may also contain terms on future changes to the logo and notification to the original designer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭afatbollix

He is handing over a PSD file so Im guessing its all mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

I was talking in general to anyone getting a logo done but I see in your case fiverr.com say all rights are with the buyer unless stated otherwise in the gig description so check the fine print. Can be a costly mistake to assume anything in design.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭IpreDictDeatH

We recently just got a logo designed, paid around €300 and am totally chuffed with the result. As someone else said, its not just a logo, its a brand. I just didnt feel comfortable until i had a brand that fit my business model. I would have paid more than i did to get that. I would suggest going with someone who is recommended. Look to family and friends, student graphic designers maybe? You want someone you can sit down face to face and flesh out ideas, someone creative. You dont want some company doing a design from an email you sent them.

PM me if you want the contact details of the girl i worked with. Reasonably priced, very creative and approachable.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Professional logo design: between €150 and €1000, more if it's a full corporate identity work-up, not just a logo.

Before you hire a professional, it is worthwhile spending $5 on a test run on fiverr: it will give you an appreciation of quality graphic design :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

Beware of those logo competition websites. Why do you think so many designers are willing to partake? Because most of the time they're just uploading a preexisting image as their submission - a lot of the stuff you see would take a long time to do up in Photoshop and Illustrator and dozens of designers aren't going to sit there and work away for hours, knowing they've got a tiny chance of winning the contract.

Having used various freelance sites the way alot of these "designers" work is quite simply that they are not designers but more - graphic sweatshops based in S/E Asia (I don't have any issue with that if they can do the work!)

E.g. One "Guy" I used was creating me up various logos on and off for $30 a pop, that included 6 initial samples of various types and unlimited revisions and he was fantastic to deal with and generally was able to knock out stuff within 24/48 hours of starting the job as he was always online.

Had a long chat with him one day on how he was able to knock out stuff so fast, and he told me that when he recieves my job he would then allocate my design to 6 of the 100 designers working in the office who have access to a shared library of stock imagery, fonts, etc ....

So basically I say "fish", they go look in the fish folder on the server. I say "make the fish smile", they throw it into illustrator and make it smile for me.... and so on until I get a logo I LIKE. I want to stress this as it'll come up later.

I'm guessing each of the 100 designers is probably on commission too, so in their interest to make theirs the winning design in order to get paid.

When it comes to the contest sites, in MOST cases of the lower value (sub $1500) designs are simply templates that have already been created by the designers. They Submit it, it loses, they submit the same design to someone else with a different logo in maybe a lower cost contest next time until it does sell eventually.

However that was simply for pretty plain website logos, if it is corporate branding its no use whatsoever relying on what YOU want as a logo, you will need to either get a marketing firm to do proper case studies.

OR if you are doing it on the cheap let as many people you can see the designers concepts of what they prefer.

I have yet to see a successful company owner who actually has good taste in Graphic design where it comes to his own business. Potential clients are the people you should really focus your case study efforts on.

Just as a sample of that. I've been doing work on a site for about a year now, and recently we went for a design change as the original one, while easy to navigate and functioned great, looked like crap - kinda mid 2005 looking site, lots of color clash issues, page too long, fonts too big and nasty looking etc.

So we got a really gorgeous new design made, really slick modern looking and cost a fair few $ as well.

Installed it and the bounce rate (people leaving the site after a few seconds) went sky high! from 50% to 85% overnight.

Now bear in mind, the layout remained exactly the same, the text remained the same, menus the same, what we had changed mostly was the style of the buttons and fonts and a new background, and matched the colors throughout.

The reason: the potential clients are lower income and thought the service was "out of their league" with the slick new look.

We changed the site back and straight away, bounce rate went down.

Anyhow bottom line is you get what you pay for, if you are selling a product or starting a potentially big business, you should IMHO go with a reputable agency or designer as it might be the difference between selling and not selling your product.

Where it comes to the web you can get away with a little more freedom as changing is not that hard and you are not tied to much into the investment of advertising, business cards etc...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 56 ✭✭maria_81

I've had two logos designed on www.logotournament.com

Was very happy with the results. Got to choose from loads of designs made to my preference.

Not only is it a cheaper option than contacting a graphic designer directly, it also makes alot more sense to be able to choose from different designers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

maria_81 wrote: »
    I've had two logos designed on logotournament.com

Was very happy with the results. Got to choose from loads of designs made to my preference.

Not only is it a cheaper option than contacting a graphic designer directly, it also makes alot more sense to be able to choose from different designers.

I think you're better off ignoring expensive logo competition websites like that and just creating one yourself - here's some tips from Intel (PDF).

Advertisement