Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ashes 2013 - see mod warning in post 689

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

kryogen wrote: »
    Think it was a case of Aus letting one slip away there sadly, would have been great for the series if they had won it imo

That opening game was great for the series regardless. Okay we are not at a level of controvasy as Bodyline but that 1 game gave more than some whole series of games. Lords will be a different challenge. Lots more to come from both teams and a slight advantage to England could easily be wiped out at Lords.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Going forward...

Tom Moody says Agar out bowled Swann. I thought I was the only one who saw that. Austraila played him well, special mention has to go to Hughes here after what happened to him with spin in India. He was a revelation actually, he isn't a walking wicket anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,791 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

It's not cheating if it's against Australia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭For Paws

Beefy78 wrote: »
    It's not cheating if it's against Australia.

Although it's understandable that Australia are seen to be hypocritical when they accuse other sides of cheating, particularly not walking, it's not true of every Australian batsman.

Adam Gilchrist brought on his team mate's glares when, on more than one occasion, he walked without waiting for the umpire's signal.

Broad's failure to walk will be remembered by some longer than his best innings.
    Who wants that kind of legacy as a Test player ?

When not walking becomes standard, what other forms of cheating are next to be accepted ?

It may be that a change in the Laws is needed to remove the shadow of cheating.
    Increasing the number of DRS appeals allowable might help.

Not walking is standard nowadays, I'd have said. It's not for Broad to do the umpire's job for him. It's not for Broad to do Clarke's job for him and keep referrals back. I understand why Australia were angry and I understand why Swann was angry a year before against Sri Lanka.

For me it's part of the theatre that is this rivalry. I think Broad would have walked normally but in this series against this team he's not going anywhere. He'll no doubt be public enemy #1 in the winter and I'm looking forward to cheering him twice as loudly in Melbourne and Sydney as a result.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

For Paws wrote: »

<pedantry>DRS appeals are not a matter of the Laws of Cricket, they're a test match regulation. </pedantry> :)

A Law change to deal with this would be interesting - it might have to be counter-intuitive, by saying that no player can give himself out, but must wait for the umpire to dismiss him. This would then have to apply for everything, including bowled. That could give rise to a ridiculous situation where a batsman has all 3 stumps removed by a ball that completely beat him, but must stand there waiting for the ump to raise his finger...

Sounds outlandish, but several years of reading regulations and assisting umpires with strategies for coping with situations shows me that if you can imagine a situation then it's fairly likely to happen at some point in the season!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

Although it's understandable that Australia are seen to be hypocritical when they accuse other sides of cheating, particularly not walking, it's not true of every Australian batsman.

Adam Gilchrist brought on his team mate's glares when, on more than one occasion, he walked without waiting for the umpire's signal.
    It interesting that you mention Gilchrist then bring up this;
    When not walking becomes standard, what other forms of cheating are next to be accepted ?

Gilchrist, as I'm sure most here will know, was a wicketkeeper. Much of his career was pre-UDRS, so how many wickets do you think he helped get by claiming catches he know hadn't hit the bat, LBWs he knew were pitching outside or missing. etc. Is that an excusable part of the game? Are we holding batsmen to higher standards than bowers and wicket keepers?

Most of the whining about this is coming from the Aussie media, yet there seems to be no mention of Haddin not walking. If I could hear the edge then he must have heard it. He knew his bat and the ball were nowhere near his pad and as soon as it hit his head shot around to see if it was taken. He didn't walk, but it didn't matter as England used their reviews properly - for checking poor calls not gambling on marginal LBW shouts in desperation.

No changes to DRS required with the exception perhaps with better detection of run outs & stumpings (e.g. Agar)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

I take issue with not walking being referred to as cheating. The umpire is there to do their job, and if they dont give the player out then why should the batsman overrule the umpires decision? Broads one the other day was a shocker from the umpire; you can lambast Broad all you want but thats the bottom line. Australia were not helped also by the fact that they wasted their DRS referrals.

To me walking is one of those things that should be applauded when it happens but should never be expected. Not any more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

djimi wrote: »
    I take issue with not walking being referred to as cheating. The umpire is there to do their job, and if they dont give the player out then why should the batsman overrule the umpires decision? Broads one the other day was a shocker from the umpire; you can lambast Broad all you want but thats the bottom line. Australia were not helped also by the fact that they wasted their DRS referrals.

To me walking is one of those things that should be applauded when it happens but should never be expected. Not any more.

I'd have 100% walked. It was a very loud nick and was obvious. The Spirit of the Game is a clear level above all/most other sports. Football (diving), Rugby (gouging), GAA (where do I start).....

I like Broad as a player and good bloke but feel he didn't do the right thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,836 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Rascasse wrote: »
    England side unchanged for Lord's. I know it's Finn's home ground, but I expected him to be subbed for Bresnan.

I think they just named the squad which is the same as it was at Trent Bridge, that change to the XI could still happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

HonalD wrote: »
    I'd have 100% walked. It was a very loud nick and was obvious. The Spirit of the Game is a clear level above all/most other sports. Football (diving), Rugby (gouging), GAA (where do I start).....

I like Broad as a player and good bloke but feel he didn't do the right thing.

Haddin didn't walk at the end there. People are just not going to walk this series.

Haddin didn't walk at the end there. People are just not going to walk this series.

Very few players walk, although didn't Bairstow walk in the 2nd innings? I think he was given out anyway but he didn't hang about for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Gordon Gecko

Reading a cricinfo article there about the ICC defending the umpiring and they didn't even mention the Agar stumping which for me, as a wicketkeeper, is the most glaring, blatant and frankly inexplicable bit of bad umpiring I say in the match!

Third Umpire decision. Can't even hide Erasmus up there and I think he is in the middle for Lord's.:eek:
    Faintest of nicks against the big deflection of Broad's. With fifteen to get, he was never walking for that.

That's the gray area people talk about. Nobody will hold that against Haddin unlike those incidences of Broad and Clarke.

• Advertisement

Reading a cricinfo article there about the ICC defending the umpiring and they didn't even mention the Agar stumping which for me, as a wicketkeeper, is the most glaring, blatant and frankly inexplicable bit of bad umpiring I say in the match!

The Agar stumping was probably the most significant umpiring error but the miss for the Broad catch behind was breathtaking!

Third Umpire decision. Can't even hide Erasmus up there and I think he is in the middle for Lord's.:eek:

Faintest of nicks against the big deflection of Broad's. With fifteen to get, he was never walking for that.

That's the gray area people talk about. Nobody will hold that against Haddin unlike those incidences of Broad and Clarke.

The irony is that nearly all Australians won't hold anything against Broad, it will be people in this neck of the woods that will!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Haddin said he knew he nicked it, so what is the difference. So you judge when to be gallant by how important the moment in the match is, or how much of the bat you hit? My opinion of Broad is fairly low, but not because of the non walk, that is modern cricket.

Poor umpiring generally, very high pressure gig though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭booth70

Clarke calls Watson a 'cancer' !.....according to Mickey Arthur

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/michael-clarke-called-shane-watson-a-cancer-on-the-team-says-former-coach-mickey-arthur-20130716-2q26s.html

Australia have to simply win at Lords......the wheels will come off if they don't

booth70 wrote: »
    Clarke calls Watson a 'cancer' !.....according to Mickey Arthur

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/michael-clarke-called-shane-watson-a-cancer-on-the-team-says-former-coach-mickey-arthur-20130716-2q26s.html

Australia have to simply win at Lords......the wheels will come off if they don't

He's a bit of a reputation for this with Katich, Hussey and now Watson having rows with him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭baboo800

Where can I listen to coverage on fm radio?

Was Clarke a bad choice as captain then? Not much to choose from at the time or now even. Cricket is pretty much an individual game anyway and the new regime with Lehmann seems to be working well so far.

A Law change to deal with this would be interesting - it might have to be counter-intuitive, by saying that no player can give himself out, but must wait for the umpire to dismiss him. This would then have to apply for everything, including bowled. That could give rise to a ridiculous situation where a batsman has all 3 stumps removed by a ball that completely beat him, but must stand there waiting for the ump to raise his finger...

Sounds outlandish, but several years of reading regulations and assisting umpires with strategies for coping with situations shows me that if you can imagine a situation then it's fairly likely to happen at some point in the season!

With a respectful nod to your experience, dealing with 'not walking' in this way only continues with placing the onus on umpires to give correct decisions, without in any way providing them with any better means to do so. Arming the batsman with yet another degree of latitude will not stop players & spectators believing that a batsman should walk if he knows he's out.
    If the umpire errs in not giving a player out, and that player, certain that he is out, cannot 'walk' then the Laws are only preventing him from being honest in favour of him being correct.

For me, acceptance of umpiring errors is part & parcel of the game.
    And so is 'walking'.

I suppose the counter argument to that is that the ICC have implemented the DRS system so that players have a way of challenging the umpires decision if they feel that it is incorrect. Had Australia not wasted their referrals on some nonsense LBW challenge then they could have reviewed Broads dismissal and he would have been given out. Its a strategic part of the game nowadays; for Broad to have walked would have allowed Australia off the hook for wasting their two DRS referrals. They had the means to review and challenge the decision, and its not the batsmans fault that they didnt use the system wisely enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭decies

Come on Aus we need to win the toss and bat at lords !!

decies wrote: »
    Come on Aus we need to win the toss and bat at lords !!

+1

Test Series going all the way to the last session on the 5th day (Sun Aug 25) of the 5th Test :)

I've booked Thursday and Friday afternoons off of work this week. No pretending to work whilst listening to TMS for me this week.

Well... only for the morning sessions anyway :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 89 ✭✭Kia_Kaha

Beefy78 wrote: »
    I've booked Thursday and Friday afternoons off of work this week. No pretending to work whilst listening to TMS for me this week.

Well... only for the morning sessions anyway :)

Haha - me too ! TMS on - sat in a the garden under a tree - glass of 'lemonade' on the go - bliss. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

Not a great start for England!

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭wicorthered

The last session today is going to be huge.

After such a strong start the Aussies look completely out of ideas. If England get to stumps 5 down, it's a long way back for Australia, having such a weak batting line up!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Yeah, England have recovered really well today, fair play to them.

I think there's no reason why they can't get to the end of the day with only the 4 down, and somewhere up around the 330 mark, come in tomorrow and rack up another 250 or so and finish up in or around 500, maybe even make Australia follow on.

I think there's no reason why they can't get to the end of the day with only the 4 down,
    Jinxer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

:o

Sorry Bellers!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

last Prior wicket huge in terms of quickly amassing big runs

big news of the day: Ryan Harris has made it through without injuring himself. He even managed 20 overs. 21 would be pushing it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Watson is such a tool. Again wastes a review and again it costs Australia.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

This has been a very interesting hour or so since lunch.

After being the reason I started watching cricket 15 years ago, it pains me to see how rubbish Australia have become!!

Can't bowl, can't bat, can't review properly. If England don't win 5-0 Cook should be sacked!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Peiterson catches Khawaja. 68-4. Jubbly.

Australia really are foolish when it comes to the reviews. England have been very clever and very measured when deciding when to review. Watson was a moron for reviewing that; he didnt even look remotely convinced.

• Advertisement

Would Australia be better off being forced to follow on. If they could somehow scrap out 400 second time round, they might have an outside chance of defending 180-200 on a final day pitch?

That being said doubt England would enforce the follow on. Knowing the only thing Australia can chase is their own tail!

Yeah I doubt England would enforce a follow on. They'll look to bat Australia out of the game (which doesn't look like it would need much).

I agree. Pitch is still in good condition so bat all day tomorrow while giving the bowlers a rest.

russianroulette.jpg

That was absolutely hopeless from Australia.....this series as a contest is over now

22 overs left today.....If England get stuck in this could end before lunch tomorrow:(

C'mon Australia....SHOW SOME FIGHT!

A sell out for 5 days and that will be mean a fair few refunds!

• Advertisement

England not enforcing the follow on....at least we'll have a fourth day then!

The opening batsman also opens the bowling for Australia........what is going on with Australian cricket:(

He was meant to be giving up the bowling to prevent injuries. They'll regret it if he over does it and gets injured again - he pulled up in the first test with a niggle in his leg.

Nothing worse than a bad all rounder!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭decies

Am watching the golf , Aussies a disgrace to their past greats !!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement