Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Town Centre Plan Dead In The Water

Options
  • 05-03-2013 10:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭

Not that it will come as a galloping shock to anyone after 13 years of planning applications, objections and counter applications, but the County Manager himself confirmed at Monday nights (see report) council meeting that the project was as good as dead.

When it was first revealed I thought to myself it'd have trouble getting off the ground but I didn't think it would be so protracted.

So is that it I wonder? Are we doomed to suffer the chaos of Wine Street Car Park till days end? And the news that receivers have been called into Quayside Centre is also a bit unnerving, is it time for the Chamber of Commerce to STFU and let Carraroe Retail Park put in whatever shops it wants?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Bichon Lover

It looks bad all around.

You did not mention Johnstons Court which is also going downhill fast; from smart shopping centre to down-at-heel market.
    I agree that all restrictions on Carraroe Retail Park should be lifted but it is against government policy which is fixated on the alleged damage done by such parks so there would be a problem there.

Sligo seems to have the worst of both worlds; a declining town centre and and a retail park which is failing. Lift all planning restrictions on retail outlets and see where it gets us. It cannot get worse, can it? :confused:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Sligo is suffering from a lack of new investment in terms of industries, enterprises and jobs. Without new enterprises and industries the town will stagnate and/or continue to go downhill.

The local economy needs money in the form of consumer spending and that can only come if new jobs and enterprises are created.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭daveboy01

Are the Dunnes (Adelaide St) and Penny's re-developments going ahead?

I think there should be a new plan along these lines:

1. Allow a large Tesco store at Carraroe - every other town in Ireland has one at this stage and Sligo is falling behind

2. Redevelop Wine St Car park as a park / plaza - with large grass area and paved square that could host the farmers market (currently down at the IT) and other outdoor events. Granted it would mean less spaces for cars but i'm sure another car park could be found with all the vacant sites around town.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Freedive Ireland

Tesco at Brooks yard or the docks Big car park, do weekely shop then walk into town centre everyone happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I remember when I was living in London, reading about all these amazing plans for Sligo. Pretty certain that is was around the 1998 mark. Boy was I dissappointed when I finally moved home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Sligo is suffering from a lack of new investment in terms of industries, enterprises and jobs. Without new enterprises and industries the town will stagnate and/or continue to go downhill.

The local economy needs money in the form of consumer spending and that can only come if new jobs and enterprises are created.

This is it in a nutshell.

We spent the Celtic tiger years building yuppy style apartments and shopping malls instead of upgrading the town infrastructure, which would have made the town more attractive to industry.

Building more of the same might boost the construction sector for a short while but it will solve nothing in the long term.

Advertisement