Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest way of getting a divorce.

• 05-03-2013 10:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 109 ✭✭

I am hoping I may be able to get some advice from the very knowledgable people on this forum.

I have been separated since 2007 with a formal legal separation in place since May 2009. This process was both full of anxiety and cost (many € '000s on both sides).

I now wish to initiate divorce proceedings and want to go about it with the least possible cost. How would the members of this forum suggest I do this and also what steps do I need to take to start the process?

I have fulfilled every element of the formal separation agreement since its' inception, in fact I have exceeded many elements of it in terms of the amount of agreed maintenance, putting a life policy in place to ensure that future maintenance payments were covered until my youngest dependant has reached the age where she is no longer a dependant in the event of my early passing etc.

One element of the agreement has not been fulfilled and that is the agreement to sell the family home. Despite it being on the market we have been unsuccessful in doing so due, primarily, to the current economic environment. My family continues to reside in the property and I continue to pay 2/3rds of the mortgage - will this be a sticking point in the divorce proceedings?

Would appreciate any advise that you may be able to give me.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭sffc

I really don't know if the lack of house sale will be a sticking point , others may have an opinion but I'd be more inclined to ask your solicitor . He/She should know .
    Well done on getting a legal separation , where children, property etc. are involved it's hardly ever easy . It's time and money well spent though as (without getting into legal stuff) it will smoothen the way for a divorce . Hopefully it will make it a formality !
    I'm concerned though that you mention "the least possible cost " when you talk about divorce proceedings . My opinion and it is only my opinion is that professional guidance in this matter is money well spent - at least initially to know exactly where you currently stand and what your options are . The legal fees for your separation and future divorce have to be set in context . You have and will spend tens of thousands in maintainance /life insurance policies etc . Even if good legal advice doesn't immediately or over time save you money (it usually does ) you have the knowledge you have a fair deal or the almost the best you could have achieved . That "fair deal feeling" is vital to make a separation work - and when you have kids your separation needs to work in place of your marraige .
    If you and your ex are happy with the terms of the Legal Separation then things could be very inexpensive . I'm only two years on myself but know friends with legal separations who were in agreement and did the Divorce donkey work themselves with little cost . Others here can help with the practicalities I'm sure :-)

Advertisement