Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Site opposite Lidl, Headford Rd

Options
  • 05-03-2013 10:48am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭

What's going on at the ex-Esso petrol station opposite Lidl?
    It has had hoardings around it for years. Now the site has been cleaned up, hoarding removed, forecourt cover removed and a little building remains.
    Is there something new going in there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭foxy_19-89

AFAIK, an ex petrol station site must be left idol for a certain period of time if something other than a petrol station wishes to go in to that site. It will be nice to see the site being used finally though!

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

Nama pre-sale preparations perhaps ?

Westy

foxy_19-89 wrote: »
    AFAIK, an ex petrol station site musstation left idol for a certain period of time if something other than a petrol station wishes to go in to that site. It will be nice to see the site being used finally though!

Unlikely to be the case. See Centra on Dublin Rd. Petrol station knocked and apartments replaced it in no time

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

westgolf wrote: »
    Nama pre-sale preparations perhaps ?

Westy

Don't see it on the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭emptybladder

Was sold last year for 400k IIRC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Drive Through NANDOS !!!! I wish :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Drive Through NANDOS !!!! I wish :D

Sweet gentle Jesus. How you tease...

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Gingganggooley

I asked the workmen on the site who told me it was going to be used as a car park.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I asked the workmen on the site who told me it was going to be used as a car park.
    Such initiative!
    I can't see any planning reference for the site. I'm pretty sure you need permission for a car park.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bagels

snubbleste wrote: »
    ......I'm pretty sure you need permission for a car park.

Joe O'Toole of Supervalu Tuam wouldn't agree with you.

• Advertisement

Car parking outlines have been drawn all over the site.
    Coincidentally, double yellow lines and other markings on Headford Rd have also been repainted.

Now has an entrance sign, an exit sign and a 24/7 pay and display sign(all handwritten) and what looks like a pay machine.
    What's going on? Where are planning enforcement?

There is one Pay machine. What does 'resident tariff' mean?
    dc8mjb.jpg
    2an6kk.jpg

So now the building has windows and professional signs and is advertising a daily rate of €4. Sure they are competing directly with the Council for business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

I noticed on page 10 of the Galway Independent that Cleverson Ltd has applied for retention of the car park with a decision due on September 19th.
    You can view it on the online planning system as well.
    It's temporary for 3 years pending future redevelopment of the site.

So yes you do need planning permission and no they didn't bother.

dloob wrote: »
    So yes you do need planning permission and no they didn't bother.

PP for commercial property tends to be specific (e.g. a restaurant with no take way allowed), so it'll be interesting to see what they apply for - retention or change of use. I presume that the former petrol station had PP and that change of use will be required if/when development takes place.

The poster clearly says retention. The development has already occurred.

I can't see the Council allowing this though, they've refused an adjacent car park plus it is a competitor for Council revenue.

The poster clearly says retention. The development has already occurred.

I know it says retention, but then the poster would be wrong as it clearly states that the application is for temporary permission - meaning that change of use is not required, which would be required for a normal retention request - making the whole thing less problematic for the developers.
    I can't see the Council allowing this though, they've refused an adjacent car park plus it is a competitor for Council revenue.

Given the fact that there is a major commercial pubic car park spitting distance from this I can't see that being a factor. If it's rejected it will be because it affects road safety & traffic flow.

The developer knocked the rest of the former shop leaving only a little hut now.
    Obviously done over a weekend when no enforcement officials are working dontyaknow

The car park is full every weekday so they are doing pretty well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

They got the permission for it in the end, file 13221.
    They had to appeal it to An Bord Pleanala as the council refused it, they were lucky, the appeal inspector recommended refusal too.
    It is temporary permission for two years.

• Advertisement
Advertisement