Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Area boundaries

Options
  • 05-03-2013 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know where you can find a map showing the boundaries of the different areas in Dublin? Not the postal codes but the areas, eg Drumcondra, Phibsborough

Mods, if you can think of a better forum for this, feel free to move it, thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

There aren't really any official boundaries of these areas. It's often a matter of some debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Weren't all the boundaries derived from the various parishes that were served by each church?

As BeerNut said, makes for some interesting debate at times :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Weren't all the boundaries derived from the various parishes that were served by each church?

All OSi digital maps that i have access to here have parish boundaries marked on them alright, so maybe that has something to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭littleredspot

I know that when it comes to valuing houses, people get very caught up in what the area is called, but I assume that somebody somewhere has an actual map which is recognised by most services, An Post etc.

I remember a debate a few years ago regarding a new development between Malahide and Swords. The developer was claiming Malahide but the council insisted it was Swords so they had to change their advertising.

I can't see the parish boundaries on the OSI website map Kceire, any idea where I could see the ones that you're seeing?

I assume that somebody somewhere has an actual map which is recognised by most services, An Post etc.
    No need. An Post has its numerical boundaries, the phone companies define areas by exchanges, estate agents often have a very creative approach to boundaries, and as mentioned the churches have their parish boundaries. There'll be some overlap, but none of these correspond exactly to the areas people use in everyday speech.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

As beernut said, the postal boundaries are definite, but placenames aren't. That's how estate agents become creative. Lots of Finglas and even Ballymun has become Glasnevin, Fairview has become Clontarf, Half of Blanch is now Castleknock :D
    Some OS maps have the placenames written on them, but it's pretty much a map of dublin with the text in general area, no borders at all.
    I was looking for a map of the postal district borders before (online) but had no joy.

Cienciano wrote: »
    I was looking for a map of the postal district borders before (online) but had no joy.
    Junk mail to the rescue! An Post has a very detailed map here. The areas are subdivided but if you zoom in to Dublin and mouseover the map, the postal code shows in the zone number under Zone Details.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I can't see the parish boundaries on the OSI website map Kceire, any idea where I could see the ones that you're seeing?

I have access to the whole city on digital cad files directly from OSI. So the parish boundaries are a layer within the drawing. I'm not sure if they are on the site at all tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

BeerNut wrote: »
    Junk mail to the rescue! An Post has a very detailed map here. The areas are subdivided but if you zoom in to Dublin and mouseover the map, the postal code shows in the zone number under Zone Details.
    Interesting map. I always thought my postal address was Artane, D5. Now it turns out that there is no Artane postal area but I'm really in Edenmore instead.
    Wonder if thats gonna affect my property value in the household tax scheme? :)

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭littleredspot

Thanks for all the ideas, it seems a bit mad that there isn't a definitive map. I would imagine that rural townlands are clearly marked
    BeerNut wrote: »
    No need. An Post has its numerical boundaries, the phone companies define areas by exchanges, estate agents often have a very creative approach to boundaries, and as mentioned the churches have their parish boundaries. There'll be some overlap, but none of these correspond exactly to the areas people use in everyday speech.

Unfortunately the exchange and parish name aren't necessarily related to the area name. The An Post numbering system isn't related to townland boundaries, and as you say estate agents aren't to be trusted.

kceire wrote: »
    I have access to the whole city on digital cad files directly from OSI. So the parish boundaries are a layer within the drawing. I'm not sure if they are on the site at all tbh.

I can get the parish boundaries to come up on the old maps, but they're fairly obscure.

The junk mail map gets very strange near the city center, I'm not sure how it's split up.

The area I'm particularly interested in is North Strand. It melts into East Wall and Ballybough (which is rapidly turning into "Clonliffe" itself) There's a fairly clear boundary with Fairview, the Tolka, to the North East. To the South East the D3-D1 boundary is the canal, but the North Strand name seems to occasionally cross it.

• Advertisement

You won't find a definitive answer anywhere. You're looking for something that only exists in people's heads, and which varies from head to head.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I know someone living in what was known as Finglas East. First they referred to it as Glasnevin North; now they say Glasnevin....

I always thought that when the residents of Ballymun Avenue and Ballymun Park had the names changed to Glasnevin Avenue and Park that the residents of the Ballymun flats should have insisted that their area be renamed Glasnevin Heights.

Not your ornery onager

I was amused but not really surprised to find that, until quite recently, Terenure Road West was called Kimmage Road East :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Maybe I'm missing something but I don't understand the reason for confusion. They're called POST codes. If An Post say you live in D6 then you live in D6. What the parish or estate agents may think / say is irrelevant.

Advertisement