Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

St. Andrews Street - Another planning atrocity

Options
  • 05-03-2013 11:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭

After the horrendous eye sore that is the flag pole installation outside the castle DCC thought our city doesn't look shitty enough. In their infinite wisdom decided to install collapse-able road bollards on the footpath on St. Andrew Street !!

Who in their right mind thought this was acceptable ??? The city is slowly becoming one big eyesore, what with the litter, broken and uneven footpaths, abandoned shops on main street and the rest.

When are the town planners going to be held accountable for this carry on ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

It's a busy enough street that pedestrians seem to think is pedestrianised and frequently just wander out into the path of oncoming as they cross to look into the Troc.
    They might be ugly but what ya gonna use instead?

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Well maybe if the Garda enforced the no parking rules along there they wouldn't be needed, sadly muppets park there so they are.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

They don't look great, but that section of street is a bit of a hazard. Sure if it makes things safer, I am all for it, but agree that it looks mank.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭ollaetta

They're gone!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Corkbah

if they are gone then ...is this then proof someone in DCC has wasted funds on this !!

wonder if they will be punished or if life will carry on regardless !! ...hmmmm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

ollaetta wrote: »
    They're gone!

So they were all put up one day and taken down the next? that makes no sense?

Also i don't see how this makes things safer. as a pedestrian these will not make me think any more about traffic coming down the street. Maybe it will stop people parking on the footpath(not sure if that was a big problem) and if a car did mount the footpath it would more than likely protect pedestrians(but would a car be able to go that fast on this street?)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

EyeSight wrote: »
    So they were all put up one day and taken down the next? that makes no sense?

They were not just put up yesterday, that's just when the OP posted about them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

By the looks of that photo you wouldn't have fitted a wheelchair between the bollard and the sandwich board on the footpath outside the cafe

I'd like to see the Andrews St area pedestrianised but I don't think it would be possible as it gives access to Sth William St and the back of Stephens Green. If they did pedestrianise it then it would probably increase traffic a fair bit going up by Leinster House to the Green or up Sth Great Georges St and then turning left to get to the Green further up Aungier St.

I would be in favour of putting up those electronic bollards on the roadway so it could be pedestriansed (along with all of Sth William Street) after 7pm every night but no doubt the taxi drivers would go mad about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

RATM wrote: »
    By the looks of that photo you wouldn't have fitted a wheelchair between the bollard and the sandwich board on the footpath outside the cafe

the illegal sandwichboard that is, not that DCC enforce this stuff.

As the bollards are gone maybe wecould have the disappeared granite back too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

MadsL wrote: »
    the illegal sandwichboard that is, not that DCC enforce this stuff.

As the bollards are gone maybe wecould have the disappeared granite back too.

You're right, that sandwich board is illegal. Some pubs get away with it as they put their sandwich board on a cellar hatch with is their property. But there is no cellar hatch there so then it is illegal to place it there. Even without the bollards there a wheelchair only just about has enough space to get past it. If a pedestrian passes at the same time then they'll have to step out onto the road to pass by.

Where was the granite that was removed ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

RATM wrote: »
    Where was the granite that was removed ?
    Thread here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056890303

Advertisement