Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone know a lot about cubase?

• 05-03-2013 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hi,

I'm just about to order a brand new custom built pc which i intend to use mainly for recording and mixing. Up until now i've been using a pretty crap laptop and a cracked version of cubase 5 (i know, shame on me.)

Anyway, i was never able to get any good recording done because the cracked software was never very stable so i decided to save up and get a proper setup.

I kinda know the layout of cubase so i was going to stick with it but the thing is i find mixing in the software with a mouse tedious and unfriendly...so i was wondering if someone could give me a little guidance to show me how to rout the tracks back out to my mixer so i can do a proper mixdown with the console?

I've been out of the loop for a while so i can't quite remember how to do it. :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭pinksoir

If I was you I'd try Reaper:

http://www.cockos.com/reaper/

http://forum.cockos.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20

Seriously, look into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

Hi,

I'm just about to order a brand new custom built pc which i intend to use mainly for recording and mixing. Up until now i've been using a pretty crap laptop and a cracked version of cubase 5 (i know, shame on me.)

Anyway, i was never able to get any good recording done because the cracked software was never very stable so i decided to save up and get a proper setup.

I kinda know the layout of cubase so i was going to stick with it but the thing is i find mixing in the software with a mouse tedious and unfriendly...so i was wondering if someone could give me a little guidance to show me how to rout the tracks back out to my mixer so i can do a proper mixdown with the console?

I've been out of the loop for a while so i can't quite remember how to do it. :(

outputs and routing are at the very top of the mixer. you may need to uncollapse it using the up/down arrows on the very left of mixer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭GTE

You will need an interface that can handle the outputs for multitrack mixing.

Regardless of whether you have that or not you will need to go to VST Connections from the top of the screen and then in the outputs tab select the interface outputs as individual mono outputs.

Plug those into the mixer and there you go.

I have used (extensively in bold) Cubase 2, 3, 4, 5, 6.5 and 7 all on the same 5 year old laptop (mid to high spec then) and haven't experienced reliability issues so I have a feeling the better computer set up correctly will be fine.

Reaper is good but it is by no means a good answer to the question you posed. Once you are sorted out then try out the alternative DAWs. I don't believe Cubase (even cracked) is unstable so the key is having the new computer at a low mid to mid level power level at least.

Happy recording. Cubase 7 looks very good as I am trying the trial version of that. Version 5 was a tremendous jump from version 3 and 6.5 adds some real time saving features for the editing stage at least. It has taken me this long to get into the custom key commands in the File menu and I am loving it.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 The bearded clam

bbk wrote: »
    You will need an interface that can handle the outputs for multitrack mixing.

Regardless of whether you have that or not you will need to go to VST Connections from the top of the screen and then in the outputs tab select the interface outputs as individual mono outputs.

Plug those into the mixer and there you go.

I have used (extensively in bold) Cubase 2, 3, 4, 5, 6.5 and 7 all on the same 5 year old laptop (mid to high spec then) and haven't experienced reliability issues so I have a feeling the better computer set up correctly will be fine.

Reaper is good but it is by no means a good answer to the question you posed. Once you are sorted out then try out the alternative DAWs. I don't believe Cubase (even cracked) is unstable so the key is having the new computer at a low mid to mid level power level at least.

Happy recording. Cubase 7 looks very good as I am trying the trial version of that. Version 5 was a tremendous jump from version 3 and 6.5 adds some real time saving features for the editing stage at least. It has taken me this long to get into the custom key commands in the File menu and I am loving it.

Thanks very much.

I'm using a 1640i, it has 16 in/out through firewire and the computer i have ordered will have an i7 3770k processor and 16gb of ram so i'm hoping i don't run into any problems for the next few years at least. It's a big step up from this laptop i have at the moment anyway.

You were saying reaper is good but not a good option for my requirements...just wondering what you meant?

I'm looking forward to getting back into hands on mixing with the desk. I much preferred that than mixing with software when i was in college. (I should have known how to set up the routing but it's been a long time and i've gotten a bit rusty.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭GTE

You were saying reaper is good but not a good option for my requirements...just wondering what you meant?

In the context of helping you with your routing issue in Cubase and your desk, talking about getting another DAW is pointless.

Reaper is good, great price point and looks like it works well but its a different threads discussion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 The bearded clam

bbk wrote: »
    In the context of helping you with your routing issue in Cubase and your desk, talking about getting another DAW is pointless.

Reaper is good, great price point and looks like it works well but its a different threads discussion.

Ah, yeah that makes sense.

I was looking at the price and if it's as good as i've heard i'll definately try it out if i decide to invest in a laptop for recording away from home, but for now i think i'll stick with what i know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭pinksoir

I was using Cubase (well, Nuendo) and changed to Reaper about a year or so ago. It was the easiest switch, much more so than I imagined. Plus there is a ridiculously good online community, which is why I linked to the forum.

I suggested you look into it because you mentioned you were gonna get a better set up. At $60, it's a total steal (but the evaluation period is essentially unlimited, so you can use it until you get converted and then pay) and it's as good as, if not better than, DAWs ten times its price. So your cash can be spent on better mics/interface/software/whatever.

Not that you'll need it now you've an i7 and 16Gb ram, but Reaper's extremely light on resources.

But anyway, another reason I suggested it is because the routing on Reaper is ridiculously advanced. Doing something like you want, ie. routing tracks out and into your mixer is one of the simplest things you can do with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

pinksoir wrote: »
    I was using Cubase (well, Nuendo) and changed to Reaper about a year or so ago. It was the easiest switch, much more so than I imagined. Plus there is a ridiculously good online community, which is why I linked to the forum.

I suggested you look into it because you mentioned you were gonna get a better set up. At $60, it's a total steal (but the evaluation period is essentially unlimited, so you can use it until you get converted and then pay) and it's as good as, if not better than, DAWs ten times its price. So your cash can be spent on better mics/interface/software/whatever.

Not that you'll need it now you've an i7 and 16Gb ram, but Reaper's extremely light on resources.

But anyway, another reason I suggested it is because the routing on Reaper is ridiculously advanced. Doing something like you want, ie. routing tracks out and into your mixer is one of the simplest things you can do with it.

Very impressed with how often Reaper is updated. Very regularly features are updated and bugs fixed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

i use reaper for years now , its midi can be a bit flaky sometimes , but other than that its a fantastic DAW .

really easy to use and learn on , and brilliant routing .

Advertisement