Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is better then UPC

• 05-03-2013 11:45am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 514 ✭✭✭

I have UPC 150MB Broadband
    Usually 15-20 ping 157 down 9 up

BUT
    I cant have two xbox,s online at the same tie properly
    It randomly restarts about 10 times a day
    It just generally sucks for gameing

I really think I should be able to get 5-10 ping 50 down 50 up for about 60 quid

But
    this is Ireland
    Irish ISP,s are scum

So...what can I get that will allow me to phone up UPC and say your best is not good enough your refusal to invest in decent hardware has resulted in you losing another customer.

It must have unlimited usage
    and not be like 500 quid

I tried sky but there 10 euro 8mb requires me to pay about 50 including a phoneline I dont want and the guy flat out said they have low uploads and gaming would not work well.

EDIT; Im in Dublin 9 BTW

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,619 ✭✭✭✭ted1

why can't you have t xboxes at the same time?

with regards dropping off, have you had UPC look into this?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 514 ✭✭✭RUSTEDCORE

ted1 wrote: »
    why can't you have t xboxes at the same time?

with regards dropping off, have you had UPC look into this?
    their routers cannot have two xbox,s online with both having open Nat usually 1 is open 1 is strict and the latter can barely find games or connect to parties.

Their routers all seem to restart and the higher the speeds you get the worse it seems to get.

I actually just phoned them and was told to request a replacement router for the restarting and told to phone their premium tech service ....the woman guaranteed me they would be able to get me 2 xbox,s on open NAT....apparently UPC thinks its just me with this problem but I dont think 1 upc user on this forum can get 2 on open NAT without 1 being booted offline so id be amazed if UPC know how.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,062 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I had 2 Xboxes online on the 30Mb package with no issues in my last apartment.

No issues what so ever.

So you are generalising your issue.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,329 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Nothing is the answer to your question with those requirements on the line (you'd need to look at a dedicated E1 line basically).

listermint wrote: »
    I had 2 Xboxes online on the 30Mb package with no issues in my last apartment.

No issues what so ever.

So you are generalising your issue.

probably 1 was moderate and you might not notice depending on the games you play... but its a big issue with me and the 30mb used a different router than 50-150 does

• Advertisement

Nody wrote: »
    Nothing is the answer to your question with those requirements on the line (you'd need to look at a dedicated E1 line basically).

but nody the spanish have 5 ping 150 down/up

in the uk they get 40 up with over 100 down...

why is UPC so crap... their hardware cant go over 10mb ...never will.....who the hell decided that was a good investment when it can do 4GB down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,619 ✭✭✭✭ted1

RUSTEDCORE wrote: »
    their routers cannot have two xbox,s online with both having open Nat usually 1 is open 1 is strict and the latter can barely find games or connect to parties.

Their routers all seem to restart and the higher the speeds you get the worse it seems to get.

I actually just phoned them and was told to request a replacement router for the restarting and told to phone their premium tech service ....the woman guaranteed me they would be able to get me 2 xbox,s on open NAT....apparently UPC thinks its just me with this problem but I dont think 1 upc user on this forum can get 2 on open NAT without 1 being booted offline so id be amazed if UPC know how.

Can you change the port one of the Xboxes, seems a bit odd. I reckon your missing something. are you using static or dynamic IP addressing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭sumsar

I use to work in Xbox support, definitly need to change your nat type which you can do.

http://support.xbox.com/en-IE/xbox-live/connecting/nat-type-strict

ted1 wrote: »
    Can you change the port one of the Xboxes, seems a bit odd. I reckon your missing something. are you using static or dynamic IP addressing?

Im pretty good with this stuff:cool:

its DHCP
    though I have been meaning to try the other option which is static... though I have used setups where I set the IP on the actual xbox.

DMZ-Triggering-Forwarding ...none of it works...the UPNP sucks glute

probably 1 was moderate and you might not notice depending on the games you play... but its a big issue with me and the 30mb used a different router than 50-150 does

I realise this , i now have the 50Mb line (albeit different apartment)

Only 1 xbox now.

Last place was 30Mb line different router and mixture of Halo / COD and fifa with no issues.

Why not use another router on it ?

• Advertisement

sumsar wrote: »
    I use to work in Xbox support, definitly need to change your nat type which you can do.

http://support.xbox.com/en-IE/xbox-live/connecting/nat-type-strict

with all due respect your microsoft tech support training does not qualify you to talk to me about tech.

the conversation is about enableing a Cisco epc 3925 to send/receive data from two 360,s through the same set of ports not whether i need them set to open NAT or how to set 1 to open...1 automatically goes open ...thats simple

I realise this , i now have the 50Mb line (albeit different apartment)

Only 1 xbox now.

Last place was 30Mb line different router and mixture of Halo / COD and fifa with no issues.

Why not use another router on it ?

You need a UPC router as they are setup with custom firmware ...the only other option for over 50mb is a thompson which they stopped using because of a separate tech issue and I cant find any info on whether it can do what I need but I will try it soon .

You need a UPC router as they are setup with custom firmware ...the only other option for over 50mb is a thompson which they stopped using because of a separate tech issue and I cant find any info on whether it can do what I need but I will try it soon .

Bridge it

Bridge it

Yeah ive been wanting to get a dir-655 and bridge but from forum posts from UPC users across europe It seems even with the best known router for multiple xbox 360,s it doesnt work bridged.

Im not saying this is a fact or I wont try it in the future im just saying from the few UPC users that I have read tried this it seems it has not worked for them.

Yeah ive been wanting to get a dir-655 and bridge but from forum posts from UPC users across europe It seems even with the best known router for multiple xbox 360,s it doesnt work bridged.

Im not saying this is a fact or I wont try it in the future im just saying from the few UPC users that I have read tried this it seems it has not worked for them.

Well give it a crack. Sometimes i find reading too much on forums leads to too much questions. The answers in solving it yourself sometimes.

Best of luck with it though. im sure its a head wreck.

Well give it a crack. Sometimes i find reading too much on forums leads to too much questions. The answers in solving it yourself sometimes.

Best of luck with it though. im sure its a head wreck.

problem is if I do get it to work the upc router will still restart a few times a day and may cause issues and if I dont its a waste of about 60 quid

Guy just told me how to do it :)

gotta go ebay

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

The problem is nothing else even comes close to your requirements.

In a few months time, Eircom might finally launch their new FFTC VDSL2+ products, which should support 50mb+ and decent pings, but I wouldn't hold my breath, it might not be available in your area.

Till then, there are a few things you can do to try to resolve the issue with UPC, like has been described by others. Get a new router from UPC (it might resolve the need to reboot, that certainly isn't common with UPC) and get a high end router and use it in bridged mode.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,329 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

but nody the spanish have 5 ping 150 down/up

in the uk they get 40 up with over 100 down...

why is UPC so crap... their hardware cant go over 10mb ...never will.....who the hell decided that was a good investment when it can do 4GB down
    Because they have no real competition (and hence motivation or reason) at the current speeds nor is there any noticable user demand for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭iPhone.

Guy just told me how to do it :)

gotta go ebay

Is the solution a secret then? :confused:

• Advertisement

iPhone. wrote: »
    Is the solution a secret then? :confused:

Oh right ... I should probably write a tutorial

Advertisement