Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mac spec for app dev

Options
  • 05-03-2013 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭

I've had an Apple dev account for nearly a year with the plan of making an app lol.

But i've an idea now and wanted to text myself ( i love learning new things )

I know i need a mac to develop apps/games for apple products,

What is the min spec for an App dev ? I won't be doing games just an app.

Any info on what i could buy second hand to get started would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Any Mac that's capable of running XCode will do, for example I have the basic spec 2012 Mac Mini and it runs Xcode without issue, any modern Mac book pro should also easily handle the running of Xcode if it can run the latest Mac OS.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

A second hand mac-mini is fine for a start. Make sure it's an intel processor and preferable one of the models you can upgrade to 4GB RAM.

There's a few on adverts.ie at the moment.

If you're going new, again a mic-mini from apple (or their refurb store).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭NeVeR

I never considered a mac mini until you said it.

Do it's just like a mini PC where you add monitor / mouse / keyboard.

If i was to get a second hand one what would i need ?

Is there a model i should stay away from ?

thanks.

after thinking more I think a laptop would be better for me,,

So once it's intel and can run xcode i should be fine.

Recent-ish Mac laptop would be fine, must admit though I prefer the extra screen real-estate you get from a non-laptop Mac.

At one stage I had a mic mini with a KVM switch, you would have struggled to even spot the Mac Mini. Different story now though, try and spot the PC.

• Advertisement

How recent is recent-ish :)

would 2009 ones be ok ?

I'd say anything with a dual-core processor and space for 4GB Ram should be ok to start with.

Cheers.

Thanks lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,571 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Graham wrote: »
    A second hand mac-mini is fine for a start. Make sure it's an intel processor and preferable one of the models you can upgrade to 4GB RAM.
    Mac Mini is the cheapest option, and that is all you will really need for a hack n' slash. My Mac has 2GB of RAM and it runs perfectly fine as long as you're not looking at doing graphically intensive stuff.

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

What ever Mac you get will have to run at least Lion which needs 2 gigs of RAM. I'd be wary of getting a second hand Mac that can't upgrade to Mountain Lion as Apple tends to only support 1 OS back for its dev tools.

• Advertisement

I just bought one of these from Apple.
    http://store.apple.com/ie/browse/home/shop_mac/family/macbook_pro ( €1249 one )

Should be here by Tuesday :) can't wait to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭irishdude11

NeVeR wrote: »
    I just bought one of these from Apple.
    http://store.apple.com/ie/browse/home/shop_mac/family/macbook_pro ( €1249 one )

Should be here by Tuesday :) can't wait to get it.

€1249 for a 4GB of RAM and a 13" screen!!! :eek:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I have a fairly old macbook white that runs xcode fine. I had to update my OS for it though.

Advertisement