Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheltenham weather

Options
  • 05-03-2013 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Hi guys

Any ideas on the weather for cheltenham next week Tuesday 12th to Friday 15th?
    MT suggests a cold spell next week so alarm bells are ringing!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Hi guys

Any ideas on the weather for cheltenham next week Tuesday 12th to Friday 15th?
    MT suggests a cold spell next week so alarm bells are ringing!

Models suggest a cold spell but it's to far out to be sure as its still a week away.

Cheltenham are overdue a "White" fesitval though :D was it 1978 the gold cup was postponed to April? There was snow the week Desert Orchid one in 89 as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

I'm absolutely shitting my pants, I'm all for snow all winter but please god not in march. I hope to god the UK misses out big time with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,189 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I'm all for FI being beyond 72 hrs this year as well, however the convergence of resolution would indicate a disruptive cold spell in the UK and Ireland from Sunday next 10th March, for anything up to 7-10 days.

The concentration and depth of this spell will of course vary, and predominate in eastern and northern areas, but the difference is going to be the wind, which will be much more significant than the impotent spells (Ireland) of cold we saw since Christmas.

The UK has already had some decent cold and snow in mid-January, but next week could well trump that, and realistically the Cheltenham Festival is at 60-70% chance of severe disruption and cancellation due to any combination of frozen ground, low ambient temps, lying snow, public access / safety considerations.

Is the festival not kinda early this year??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Larbre34 wrote: »

No, same week every year

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Larbre34 wrote: »
    I'm all for FI being beyond 72 hrs this year as well, however the convergence of resolution would indicate a disruptive cold spell in the UK and Ireland from Sunday next 10th March, for anything up to 7-10 days.

The concentration and depth of this spell will of course vary, and predominate in eastern and northern areas, but the difference is going to be the wind, which will be much more significant than the impotent spells (Ireland) of cold we saw since Christmas.

The UK has already had some decent cold and snow in mid-January, but next week could well trump that, and realistically the Cheltenham Festival is at 60-70% chance of severe disruption and cancellation due to any combination of frozen ground, low ambient temps, lying snow, public access / safety considerations.

Frozen ground won't be a problem they will have the covers on the whole track

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

When's it start?(not a gambler or a racer)
    present indications suggest monday tuesday and wenesday there could be sub zero all day.
    Snow showers are possible but hard to tell if frequent,probably not but every flake will stick.

The flow has several hundred miles of a dry land track en route to the race course,so if any of the plentifull showers further east break through,they will be a lot weaker.

Much bigger risk of snow in Dublin,because the flow goes over the sea to reach there,put it to you that way.

The frost will persist all day so that is the biggest risk.If the daily max temp is below zero,then the cover will be no use as if you take it up in the daytime,the ground will still freeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

whitebriar wrote: »
    When's it start?(not a gambler or a racer)
    present indications suggest monday tuesday and wenesday there could be sub zero all day.
    Snow showers are possible but hard to tell if frequent,probably not but every flake will stick.

The flow has several hundred miles of a dry land track en route to the race course,so if any of the plentifull showers further east break through,they will be a lot weaker.

Much bigger risk of snow in Dublin,because the flow goes over the sea to reach there,put it to you that way.

The frost will persist all day so that is the biggest risk.If the daily max temp is below zero,then the cover will be no use as if you take it up in the daytime,the ground will still freeze.

Starts Tuesday afternoon, they would have an inspection early Tuesday morning. As you say frost covers would be no use in cold like that I fear. I'm quietly confident of it going ahead this morning though the models don't seem as harsh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Ian fergusson was saying that Cheltenham is at a serious risk of falling due to severe persistent frost.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Cheltenham Racecourse tweeted last night that there was a few cold nights on the way, but there was no threat to Racing :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,987 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

but there was no threat to Racing :)

They would say that. :rolleyes: Nobody knows.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Ridiculous tweet just to keep the Cheltenham masses happy and not change plans. The threat is there simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I would not rule out snow anywhere in the U.K. or Ireland given the strong cold advection and the strong northeast wind gradient, although Cheltenham might only see 1-3 cm at most (on Sunday night most likely). But frost will be severe alright, and also there's the travel disruption factor as I imagine the event draws in people from all over the place. No real idea whether they would hold or cancel the event but it will be affected for certain. You could always visit my childhood home in the west Midlands as a rather shabby alternative, just turn left at the lights and keep going.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭mike2084

I would expect them to move heaven and earth to get it on, the lost revenue from a cancelled or even re-scheduled festival would be enormous.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Tuesday looks the day in danger, think they will get thing sorted by Wednesday and won't be a disaster pushing the 6 races from Tuesday across the other 3 days

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭kingshankly

The worst that will happen is the cross country race might be canceled as the wont have cover down on that section apart from that there won't be a problem unless severe snow becomes a health and safety issue

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

This man will have a good idea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/other/2013/0308/1224330930876.html

Somebody getting worried about the weather for Cheltenham.

"We are covering both the Old course and the New course plus vulnerable areas of the cross country course which will be used on Tuesday.Daytime temperatures are forecast to be well above freezing all week so we
    remain pretty confident racing will go ahead as planned, but given the importance of the meeting, we want to take the maximum amount of precautions."

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭mike2084

Advertisement