Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formatted drive not showing full size

Options
  • 05-03-2013 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭

I formatted a 64gb flash drive, but after its only showing as 6mb.
    Any ideas?
    Is it toast?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Gotham

Is it new?
    If so, then you might be looking at the EFI partition. Inside that partition is supposed to be an application that "unlocks" the other partition.
    This is common on U3 devices.

To get rid of all partitions, download LLF and use it. Carefully! (The free version is good enough)

http://hddguru.com/software/HDD-LLF-Low-Level-Format-Tool/

And when I say carefully, make sure you have the correct drive selected. Triple Check.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

I formatted a 64gb flash drive, but after its only showing as 6mb.
    Any ideas?
    Is it toast?

Run Check Flash to find out ... maybe you got scammed.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,320 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Where did you buy it, wouldn't be the first time I've heard of this kind of bait and switch, especially from third party online sales (Amazon marketplace, eBay, etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

sorry. Should have said. I've had the drive for a while. Been using it in the tv as a recorder, but needed it for the laptop today. Thought it might be something to do with using it in the tv, but I've Googled and theres nothing coming up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

GO to Startmenu, CONTROL Panel,management,storage,
    see does it show,2 partitions,
    partition 2,62- or 63 meg maybe unformatted.
    it,ll show up,as drive, e, f,or g,
    d is dvrom drive.
    c= pc drive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Try USBFormat. That should delete any hidden partitions that may have been created by other tools.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Thanks for the replies.
    Funny thing. I stuck it back in the tv last night. You have to "register" the drive with the tv and it showed up as 64 gigs and recorded fine for several hours. Its obviously some Sony software thats making a mess of it, when away from the tv.
    I'll try your ideas lads when I pop it out next.
    Thanks

Advertisement