Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commuting from Limerick.

• 05-03-2013 2:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I'm going to be working in Shannon for five months this summer as an intern and I have been told that all of the interns would be living in Limerick city so basically living in Shannon would be very boring.

Does anyone here commute from Limerick by bus? Could you just tell me what are the monthly costs and if BE even do a monthly ticket? I find their website extremely confusing with conflicting information everywhere! :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

You should be entitled to a taxsaver ticket. http://www.taxsaver.ie/Ticket-Calculator/Bus-Eireann-Point-to-Point/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭barry181091

testicle wrote: »

Thanks for that. It would seem to work out to 122 a month, not too bad if a cheap house could be found in Limerick :D Do you know how one goes about getting the tax saver tickets? I assume I would of had to start work first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

You'd need to be a tax paying employee to avail of Taxsaver tickets which are purchased by the employer.

If you are between the relevant ages, you might be able to avail of the fare reduction for apprentices between ages of 16 and 23 if your employer explains about your internship and signs the application.

Student 10 Journey Weekly Tickets
    Student 10 Journey Weekly Tickets are issued to students aged 16 years and over on production of valid Bus Éireann Record Card or current International Student Identity Card (ISIC) or valid Student Identity Card issued by a recognised third-level College in the Republic of Ireland. A full list of colleges are available whose Student Identity Cards will be recognised by Bus Éireann for entitlement to student fares. Apprentices over 16 and under 23 years of age may be issued with Student 10 Journey Weekly Tickets on production of valid Bus Éireann Record Card.
    Bus Éireann Record Cards are issued at Bus Éireann Area Offices and Travel Centres on completion of Record Card Application Form, which must be stamped by the school/college/employer and supported by sight of Applicant's Birth Certificate.
    http://www.buseireann.ie/inner.php?id=237

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

Hey guys,

I'm going to be working in Shannon for five months this summer as an intern and I have been told that all of the interns would be living in Limerick city so basically living in Shannon would be very boring.

Does anyone here commute from Limerick by bus? Could you just tell me what are the monthly costs and if BE even do a monthly ticket? I find their website extremely confusing with conflicting information everywhere! :mad:

Every time I try to use their site, I SWEAR that this time, I will remain calm. It never la--WHO THE F%CK DESIGNED THIS CLUSTERF%CK OF A F%CKING WEBSITE PIECE OF F%CKING AAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Balagan wrote: »
    You'd need to be a tax paying employee to avail of Taxsaver tickets which are purchased by the employer.

If you are between the relevant ages, you might be able to avail of the fare reduction for apprentices between ages of 16 and 23 if your employer explains about your internship and signs the application.

Student 10 Journey Weekly Tickets
    Student 10 Journey Weekly Tickets are issued to students aged 16 years and over on production of valid Bus Éireann Record Card or current International Student Identity Card (ISIC) or valid Student Identity Card issued by a recognised third-level College in the Republic of Ireland. A full list of colleges are available whose Student Identity Cards will be recognised by Bus Éireann for entitlement to student fares. Apprentices over 16 and under 23 years of age may be issued with Student 10 Journey Weekly Tickets on production of valid Bus Éireann Record Card.
    Bus Éireann Record Cards are issued at Bus Éireann Area Offices and Travel Centres on completion of Record Card Application Form, which must be stamped by the school/college/employer and supported by sight of Applicant's Birth Certificate.
    http://www.buseireann.ie/inner.php?id=237

Thanks for that. I am a student so would avail of this. A 10 journey ticket, is that return or single journey? This was what I tried to find out. If it was return, then its very good value!

EDIT: They are single tickets. So basically 5 working day ticket. At 35 ish euro for this ticket, basically the same as the monthly taxsaver but more limited

• Advertisement

Lucena wrote: »
    Every time I try to use their site, I SWEAR that this time, I will remain calm. It never la--WHO THE F%CK DESIGNED THIS CLUSTERF%CK OF A F%CKING WEBSITE PIECE OF F%CKING AAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's so bad just so bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

Thanks for that. I am a student so would avail of this. A 10 journey ticket, is that return or single journey? This was what I tried to find out. If it was return, then its very good value!

EDIT: They are single tickets. So basically 5 working day ticket. At 35 ish euro for this ticket, basically the same as the monthly taxsaver but more limited

Might be worth phoning Limerick bus station to get details/confirmation of this offer

Limerick Commuter Tickets issued in Limerick are valid on Limerick City Bus Services only. Special Weekly Tickets are also issued for travel on services to and from Shannon Airport. These are valid for one journey each way daily for five or six days as indicated on ticket.

Weekly City Ticket €19.00 Adult, €17.30 Student
    Monthly City Ticket €61.50 Adult, €52.50 Student

http://www.buseireann.ie/inner.php?id=331#Limerick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

I look forward to the day Bus Eireann put their schedules in something other than pdf so you can look at them on a phone.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

By definition a pdf should be viewable on anything, if you don't have a program to open it it should be easy to find 1

Advertisement