Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Group Messaging App

• 05-03-2013 2:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭

can anyone recommend a group messaging app that is simple to use and free? i don't need any advanced features, just the ability to create a group and send text messages regularly?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 324 ✭✭iPaddyM

Whatsapp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

I would also recommend Whatsapp, you can create a groups and send messages including pics and videos to the whole group or just to individual person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭ablelocks

doesn't the recipient need to have whatsapp installed too?

this is for sending text messages about training for kids to the parents, and notifications of blitzes etc. The easier this is, the easier my life will be so I would prefer a straightforward app that allows me to send a normal SMS to their phones. I don't want to ask them to install an app and a lot of them don't have a smartphone anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

ablelocks wrote: »

this is for sending text messages about training for kids to the parents, and notifications of blitzes etc. The easier this is, the easier my life will be so I would prefer a straightforward app that allows me to send a normal SMS to their phones. I don't want to ask them to install an app and a lot of them don't have a smartphone anyway.

What about using your free webtext with you provider? Or get a new number PAYG and use the webtext, that way you can separate your own number with the other.

Not free but I also heard other people talking about My-Cool-SMS.com looking at the website you can go PAYG with €10 you can send txt to Ireland for about 6cent per text. Not sure if they can reply back to you or you configure to use your own mobile number as the sender.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 324 ✭✭iPaddyM

Ask the parents! If you ask the parents if they have the apps or not, go from there.

Viber is another app that does group message sending.

• Advertisement

Afaik I don't have access to a webtext service but I don't need it as I have unlimited texts so it's not an issue and i don't need to get another number.

Like i said, a lot of the parents don't have smartphones so that rules out the likes of viber and whatsapp.

there must be a simple app that will just send an sms to multiple recipients.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

can anyone recommend a group messaging app that is simple to use and free? i don't need any advanced features, just the ability to create a group and send text messages regularly?

thanks

I'm sorry but why would you need an app for that? You just create a text to multiple recipients. Standard feature in your apple msg app. Also automatically sends it as an iMessage to contacts who have this (but as text to the ones who don't).
    The group will stay in your history so you'll only have to create it once. You can add contacts from your contact list or just manually enter the numbers...

flyguy wrote: »
    I'm sorry but why would you need an app for that? You just create a text to multiple recipients. Standard feature in your apple msg app. Also automatically sends it as an iMessage to contacts who have this (but as text to the ones who don't).
    The group will stay in your history so you'll only have to create it once. You can add contacts from your contact list or just manually enter the numbers...

there's a min of 70 people on the distribution list - afaik you can only have 30 contacts as recipients on one text message. That option also leaves open the possibility of multiple reply alls to texts. There may be sub-groups within the group that i need to send different texts to. I'd prefer to have the groups and sub-groups set up once so that all i have to do is select group / select or type message / send, without having to add or subtract contacts from a previous text.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

there's a min of 70 people on the distribution list - afaik you can only have 30 contacts as recipients on one text message.

An didn't know that (about the limit) see why you need an app now. Sorry cant help you there...

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭brian2614

Try this from the App Store

groups: sms, mail and manage contacts

I use the whole time with my unlimited txt and its free :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Qwerty Dub

thanks

Here you go. This is what you are looking for.

You can set up groups and set up Templates so you wont have to write the same text twice.

This is paid version with full features. There is a free version too.

Should cater for all your needs:

https://itunes.apple.com/ie/app/group-text!/id377826584?mt=8

cheers - both those look good, I'll go with the free "groups" one first and see how i get on. one disadvantage is that the recipients will see all recipients on the text.

And maybe I'm missing something, but on a group text, there doesn't seem to be an option to reply to sender only - replies automatically go to all (on an iphone, maybe it's different on other types of phone? )

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Qwerty Dub

And maybe I'm missing something, but on a group text, there doesn't seem to be an option to reply to sender only - replies automatically go to all (on an iphone, maybe it's different on other types of phone? )

Does that not only happen on iMessage (Blue Messages)? Didn't think that was the case when sending normal sms (Green Messages).

Advertisement