Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Traces of faeces in Ikea desserts

• 05-03-2013 3:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭

The Shanghai Daily is reporting that traces of faecal bacteria have been found in Ikea chocolate desserts, imported to China from Sweden.

Faecal bacteria found in Ikea chocolate cakes

Don't know if this will turn into a big thing as well but it certainly looks like a real case of having your cake and eating it. A second time.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

What a load of horse sh1t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Pilotdude5

There's probably traces of faecal bacteria on everything you eat. And touch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Pilotdude5 wrote: »

Yeah I'd say that's true.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

I thought that said faces, was hoping for some eerie pictures

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

****e = dark chocolate = IKEA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Franticfrank

Human intestinal waste?? I could understand if a rat or something else contaminated a shipment but I just can't imagine Swedish bakers sh*tting all over the cake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I always said IKEA food was a load of ****e

Ba dum dum tsssh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

This thing of outsourcing everything to an ever smaller group of suppliers is coming home to roost. How many other products from this supplier are contaminated? Theres a sh1tstorm on the way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Bollox there is. Hands get washed dried and anti-bacterial (alcohol ) rub is used to sterilise hands in all? food factories over here.

People get sacked for this kind of thing. Companies go to the wall if they get caught out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

News flash, there's poo on your toothbrush!

http://dsc.discovery.com/tv-shows/mythbusters/videos/surprise-toothbrush-minimyth.htm

Whether or not these 'high levels' go above the standard has yet to be established.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,605 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

So basically you have to build your own dessert? Eat food, poo it out, stick it on a cone?

Only IKEA would think of that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

That phrase having your cake and eating it doesn't make sense, should be have eaten your cake and still have it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

There are traces of every thing in everything, the smaller you look the more you find, your food like everything has radiation nevermind poo partials. Call me if there is more than 0.00000001% poo and ill care. Seriously, contamination in a food factory can be from a farmer spreading slurry miles away and a million other ways

phasers wrote: »
    I always said IKEA food was a load of ****e

Ba dum dum tsssh
    This is underappreciated.

I read somewhere that there are an average of 14 different people's urine in the average bar counter's bowl of peanuts.

Ikea's meatballs are made from pork and beef (and probably faeces), which should be enough to put any right thinking person off any of their food anyway. :)

Candie wrote: »
    This is underappreciated.

I read somewhere that there are an average of 14 different people's urine in the average bar counter's bowl of peanuts.

Ikea's meatballs are made from pork and beef (and faeces), which should be enough to put any right thinking person off anyway. :)

Never been in a pub in Ireland with free peanuts and if there are, no suprise you'd have urine in them as most blokes don't wash their hands.

Why were they testing for poopy? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

squod wrote: »
    Bollox there is. Hands get washed dried and anti-bacterial (alcohol ) rub is used to sterilise hands in all? food factories over here.

People get sacked for this kind of thing. Companies go to the wall if they get caught out.

Unfortunately it is not in other countries where it is cheaper to produce goods.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

That's probably because of the sh1t they found in ice cream here years ago.

Ush1 wrote: »
    Never been in a pub in Ireland with free peanuts and if there are, no suprise you'd have urine in them as most blokes don't wash their hands.

Every bar in the US and most in continental Europe have them. You have been warned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

I wonder if the person in the lab had just went to the toilet before doing the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭stevedublin

Ravelleman wrote: »
    it certainly looks like a real case of having your cake and eating it. A second time.

Hehe, brilliant!

Every bar in the US and most in continental Europe have them. You have been warned.

Customer:These are lovely salted peanuts.

Barman:They aren't salted.

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

There is faecal coliform bacteria everywhere. It's in the air your breathing, it's on your hands and clothes and desk. It gets aeresolised when the toilet is flushed, and then wafts around on air currents.

It's grand though. Like I said, it's everywhere and 99.999999999999% of the time it does no harm at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Melion wrote: »
    I thought that said faces, was hoping for some eerie pictures

Yup, me too! thought it read faces in the chocolate desert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,216 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Really gives new meaning to buy this affordable Swedish crap.;)

kylith wrote: »
    There is faecal coliform bacteria everywhere. It's in the air your breathing, it's on your hands and clothes and desk. It gets aeresolised when the toilet is flushed, and then wafts around on air currents.

It's grand though. Like I said, it's everywhere and 99.999999999999% of the time it does no harm at all.

People leave their toothbrushes in the bathroom without a second thought, and its covered in spores every time you put it in your mouth. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Traces of organic matter found in organic matter SHOCKER!!

My sh1t tastes of chocolate :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭akura

Them Swedish bakers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭Seedy Arling

It would make you wonder what sort of crap they are putting in food these days...

People leave their toothbrushes in the bathroom without a second thought, and its covered in spores every time you put it in your mouth. :(

It wouldn't matter too much more if you kept it in a cupboard in the kitchen. Unless you're sterilising it your toothbrush is probably one of the mankiest, most bacteria laden, things in your house.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

The Shanghai Daily is reporting that traces of faecal bacteria have been found in Ikea chocolate desserts, imported to China from Sweden.

Faecal bacteria found in Ikea chocolate cakes

Don't know if this will turn into a big thing as well but it certainly looks like a real case of having your cake and eating it. A second time.

Oh sh*t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Even in your own sh*te, think about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭SoulTrader

This puts me right off going to a furniture store for lunch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭AEDIC

That phrase having your cake and eating it doesn't make sense, should be have eaten your cake and still have it.

I always imagined this saying was about getting everything your own way...so you have your cake...and you actually get to eat it as well.... lucky sod.

So in that example (if its true) then it would make perfect sense. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Plop tarts anybody?

/gets coat

AEDIC wrote: »
    I always imagined this saying was about getting everything your own way...so you have your cake...and you actually get to eat it as well.... lucky sod.

So in that example (if its true) then it would make perfect sense. :o

It's been explained to me as you can't 'have' your cake (meaning to eat it), and still have it to eat it.

The whole phrase is backward though, it should be 'You can't eat your cake, and have it'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

kylith wrote: »
    It's been explained to me as you can't 'have' your cake (meaning to eat it), and still have it to eat it.

The whole phrase is backward though, it should be 'You can't eat your cake, and have it'.

Adding 'still' in there, for me, would be the crucial change needed to clear it all up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Ikea officials have since pointed that the bacteria was not healthy

"We now know that it’s a coliform bacteria that’s not dangerous to people’s health, not as with E. Coli or anything similar," Sara Paulsson of Ikea told the TT news agency.

"But we’ll never know exactly which bacteria it is because the cakes have been destroyed."
    I'm confused.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭ArtyM

The s**t just hit the flan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭DeadParrot

pieces of faeces is fun to say.
    Just thought I'd share that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Human intestinal waste?? I could understand if a rat or something else contaminated
    It never said it was confirmed human.
    I didn't say people in the factories were crapping on cakes, or it came from their hands. The ingredients can be contaminated before getting to the factory, a program was on saying the leave some sun dried bananas out in the open with rats & birds about.
    Tip of the day -do not piss on your hands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

It reduces contamination to acceptable levels. Antibacterials will get kill over 99% of pretty much everything on your hands. Given that millions of bacteria will cover your hands alone at a given time, that means you'll never get them all. Not to mention the millions on your face, arms, hair, in your mouth... And of course bacteria are good at adapting and surviving. Even massive doses of radiation won't guarantee you got them all.

Sterility is an unattainable ideal. Best we can do is aim for a really low probability of a viable bacterium existing in something, be that a cake or a medical device like a catheter, drip solution, or hip replacement. 1 viable cell in a million tins of beans is doing really quite well, or maybe ten million for sensitive medical goods. That's small comfort to the patient who gets terribly ill from the ten millionth saline pack hooked up to their arm, but in the grand scheme of things a very acceptable loss.

This is why documentation is important. If everyone followed the procedures to the letter, then nobody's to blame. If a problem was identified, then maybe someone was at fault. Or maybe the procedures aren't tight enough.

This is hardly a case of someone taking a dump in the cake mix. No need for anyone to overreact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭kingtut

Most prawns come with the faeces still present (black line running along it), especially in supermarkets and in some restaurants !!

Yet most people either don't realise or happily eat it anyway. :eek:

rubadub wrote: »
    Tip of the day -do not piss on your hands.

Or on bowls of peanuts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Chemical Burn

It certainly looks like a real case of having your cake and eating it. A second time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Huge disconnect between producers and end users is getting huger and more disconnected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

Sh1tty furniture and sh1tty food. That's some business model.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

• Advertisement
Advertisement