Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Problem with knotty hair!

• 05-03-2013 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

I have quite long thick hair and recently ive been really noticing a problem when I leave my hair loose and straightened that it gets very knotty, especially on the inner layers around the back of my neck! can anyone recommend a good serum or spray to use to help unknot it and prevent me damaging the hair?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I can't really recommend any product but I have similar kind of hair and I find the Tangle Teezer brush invaluable. It gets those kind of knots out quickly and painlessly in a minute without breaking your hair. I've found giving it the occasional quick brush through during the day takes care of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

I can't really recommend any product but I have similar kind of hair and I find the Tangle Teezer brush invaluable. It gets those kind of knots out quickly and painlessly in a minute without breaking your hair. I've found giving it the occasional quick brush through during the day takes care of them.

I second this. I have the thickest knottiest waist length hair and it can take up to 20 mins to comb thru when it's wet.
    Got a tangle teezer on hairdresser rec on Sat. Problem SOLVED! :)
    Don't know how it works as its fairly unremarkable looking but it DOES work!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

My hair is crazy long and can get tangled in even the snag-free elastics.
    Was given a tangle teezer for Christmas to stop me complaining and it's a lifesaver! Can't rate them highly enough!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭gillapino

I shall be investing in a tangle teaser ASAP!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭willow tree

The tangle teezer is da bomb. I also love mane & tail detangler spray..I have long straight hair & it makes my hair look shiny & so easy to brush after. It's amazing. I brush cosmecology conditioner through my hair when wet which helps keep my hair so soft. The joys of long hair!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

Can you get the tangle teezer in Boots? It sounds like something I should buy!

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭quinevere

the tangle teaser is the best you can ge it in mc cabes pharmacy and the mane and tail detangler is good for curly hair or for the day after you have curled your hair!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

I have quite long thick hair and recently ive been really noticing a problem when I leave my hair loose and straightened that it gets very knotty, especially on the inner layers around the back of my neck! can anyone recommend a good serum or spray to use to help unknot it and prevent me damaging the hair?

It sounds like your hair might have gotten quite dry? And possibly with split ends? If this is the case then a good trim would solve the issue. Otherwise try Moroccon Oil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭vibrantblue

Tangle Teaser is the way to go. I don't know how I lived without it. I got thick, long, dry and damaged hair and it's the only thing that untangles it without damaging.

I also agree with the Galwaygirlee. You may want to try using a hair oil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

It sounds like your hair might have gotten quite dry? And possibly with split ends? If this is the case then a good trim would solve the issue. Otherwise try Moroccon Oil.

I have long-ish curly hair and it gets unbearably tangled when it's in need of a trim. Taking the dead ends off really sorts out the knots.

Also, I've been using L'Oreal Extraordinary Oil on the ends of my hair and it's made my hair quite smooth and easier to brush too :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 oopsiedaisy

Thanks for all the suggestions guys! Bought a tangle teaser yesterday, thankfully havent had a chance to try it out properly yet though! I do need a trim too so hopefully that'll help aswell.

BTW, you can buy the tangle teezer in Boots - i think it was 15.99 or something like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

My hair is quite thin but it still gets so knotted :( It probably is a bit dry except for my roots which are exceptionally oily, so I wash nearly every day (vicious circle!!) I use the Kerastase Elixir Ultime oil and I have noticed an improvement in the condition but it's still really knotty, same as the OP, mainly around the back inner layers. I wear it both curly and wavy, so obviously it will go knotty easily enough, but even on the days when I have it dead straight it gets knotty too and my hair just looks unkempt. I know I am long overdue a trim, I hope that helps. I've been putting off getting one as I want to let it grow!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

My hair is quite thin but it still gets so knotted :( It probably is a bit dry except for my roots which are exceptionally oily, so I wash nearly every day (vicious circle!!)

Kind of off-topic, but I have the exact same hair type as you. After Christmas, I decided that I was only going to wash it every 3 days. I started off needing dry shampoo on Day 2 and tying it up on day 3. Within a few weeks, I could get away with just using dry shampoo on day 3, and now I'm pretty sure I could leave it for 4 days if I wanted (except that's a bit gross, because hair gets dirty from more than just grease).

I didn't believe I'd ever get away with washing my hair this little, but it was a really quick change. You can break the cycle if you like :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaliforniaDream

I find my hair goes like this when the ends are getting dry.
    If you need a trim then definitely get it as soon as possible to prevent split ends or damage further up the hair.

I absolutely love Umberto Giannini deep conditioning mask and their leave-in conditioner.

These were my life savers when a hairdresser fried the ends of my hair. It was snapping off at the ends it was so bad and a weekend of using these products repaired most of the damage.
    I stocked up when I was home recently as I haven't found them in the US. They're 2 for 11Euro in Boots right now.

I have the tangle teaser as well and think it's amazing.

Faith wrote: »

Kind of off-topic, but I have the exact same hair type as you. After Christmas, I decided that I was only going to wash it every 3 days. I started off needing dry shampoo on Day 2 and tying it up on day 3. Within a few weeks, I could get away with just using dry shampoo on day 3, and now I'm pretty sure I could leave it for 4 days if I wanted (except that's a bit gross, because hair gets dirty from more than just grease).

I didn't believe I'd ever get away with washing my hair this little, but it was a really quick change. You can break the cycle if you like :).

I'm always saying I'll try it but then I give up after a couple of days!! Maybe I'll give it another shot though. I wouldn't even be able to wear my hair down on day 2 though, even with dry shampoo, it would just feel so lank. But I could tie it up on days two and three. Would having product in it effect the process do you think? Because on day 3 I'd tie it back in a tight ponytail with hairspray to hide the grease :o

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I'm always saying I'll try it but then I give up after a couple of days!! Maybe I'll give it another shot though. I wouldn't even be able to wear my hair down on day 2 though, even with dry shampoo, it would just feel so lank. But I could tie it up on days two and three. Would having product in it effect the process do you think? Because on day 3 I'd tie it back in a tight ponytail with hairspray to hide the grease :o

The only effect of product that I found was putting it on on day 1 meant my hair looked manky by day 2. I tried putting in mousse to give my hair body, but I had to wash my fringe on day 2 because it looked awful. I don't generally use any product at all, but I doubt it would slow down your hair adjusting to not being washed so often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

I'd say it might be easier to start washing every second day first rather than going from every day to every 3 days!

I have the exact same problem with knots in my hair, it's so annoying >.< Going to definitely invest in a tangle teezer I think. And probably a trim too, but need to save up for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Ah yes, the "dreadlock" at the nape of the neck. I always get this if I've had my hair down for the entire day.

I have a wide-toothed Denman brush that I use to tease it out. The most important thing about brushing out knotty hair, regardless of what kind of brush you're using, is to brush from the bottom up, in small sections. If you brush from the root down you're just pushing all the knots into one big Gordian mofo at the bottom, which will wreck your hair by the time you get it out.

Seren_ wrote: »
    I'd say it might be easier to start washing every second day first rather than going from every day to every 3 days!

I have the exact same problem with knots in my hair, it's so annoying >.< Going to definitely invest in a tangle teezer I think. And probably a trim too, but need to save up for that.

I got a Tangle Teezer at the weekend, spotted one in my local pharmacy for €10 :) Finding it really good so far. No painful tugging at the hair! I've started just trying to wash it every second day for the most part, but it can be difficult since I go swimming a few times a week and then I'll always wash it if I'm heading out after work to meet someone, or something like that. But I'll try my best to stick to it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭gillapino

I also got a tangle teaser at the weekend and i can notice such a difference already! Its amazing ! Hair is so easy to brush out and stays knot free for longer! Delighted!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Dark Phoenix

they are brilliant I have no idea how or why they work but was stunned at the result when I used one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭Belle Morte

Another vote for the Tangle Teezer here! I always use mine straight after washing my hair and it leaves my hair straight and tangle free for the whole day.

Wish they'd make one withba handle though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nursemar88

Another vote for the Tangle Teezer here! I always use mine straight after washing my hair and it leaves my hair straight and tangle free for the whole day.

They have ones with handles I believe. I thought I saw one in my local salon services place when I picked my one up. Also guys just a note it is cheaper to get them in a salon services type place. Got mine for €12 inc tax. And its freaking awesome! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nursemar88

They have ones with handles I believe. I thought I saw one in my local salon services place when I picked my one up.

Also guys just a note it is cheaper to get them in a salon services type place. Got mine for €12 inc tax. And its freaking awesome! :D

Advertisement