Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Database

Options
  • 05-03-2013 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

I am looking for a little bit of advice on where to start...

I have numerous excel workbooks with different information. For example, I have mailing list, events calender, log of customer, orders etc. I want to somehow get these into a database and have them linked so as to avoid duplication.

Can anyone give me advice on where I might possibly begin with a task like this or where I could get a database developed for me.

Any inputs much appreciated.

All the best.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

There are a few options out there.

For example - one you can easily do yourself is to use another MS product called Access. Might seem a bit much at first but play with it and away you go. Just like with excel though, make backups or store it on a server that has a backup schedule.

or

totally externally - get one developed on something like a webservice - problem here is ongoing maintenance, updates etc - what do you do if you want a new column added or some new detail.

or

Buy in a product - like Sales Force - cloud based - either you can host it or they will. You can grant others access. Might be a bit overkill for what you describe hence it is just an example of what is out there. There is a range of tools for this type of thing - eg Oracle. It all comes down to cost though and applying regular updates / support...

Advertisement