Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pan st1100 not starting

• 05-03-2013 3:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I left my bike out in cold weather for 6 months without fuel preservative (bad idea).

Long story short, first time it took 20 mins of trying to choke and start to get the bike running, when i did it sounded off and it spluttered when driving, I changed the spark plugs, and the had oil on the threads, put more oil in engine, after replacing plugs, bike was alot better but loads of smoke being let off.

I turned bike off over night and in morning bike wouldnt start at all after 20 mins drivign the previous day.

I took out the spark plugs again, and saw their was oill on the threads again, and kept tryign start the bike but eventually went dead.

Any ideas, i was thinking i shoudl try draining the fuel tank and carburetor next? Any suggestions, diagnosis?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Oil on the threads? Are the plugs properly tightened? What colour are the plugs after the bike is running?

I'd change the plugs and the petrol and try again, drain the carbs and check the airbox for dead badgers.

'c

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Galway K9 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Long story short, first time it took 20 mins of trying to choke and start to get the bike running, when i did it sounded off and it spluttered when driving, I changed the spark plugs, and the had oil on the threads, put more oil in engine, after replacing plugs, bike was alot better but loads of smoke being let off.

Why did you put oil into the engine?
    Was it low or did you think it needed it?
    How is the oil level now?
    Overfilling the engine with oil is a bad thing to do, it could blow seals and become very costly.
    Overfilling can also cause plug fouling as the excess oil burns off in the cylinder.

I would say that you need to strip and clean the carbs, they will be blocked with gunge left from the petrol evaporating.
    Did you drain and refill with fresh petrol or are you running on the old stuff?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Overfilling the engine with oil is a bad thing to do, it could blow seals and become very costly.
    Overfilling can also cause plug fouling as the excess oil burns off in the cylinder.

I would say that you need to strip and clean the carbs, they will be blocked with gunge left from the petrol evaporating.

Ok oil is at a good level now. I have changed all spark plugs, they are black with oil and perfect on the head connected to the coil.

I still need to drain the carbs and check for dead badgers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

CJhaughey wrote: »

No I just Put in 10 euro petrol and tried starting it without draining etc....Im going to go throught eh drain process this week, drain tank, carbs, clean air filter, new petrol, clean sparks and try again

Advertisement