Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bray Main Street enhancements

• 05-03-2013 4:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,108 ✭✭✭✭

News from BTC

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bray-Town-Council/454388971249338
    Bray’s Main Street is to get a massive €1.1m facelift this spring, Bray Town Council announced on Tuesday, February 23.
    The ambitious scheme, which will cover the area along the Main Street from the Quinsboro Road to Bray’s Civic Centre is being funded by the National Transport Authority (NTA).

“This project has been a long time in the waiting it represents a positive approach addressing the short comings of Bray Main Street for pedestrians and retailers,” said Roads Technician Dominic Gillan of Bray Town Council. “The objective is to create a positive welcoming environment for Town Centre activity.”

In the first works of its kind since 1992, new granite footpaths will be laid on both the east and west sides of the street with a new cycle lane also being added on the east side going up-hill towards the Vevay Road.

Footpaths will be widened to give a 3 metre width on both side of the road. A pedestrian crossing will also be installed at the junction of the Civic Centre and the Main Street.

“This represents a rare opportunity to invest in the Main Street even in this current economic climate,” Bray Town Engineer Marc Devereux said. “We are grateful to the NTA for having faith in the project and recognising the value that it would bring.”

Car parking will be removed from the Main Street and three disabled car parking spaces will be provided off Main Street as well as two loading bays on the west side. Simultaneously, the drainage system is to be updated by making separate provision for storm water, while new lighting standards and street furniture will be added.

“I am delighted to finally get some real good news for Bray Main Street this project is going to give the Town Centre a real lift,” said Cathaoirleach of Bray Town Council, Cllr Mick Glynn. “We need to get the contractor up and running as soon as possible and get work started immediately with retailers helping shape the speedy roll out of the project.
    “The high level design on the project is going to encourage pedestrians to become customers helping the overall prosperity of the Town Centre”
    Contracts for the work will be signed on March 19 and work is expected to begin as soon as possible and will last for seven months.
    “The new 30km speed limit and the provision of a new cycle lane on the Main Street will give the feeling of a much calmer shopping environment for customers” concluded Cllr. Mick Glynn
    The Council is looking for funding to extend the scheme to cover the complete Town Centre Area in 2014.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭mathproblem

very good.. i've always wished they could almost pedestrianize it if only an alternative way of routing the traffic could be found.. this sounds like the next best thing.

hope they do it right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Will the expensive new paving come with chewing gum already applied or will the locals have to bring their own? I'm assuming that Bray UDC look after their pavements as well as Enniscorthy Town Council.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,060 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Yippee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Not looking forward to the traffic while that work is being done...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,060 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

I take it this is now going ahead because the bridge/culvert work is nearly finished?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭NobodyImportant

Boo urns on loosing the last few spots on the main street you could park on to pick up a chinese or run into a shop.

But great news that the road will be re-built and paths will be widened. It can be a pain getting a buggy down the sea side of the main street.

I wish the council would put in some planning restrictions to what shop fronts can look like and the street would look a big more uniform. Some of the buildings are an eyesore.

Advertisement