Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J1 to US, possibly SF

• 05-03-2013 4:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭

I know I know, another J1 thread

I'm finishing up 4th year in the next few months and have always wanted to live in the states for a while. Never liked the idea of a J1 as it was a bit to "studenty" for me. Wouldn't be into house parties or going out every other night etc.
    I'd be doing a j1 purely as it is the easiest method of living and working in the states for a period of time.

I'd love to rent a room and get a job for a few months and just do as little as possible while seeing the area. I've been to San Fran twice since 2010 and absolutely love it, I'd love to live there for a while.

Am I mad trying to do this on my own, ie renting a room that doesn't require a major commute to the city, getting a job over there and being able to breakeven pretty much?

I'm not looking for luxury accommodation, something very clean and in a safe and pleasant area, doesn't have to be very upmarket once its not a dump.

I have a huge amount of experience in the marine leisure industry, from craning boats in and out to working in a boat yard with dinghies, repairing everything under the sun and maintaining small tenders to bring people out to yachts, as well as teaching powerboating for a good while.

They're the sort of areas I'd like to work in, something out doors ideally and would love to be around the water.

Is it viable to find a reasonable room for not a stupid amount of money?
    Say rent is 8-900 a month including utilities and i was earning $450 a week is it possible to live off that over there?

I'll probably be going alone and it's a bit daunting having lived at home all my life!

San Fran is not a definite, anywhere in the states and even canada would be good, but only if SF didn't work out.

Any and all comments are appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 SambaSoup

Hey there,

How are you getting on with your efforts? Was looking at the same myself; wondering if its best to have job sorted beforehand!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

Going ok, job hopefully being sorted but not sure. I do need to get a better handle on finding an affordable place to stay, or get in touch with others looking to share in the city

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭vinylbomb

SF - DO IT.

Best city in the world, accept no substitute.

One other thing - don't live in Berkley or anywhere over in The Bay if you want a real feel for SF. Its too good to miss, honestly.

Advertisement