Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diagonse Aspergers - sligo or near

Options
  • 05-03-2013 5:05pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hi,

And please dont say go to your gp im only looking for advice here not medical info...
    Hope it is ok to ask here but anyone know how to go about getting a girl diagnosed with asper. - my concerns were agreed with the educ. physcologist and she has written a refferal but do i go public i hear private is up on 2,000 and i want to be sure i go to someone in this very area as she is not a black and white case very subtle case and not everyone might agree - the school agrees also.....help as i always knew there was something but it was mostly on the social side.....

thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

Have you had a read here? OK I know its the UK but same process would apply I should imagine. Best wishes.

http://www.autism.org.uk/aboutasds

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭holly8

slig17 wrote: »
    Hi,

And please dont say go to your gp im only looking for advice here not medical info...
    Hope it is ok to ask here but anyone know how to go about getting a girl diagnosed with asper. - my concerns were agreed with the educ. physcologist and she has written a refferal but do i go public i hear private is up on 2,000 and i want to be sure i go to someone in this very area as she is not a black and white case very subtle case and not everyone might agree - the school agrees also.....help as i always knew there was something but it was mostly on the social side.....

thanks in advance

try the Galway Autism Partnetship Facebook page/group - GAP - they have some Mayo people in the group, if not from further flung places .. you might get some direction there. Or try the Special Needs forum on the rollercoaster.ie Discussion at http://www.rollercoaster.ie/Discussions/tabid/119/ForumGroup/1424/ForumView/1/Default.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

You could try the Autism services in Sligo town and see if they can offer any advice. They are on the Mailcoach Road.
    My son was diagnosed with it years ago and it was done at Molloway House the GP wrote a letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

If done publicly, you need to ask your GP/PHN to write a referral to the Early Intervention team, who will meet with you and assess the child and decide who needs to be introduced to the team (SLT, OT etc). From there, it's on to Molloway House for an official diagnosis by a psychiatrist. The fact that you already have the educational psychologist on your side is a great thing, IMO

Privately, I'm not 100% sure. I do know that if you do go down the private route, you still need to make yourself known to the services here, as they won't automatically have your child in the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Jasssss

If at all possible go to professor Fitzgerald in Dublin.He is private but he is the only one that will make sure that if your child is Asperger's that she will be referred to the appropriate clinic/care etc.The cost is around 200 euro but its worth it. Please dont go down the road of handing out thousand's of euro and still been left in the dark the way i did.There is a lot of people with the hand out and yes its for report's of some kind but it's care and attention your child need's and the tool's to deal with this.I wish you all the best as i know it's hard.

• Advertisement
Advertisement