Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carpenters in Toronto

Options
  • 05-03-2013 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi just looking for bit of advice!
    I am looking to move to Toronto with my wife and 2 kids (3&4). My wife will work when she gets out there but initially I would like some sort of work in place before I go. I am carpenter for 15 years, foreman and then Site Manager.

I suppose my initial question is does anyone know of any companies that would recruit overseas workers??

Also, if anyone could recommend a nice family orientated area to live in with good schools??

Any info at all that would help us make up our mind would be welcome :D

Thanks John

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Redrmf

Hi did you ever get any help? Myself and my husband are in the same boat, he's a carpenter with the same experience as yourself, moving in octber to Alberta, most likely Edmonton.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 johnpcarpenter

Hi,
    No, unfortunately got no advice or anything through this post. After looking into it further Canada just wasn't the right place for us. The places that are recruiting get temps of -30 in the winter, couldn't live in a climate like that lol but there was other things that put us off. I am now in Christchurch, NZ which is working out really well.
    Sorry couldn't be of any help, good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭splanagan22

Hi,
    No, unfortunately got no advice or anything through this post. After looking into it further Canada just wasn't the right place for us. The places that are recruiting get temps of -30 in the winter, couldn't live in a climate like that lol but there was other things that put us off. I am now in Christchurch, NZ which is working out really well.
    Sorry couldn't be of any help, good luck!

Hi, how is things in New Zealand now. Is life good and is there plenty of work going on,,I was offered a job there last year but declined and I have been thinking of it ever since. I am a plumber by the way

probably last year you did make the right decision not to come out to Christchurch, I heard a lot of guys came and the work wasn't ready to start and ended up having to come home. Loads of work now, moneys good, plenty of hours and lots of opportunities as things are only going to get busier.

probably last year you did make the right decision not to come out to Christchurch, I heard a lot of guys came and the work wasn't ready to start and ended up having to come home. Loads of work now, moneys good, plenty of hours and lots of opportunities as things are only going to get busier.

How do you find the work. Is it similar to home. Also how is it being so far away from home I'm only 26 but still think its a bit far but I'd love to spread the wings abit and see if I can make some good money for a chance. I'm in london at the minute but it really hard to get good money and the cost of living is dam expensive. I might look into New Zealand again for new year or maybe Canada

• Advertisement

Yeh similar work, some different names but overall the same. It is a long way to go, 27 hrs is the shortest flight you'll get from Dublin. Lovely people, plenty irish,scottish over there. Im 32, its still early days for me Ive been here 9 weeks now, but all really good so far, no rush to go home. Gonna do some holidays in Oz, only 3hrs flight to Sydney. If you want the money you need to travel unfortunately, cant see things getting any better at home. Give me a shout next year if your thinking of heading out & if I can give you any help I will. Good luck

Yeh similar work, some different names but overall the same. It is a long way to go, 27 hrs is the shortest flight you'll get from Dublin. Lovely people, plenty irish,scottish over there. Im 32, its still early days for me Ive been here 9 weeks now, but all really good so far, no rush to go home. Gonna do some holidays in Oz, only 3hrs flight to Sydney. If you want the money you need to travel unfortunately, cant see things getting any better at home. Give me a shout next year if your thinking of heading out & if I can give you any help I will. Good luck

No bother will do and good luck with everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 shamrock02

John how is Christchurch? Couple of us are thinking of going out in november time. 2 joiners and a spark. Is the work hard to find? Would it be a wise move?

Plenty of work around for all trades. Not sure if the spark would need different papers though?? Moneys decent just now but will get much better as the demand for tradesmen increases. Good place to live, plenty of irish bars, good weather, gaa team, all you could want!!

Advertisement