Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2gb of ram installed but only showing 512mb

Options
  • 05-03-2013 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi,

I recently upgraded an old dell computer I had. I installed windows 7 and its working fine apart from being a bit too slow. There was only 512mbs of RAM installed so I took it out and put in a 2gb instead, however it only shows 512mbs of the 2gbs. HELP

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Which model? Are you sure, you have installed the correct type of memory?

Do you get a warning that the amount of memory has changed after the POST screen (DELL logo)? If so, you must go into the BIOS (F2) and save the new configuration (just exit).

• Registered Users Posts: 25,453 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Even with 2GB I'd be reluctant to install Win7, what version was there before?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 skits08

It was windows xp before. I'm not sure if it was the correct type of memory. It's DDR2 667MHZ PC PC-5300 that I put in. Before it was DDR2-800 400MHZ.

I got no warning in the BIOS and can't change any memory settings in it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

what made you choose the ram you used, they are not all the same, and are often system specific, especially on older hardware

try here to see what exact type you need, and what you can max out your laptop with

http://www.crucial.com/eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Merl1n

you should check the dell website for a bios upgrade
    that's a good start

you can check what memory is compatible with your system on memoryc.ie it will should max chip size per bank

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

skits08 wrote: »
    It's DDR2 667MHZ PC PC-5300 that I put in. Before it was DDR2-800 400MHZ.

That's your problem right there.

Google your model followed by crucial, for example:
    Inspiron 1525 crucial

The Crucial website will tell what type of memory is suitable., if 667 MHz is listed, maybe a BIOS update will help.

Advertisement