Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paid rent but maintenance hasn't been done

Options
  • 05-03-2013 6:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭

Heya Guys :D

I viewed an apartment last week, liked it and put a deposit down. Before I handed over any money I asked the agent about fixing up the bathroom a bit. It's generally in okay condition however, the mirror and hand rails are red with rust as is the holder for toilet paper. This is also hanging off the wall with a broken screw.

She said she'd get the landlord to fix it all up before anybody moved in. So I agreed, and have since paid rent for this month. I got the keys today but when I went to the apartment nothing had changed, the rust remains and the holder is still hanging off the wall. I have left a message for the agent, will they fix it?
    Or am I stuck with it since I've paid and all?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Have you signed the lease yet? If so, why did you sign the lease without checking that the promised work had been carried out?

Your best bet is to document all of the problems in the property, in writing and photographically, keep a copy for yourself and send a copy into the agent/landlord and get them to firstly acknowledge the issues (you need this for your own sake for when you move out), and secondly to come back to you with a proposed time frame for repairs. Make sure that everything is done in writing so that you can keep a copy of everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

its a fairly schoolboy error. EA's word isnt worth the paper its written on.

by the sounds of things these items are functional but asthetically not very pleasing to the eye. So legally I dont believe they have an obligation to replace them and if you have moved in and signed a lease and handed over rent and a deposit you have have very little recourse for them to be replaced at this stage.

never ever trust an EA's promises always get everything in writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Isolt

Damn :(

I didn't know that, I just assumed she was telling me the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Isolt wrote: »
    Damn :(

I didn't know that, I just assumed she was telling me the truth.

too trusting im afraid. That said Id hound the life out of them until the sort it. Make it such a pain in the ass to have to keep dealing with your queries till they get the message and do the work.

in future though get it in writing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Isolt wrote: »
    She said she'd get the landlord to fix it all up before anybody moved in. So I agreed, and have since paid rent for this month.

Urgh.. as soon as I read that bit, I thought "oh this ain't gonna end well.."

As others have said, don't be too trusting, and unfortunately you can't take some people at their word.
    Fortunately it could be worse. You could always try picking up those bits yourself in Dunnes or somewhere. Won't be expensive, and a lot of them are standard fittings, so shouldn't require drilling (don't drill under any circumstances btw). You shouldn't have to do this obviously, but it might just be less hassle for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

When it comes to the next months rent , ring a say that you'll give it to them when they come over to do the jobs. Don't sounds aggressive, sound presumptuous and surprised if they say they aren't. Tell them your disappointed to hear that, as that was your understanding when you took the place

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Isolt

Good news, my EA rang me today and asked if she could let the caretaker into the apartment and he fixed everything! Yay :D

Even ordered me a new mirror. But don't worry, I've learned my lesson for the future. :)

Advertisement