Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is .300 h&h mag restricted??

Options
  • 05-03-2013 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭

Tell me this lads, is a .300 h&h magnum restricted?

It's listed bullet diameter is .309 inches, but as 7.8mm, which is the same as a .308. Also 7.8 mm.

I always thought a .308 was 7.62mm. Anyway if anyone knows I'd appreciate it.

Thanks in advance

Tommy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

no it's not restricted. and a .308 is 7.62 it is just the bullet diameter is bigger like a .303 has a bullet diameter of .311-.312 etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

Tommy87 wrote: »
    Tell me this lads, is a .300 h&h magnum restricted?

It's listed bullet diameter is .309 inches, but as 7.8mm, which is the same as a .308. Also 7.8 mm.

I always thought a .308 was 7.62mm. Anyway if anyone knows I'd appreciate it.

Thanks in advance

Tommy
    No not restricted/and 7.62 mm is .308 inch

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Tommy87

Thanks lads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

you do know the price of .300 h&h ammo right ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

It's only restricted to people with superb taste in cool old cartridges.

• Advertisement

It's only restricted to people with superb taste in cool old cartridges.

That will be a .244 h&h for the deer stalking so ;).

rowa wrote: »
    That will be a .244 h&h for the deer stalking so ;).

Or a .275 Rigby. .275 Rigby, .300 H&H, .375 H&H and you've a hell of a battery of old cartridges there!

Edit: Of course, it'd be a Holland and Holland Super .30, rather than a .300 H&H

Or a .275 Rigby. .275 Rigby, .300 H&H, .375 H&H and you've a hell of a battery of old cartridges there!

Edit: Of course, it'd be a Holland and Holland Super .30, rather than a .300 H&H

Seen a few 7 x 57's here and that is of course the same round as the .275 rigby. Ruger chambered a run of rifles in .303 last year or the year before , the first rifles to be produced in that calibre for many years.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭dbrock

rowa wrote: »
    you do know the price of .300 h&h ammo right ?
    My 270 weatherby mag is a 300 H&H cartridge necked down, and that's expensive enough to get and hard to get hold of sometimes, I could only imagine what these are

dbrock wrote: »
    My 270 weatherby mag is a 300 H&H cartridge necked down, and that's expensive enough to get and hard to get hold of sometimes, I could only imagine what these are

Necked down and shortened. Where are you finding .270 Weatherby stuff? Is it a special order job? I'd say it's expensive enough. Another very cool cartridge though, Roy's first!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭dbrock

Necked down and shortened. Where are you finding .270 Weatherby stuff? Is it a special order job? I'd say it's expensive enough. Another very cool cartridge though, Roy's first!

Cheers didn't know it was shortened to,I'm getting the cartridges of pierce of brien at the moment.
    He had one himself lucky enough and has about another 100 rounds left,but it is the lack of cartridges available that has me considering selling it this year,
    pierce has the 140 grain federal trophy bonded claw,

risp-100400-300-a.jpg

.300 H&H in the middle, between a .300 Win Mag on the left and a .300 Weatherby on the right. Easy to see where the H&H got a reputation for smooth feeding from magazine rifles!

Advertisement