Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 2013 Video Game Baftas are on tonight at 9pm, any TV channel showing it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,178 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Being shown on Challenge (whatever that is?) next week monday at 10

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Here ya go! :)

http://www.twitch.tv/bafta

Oops! Just saw you were looking specifically for a TV channel. I checked the TV listings earlier and nobody is showing it live. Sorry!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Best Debut Game:
    Deadlight
    Dear Esther
    Forza Horizon
    Proteus
    The Room
    The Unfinished Swan - WINNER

Original Music:
    Assassin's Creed III
    Diablo III
    Journey - WINNER
    Thomas Was Alone
    The Unfinished Swan
    The Walking Dead

Story:
    Dishonored
    Far Cry 3
    Journey
    Thomas Was Alone
    Mass Effect 3
    The Walking Dead - WINNER

Sports/Fitness:
    FIFA 13
    F1 2012
    Forza Horizon
    New Star Soccer - WINNER
    Nike+ Kinect Training
    Trials Evolution

Game Innovation:
    Call of Duty: Black Ops II
    Fez
    Journey
    Kinect Sesame Street TV
    The Unfinished Swan - WINNER
    Wonderbook: Book of Spells

Artistic Achievement:
    Borderlands 2
    Dear Esther
    Far Cry 3
    Halo 4
    Journey - WINNER
    The Room

Online/Browser:
    Amateur Surgeon Hospital
    Dick and Dom's HOOPLA!
    Merlin: The Game
    Runescape
    The Settlers Online
    SongPop - WINNER

Ones to Watch:
    Pixel Story
    Project Thanatos
    Starcrossed - WINNER

Game Design:
    Dishonored
    Borderlands 2
    Far Cry 3
    Journey - WINNER
    The Walking Dead
    XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Strategy:
    Dark Souls: Prepare To Die
    Diablo III
    Football Manager 2013
    Great Big War Game
    Total War Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai
    XCOM: Enemy Unknown - WINNER

Family:
    Clay Jam
    Just Dance 4
    LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes - WINNER
    LEGO the Lord of the Rings
    Minecraft: XBOX 360 Edition
    Skylanders Giants

Audio Achievement:
    Assassin's Creed III
    Beat Sneak Bandit
    Dear Esther
    Far Cry 3
    Journey - WINNER
    Halo 4

Mobile:
    Incoboto
    LittleBigPlanet (Vita)
    New Star Soccer
    The Room
    Super Monsters Ate My Condo
    The Walking Dead - WINNER

Performer:
    Adrian Hough (Haytham) - Assassin's Creed III
    Danny Wallace (The Narrator) - Thomas Was Alone - WINNER
    Dave Fennoy (Lee Everett) - The Walking Dead
    Melissa Hutchinson (Clementine) - The Walking Dead
    Nigel Carrington (The Narrator) - Dear Esther
    Nolan North (Nathan Drake) - Uncharted: Golden Abyss

Multiplayer:
    Assassin's Creed III
    Borderlands 2
    Halo 4
    Journey - WINNER
    Need For Speed Most Wanted

British Game:
    Dear Esther
    Forza Horizon
    LEGO: The Lord of the Rings
    Need for Speed Most Wanted
    The Room - WINNER
    Super Hexagon

Action:
    Borderlands 2
    Call of Duty: Black Ops 2
    Far Cry 3 - WINNER
    Halo 4
    Hitman: Absolution
    Mass Effect 3

Best Game:
    Dishonored - WINNER
    Mass Effect 3
    FIFA 13
    Far Cry 3
    Journey
    The Walking Dead

Academy Fellowship:
    Gabe Newell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,521 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Wow, fantastic night for Journey.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Kinda annoyed BL2 didn't win anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,962 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Dishonored won Best Game? I thought a lot of people found it to be very disappointing? Haven't played it myself but if people think it was a worthy winner, might pick it up in the future

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

How was Black Ops 2 even nominated for Innovation????

It's a rehash of the same formula they've been using for the past 5 COD games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,962 ✭✭✭✭Penn

BizzyC wrote: »

But it had a new hat...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Penn wrote: »
    But it had a new hat...

Really, ****.
    I'd better run out and buy it...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Penn wrote: »
    But it had a new hat...
    Where's TF2's awards then? I call shenanigans!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Logical_Bear

Really, ****.
    I'd better run out and buy it...

dont :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

There should defo have been an award for best hats :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Dishonored winning best game is a bad joke. Played it for one weekend, cleared it, never touched it again. At best, it was an enjoyable game with a few good ideas.

Should have gone to Journey or The Walking Dead.

I just think it's funny something like Fifa 13 even got nominated for Best Game. I struggle to take something like that seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,389 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Game Innovation:

Kinda devalues all the rest of the games nominated for anything there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

games dont have to be long to be great
    dishonored was a fantastic game. It had a brilliant world, the characters and plot were above average for a game, the missions were fun and not exactly linear, it looked fantastic and as a game it was excellent, the powers were great fun to play around with. It was too easy as a "shooter" but it's not a shooter, that element just seemed tacked on to get a few sales.. it was a stealth game and it was a very good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Delighted to see Journey get the recognition it deserves. Dishonored winning best game is a strange one alright but it's not the worst decision in the world I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

Always controversy at the Bafta's. :cool:

I know Black Ops II being nominated for 'Best Innovation' is controversial, but Journey winning 'Best Multiplayer' is hilarious... :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Falthyron wrote: »
    I know Black Ops II being nominated for 'Best Innovation' is controversial, but Journey winning 'Best Multiplayer' is hilarious... :pac:

Why? It was certainly the only multiplayer experience I had last year where my stress levels didn't cause me to damage myself/my TV/my controller.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

BLOPS2 for innovation... ****ing hell, what a joke lol.

The MP one is a bit odd, tho in fairness.. its not like the rest of the nominees were great either. No GW2/D3/CS:GO/Planetside 2 ? Without playing borderlands 2, i'd safely say it was a more deserving winner of the MP.

Don't understand how Journey can win Best MP, Best Audio, Best Game Design, best and Artistic achievement and not win GOTY.

These awards/nominations are usually not worth talking about except for how bad/wrong they are anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,223 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Otacon wrote: »
    Why? It was certainly the only multiplayer experience I had last year where my stress levels didn't cause me to damage myself/my TV/my controller.

To be fair this is your own fault and not the games.

Black Ops getting nominated is a joke an Walking Dead should have one best game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Magill wrote: »
    The MP one is a bit odd, tho in fairness.. its not like the rest of the nominees were great either. No GW2/D3/CS:GO/Planetside 2 ? Without playing borderlands 2, i'd safely say it was a more deserving winner of the MP.

Journey fully deserved the best multiplayer award. All the rest were rehashes of the usual deathmatch or co-op found in every game since 1993. Journey took multiplayer elements and used them to enhance the emotional experience of it's game. It's up there with Demon's Souls/Dark Souls as being the only two games this generation to do something new with multiplayer and I'd dare say Journey was probably even more impressive in it's use of multiplayer than the amazing Dark Souls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Journey fully deserved the best multiplayer award. All the rest were rehashes of the usual deathmatch or co-op found in every game since 1993. Journey took multiplayer elements and used them to enhance the emotional experience of it's game. It's up there with Demon's Souls/Dark Souls as being the only two games this generation to do something new with multiplayer and I'd dare say Journey was probably even more impressive in it's use of multiplayer than the amazing Dark Souls.

The award wasn't "What is the most innovative or unique multiplayer". As well done as Journey's multiplayer was, it's multiplayer aspect just isn't nearly as good as the 4 games i mentioned, which weren't even nominated, whether they're rehashed ideas or not would have been irrelevant. I haven't really played the ones that were nominated, but BL1 had excellent MP and i've heard great things about halo4. I guess its wrong for me to judge which should have gotten the award since I've only played Journey.

Thats just my opinion anyway, i know you don't like/play multiplayer so its no point debating about it since we've different tastes in games as MP is something I've always enjoyed.

Personally, I would understand the award 'Best Multiplayer' as the best game where multiplayer was a major (if not the most) important component to that game and it was executed brilliantly to provide hours of entertainment to a large amount of people.

Who here bought Journey because it is a brilliant multiplayer game? Who here says 'I think I will jump into Journey for some multiplayer'?

However, games like COD, Borderlands 2, and even Assassin's Creed are generally bought because of their multiplayer experiences.

Journey is a single player game with a very small sociable multiplayer element to it. If you took that away, would Journey be any less off? No. And for me, that is the crux of the argument.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Just because Journey didn't provide hours of entertainment doesn't mean that it's any less of a game than a game that people sink hundreds of hours into. For me Journey provided about 4 hours of the best gaming I had all of last year.

Also it might have been a game you can enjoy in single player mode but if you play it that way you are missing out because the social aspect added a huge amount to the game. Without it you are missing out on a social, shared experience with another player and the bond you form with them over that journey.

Saying Journeys multiplayer wasn't good because you only played it a few hours is like dismissing a short film because it's run time isn't 90+ minutes and frankly ridiculous.

For me journey was the best use of multiplayer aspects in any game I've played and I'd take another game that used the same methods over any competitive online multiplayer mode that are a dime a dozen these days.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,542 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

If you took that away, would Journey be any less off? No. And for me, that is the crux of the argument.

Actually the answer is yes.

Because Journey is about crafting a silent, almost spiritual connection with another player. It's about sharing the experience, and cooperating in subtle but rewarding ways. It ensures the game's pivotal set pieces are emotionally resonant. The final ascent would have held none of its power without a companion. It is something some people will connect with more than others, but its impossible to sufficiently emphasise how much the multiplayer is key to Journey's bold artistic ambitions.

Multiplayer isn't just about endless hours of grind, death match and PvP - games have offered that for decades albeit with less of the mindless levelling inherent in today's MMO world. Journey is one of a handful of games brave enough to rock the status quo. It is peerless not only last year but almost throughout gaming history. Furthermore, the community of loyal companions still playing and assisting newcomers to discover the game's hidden secrets is testament that it is a game many people have gotten hours and hours of joy out of.

If that doesn't justify acclaim and praise, I don't know what does. In a world of superfluous multiplayer and shoehorned in deathmatch, the likes of Journey are increasingly vital.

Just because Journey didn't provide hours of entertainment doesn't mean that it's any less of a game than a game that people sink hundreds of hours into. For me Journey provided about 4 hours of the best gaming I had all of last year.

Also it might have been a game you can enjoy in single player mode but if you play it that way you are missing out because the social aspect added a huge amount to the game. Without it you are missing out on a social, shared experience with another player and the bond you form with them over that journey.

Saying Journeys multiplayer wasn't good because you only played it a few hours is like dismissing a short film because it's run time isn't 90+ minutes and frankly ridiculous.

For me journey was the best use of multiplayer aspects in any game I've played and I'd take another game that used the same methods over any competitive online multiplayer mode that are a dime a dozen these days.

I am not disputing it's length or entertainment value, I am simply saying that a small 'co-operative' element does not weigh in on the term multiplayer if we consider games like Guild Wars 2, Planetside 2, Diablo III, Black Ops 2.

Perhaps I am being a little obtuse, but for me, a single player game is a game that can only be completed by one person. It takes only you and you alone to make your way through the story, e.g Alan Wake. A multiplayer game is a game that requires multiple people to complete or win. It encourages interaction, team work, against challenges where no single person could possibly gain victory (Battlefield 3 or a raid in WoW).

I applaud it's use of a social element and shared experience, but this category was not 'Best innovative multiplayer' or 'Best use of multiplayer in a single player story', it was simply 'Best Multiplayer'.

From the Journey wiki: 'In each level, the player may come across one other player temporarily connected to their game. When players approach each other they charge one another's scarves. They cannot communicate with each other beyond patterns of singing. Players can help each other by activating strips of cloth or showing paths, but cannot hinder each other and are not necessary for completing any level.[2] When two players finish a section at the same time they remain together into the next one; otherwise they are connected to new players when they move on. While all of the figures generally look the same, individual players can be told apart by unique symbols which are shown floating in the air when they sing and are displayed on their robes at all times.[5] The entire game takes about two to three hours to complete.

As I said, fantastic idea, great concept, etc. However, where is the community, where are the clan websites, where is the team work against an insurmountable task requiring large numbers of people? This is a small, occasional social event whereby you get assistance from a randomer who may only stay for a few minutes before you meet the next randomer.

Again, great game and I am delighted it won multiple awards, but it did not deserve 'Best Multiplayer' in the strictest sense of the words used to denote the criteria of the category.

(IMO)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

there was a thingy in it that let you see through walls, it was like a whole new franchise.

• Advertisement

As I said, fantastic idea, great concept, etc. However, where is the community, where are the clan websites, where is the team work against an insurmountable task requiring large numbers of people? This is a small, occasional social event whereby you get assistance from a randomer who may only stay for a few minutes before you meet the next randomer.

And that's where you just don't get it. Journey doesn't need any of that because it takes the status quo of multiplayer and turns it on it's head. It's not like anything that has gone before it. It doesn't need clans or community. It just isn't that type of game.

Also just because a game doesn't require multiplayer to beat it doesn't mean it's not a multiplayer game. I know lots of people that solo Diablo, PSO and MMO's, does that make them not multiplayer? You might say you are missing out on aspects of the game if you solo it but sure the same can be said of Journey. I'm sorry but your deifinition of a multiplayer game is extremely out dated and doesn't make sense in this day and age, especially when game like Dark Souls and Journey are doing some many new things.

Advertisement