Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

S2S Cycleway - northside

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

mrcheez wrote: »
    So looks like we won't have to worry so much about cars driving up on the new bike lane. It's pedestrians (joggers/dog-walkers especially) that will take ownership of the new lane... already seeing people using it for this purpose despite the bollards up and I can sort of understand why they think it's for walkers considering the width.

I reckon it will be a matter of weeks by the time we hear of the first cyclist caught in a dog-lead on this stretch.

Hopefully the painted on cyclist "signs" on the pathway are yet to be put down :)
    Although that didn't stop the guy I saw walking this morning on the cyclepath just south of the south bull wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

Kinda hard to tell in the dark light, but I think it does form a new path.

After this point the view is obstructed by cars/motorbikes so this is the closest shot

400102.png

Was up here last night. Seemed to me like, at the arrow where you've written "new path begins". You then have to cross the road to get into the bike lane on the LHS of the road, cycle to the lights, and then cross the road again to get onto the bike lane on the RHS after the causeway road. Is that correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,767 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Was up here last night. Seemed to me like, at the arrow where you've written "new path begins". You then have to cross the road to get into the bike lane on the LHS of the road, cycle to the lights, and then cross the road again to get onto the bike lane on the RHS after the causeway road. Is that correct?

I don't think so... I'll check next time

Afaik, they are continuing the lane on over where the white signs are at the mo

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

The current builders' compound on the seaward side of the road is where the cycle path will go. The crossing point is presumably for traffic heading up towards Raheny.

cdaly_ wrote: »
    The current builders' compound on the seaward side of the road is where the cycle path will go. The crossing point is presumably for traffic heading up towards Raheny.

Yeah pretty much this... the path will continue straight on toward the causeway junction, had a look last night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

Latest update from DCC seems to be that the road will re-open at the end of next week, but that the cycle path will not open until January or February.

That's gonna be fun. I'll be cycling mid-lane with a 'perfectly good'* cycle path beside me and no room for overtaking...

Also, the area is really nice at the moment with no through traffic. The residents should band together and obstruct the road permanently.

*building site

Also, the area is really nice at the moment with no through traffic.

I'd say the residents are loving it being blocked off along their street!

I wonder are they receiving any sort of compensation.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Veloce150

Compensation?

In effect, Dublin City Council is building the new and very expensive cycle lane so that the residents can park free of charge on the public road in the space originally marked out for an inexpensive cycle lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,359 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Veloce150 wrote: »
    Compensation?
    In effect, Dublin City Council is building the new and very expensive cycle lane so that the residents can park free of charge on the public road in the space originally marked out for an inexpensive cycle lane.

If we're talking about the area in the picture on post #303, there are no residents there except for the ducks of the duck pond. It's the section with St Annes to the left and the sea to the right.
    It had a free public car park for visitors to that part of the St Annes. That car park closed for the entire duration of the works with no indications as to when it will re-open.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

Compensation?

Huh? There won't be any on-street parking as the road is narrower.

I'm talking about the area opposite the houses where people are blocked from accessing their driveways easily (without having to go a circuitous route).

Huh? There won't be any on-street parking as the road is narrower.

I'm talking about the area opposite the houses where people are blocked from accessing their driveways easily (without having to go a circuitous route).

The stretch from Dollymount to Mount Prospect had a nominal cycle lane but this was useless as residents always parked on it. The cost of builing that part of the S2S could have been avoided if the council had simply banned on-street parking there and done some enforcement.

if the council had simply banned on-street parking there and done some enforcement.

where in Dublin has that EVER been enforced? ;)

Point is, I'm sure the residents there would revel in the idea of continuing the traffic blocking and want the job finished as fast as we do.

I've been using the finished section opposite St Annes for a few weeks now. Very nice, though will be a magnet for joggers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

How expensive was the bike lane? Not much I'd say.

Part of the works was to lay that huge pipeline. The council would have had to make good the surface anyway, so it was a relatively simple thing to reallocate space into a decent cycle lane(s) and another lane(s) for motor vehicles. I doubt it cost a lot more than painting on a new lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

Almost all of the work was for the pipeline and sea defence. The cycle lane is being laid on top of the pipeline as part of the finishing stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭learn

Almost all of the work was for the pipeline and sea defence. The cycle lane is being laid on top of the pipeline as part of the finishing stage.

That pipeline will be going to Sutton ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,569 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

dunno about that, but the recent work certainly wasn't.

Latest update from DCC seems to be that the road will re-open at the end of next week, but that the cycle path will not open until January or February.
    Latest news from Clontarf is that the contractors have asked for the road closure to be extended for another 5 days, meaning the road would not open until Dec 3rd.

Then, thay say, the lane width will be 3 metres each way staing that 'normal traffic' and cyclists would be sharing this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

'normal traffic' and cyclists would be sharing this.

Not a cycleway, then?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Just to January, then the cycle track will open

Normal traffic and cyclists :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Normal traffic

dukes-of-hazzard-ban.jpg

De Bhál wrote: »
    Just to January, then the cycle track will open.
    I'm curious to know if there will be on-street parking between the wooden bridge and Mount Prospect?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

I'm curious to know if there will be on-street parking between the wooden bridge and Mount Prospect?

Yes, there will be.

monument wrote: »
    Yes, there will be.
    And will on-street parking be allowed when the cycleway is non-operational?

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭learn

And will on-street parking be allowed when the cycleway is non-operational?

Not possible to cycle where parking spaces are.

From Dunlin City Council:
    Clontarf Road, Dublin 3.

KN Network Services Ltd. intends to close the following road to facilitate road resurfacing works on the dates and times listed below:

Clontarf Road (from Mount Prospect Avenue to Kincora Road), D. 3 from 00.00hrs on Monday 28th November 2016 to 24.00hrs on Friday 2nd December 2016.

This is an extension to the existing temporary road closure that was due to end at 24.00hrs on Sunday 27th November 2016.

Chuchote wrote: »
    Normal traffic

dukes-of-hazzard-ban.jpg

Why did I think "Swords club kit" when I saw that?...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Why did I think "Swords club kit" when I saw that?...

Cos we ride around in cowboy hats?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

etf6ee.jpg

An idiot trucker posted this on FB today with the tag "Why Motorists hate Cyclists!!!" One of the comments read "Make them bonnet mascots". DCC have announced that the cyclepath will not open till January and Clontarf Residents Association have pointed out to them that cyclists sharing the narrowed road is dangerous. I know I would use as much of the cyclepath as possible whether it is "open" or not.

• Advertisement

An idiot trucker posted this on FB today with the tag "Why Motorists hate Cyclists!!!" One of the comments read "Make them bonnet mascots". DCC have announced that the cyclepath will not open till January and Clontarf Residents Association have pointed out to them that cyclists sharing the narrowed road is dangerous. I know I would use as much of the cyclepath as possible whether it is "open" or not.

I use it all the time now. Would be nice if they cleared the path of the stones, or added some sandbags for mounting the kerb at the Clontarf end (you can get up on the path from the Raheny end easily enough thanks to the drainage inserts).

But lovely to cycle along there (albeit briefly) in the evenings with the moon shining over the coast.

Advertisement